How long does regular nail polish last on artificial nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just what confuses me is the tech said this overlay will grow out with my nail and needs no maintenance.

In a perfect world thats what would happen. Did she actually say that or say 'hopefully with this overlay you'll only need to come once a month' - I never promise my clients any kind5 of results, especially at first appointment, I have no way of knowing the future as I don't know the clients behaviour. I can tell them how the products will behave if cared for correctly, I can tell them my plan for their service going forward but I can't guarantee anything.

I tell my clients I do 25% of the work in the 60ish minutes they're at my table, the other 75% is purely down to them, I have no control the second they leave my desk hence no guarantees.

In a perfect world thats what would happen. Did she actually say that or say 'hopefully with this overlay you'll only need to come once a month' - I never promise my clients any kind5 of results, especially at first appointment, I have no way of knowing the future as I don't know the clients behaviour. I can tell them how the products will behave if cared for correctly, I can tell them my plan for their service going forward but I can't guarantee anything.

I tell my clients I do 25% of the work in the 60ish minutes they're at my table, the other 75% is purely down to them, I have no control the second they leave my desk hence no guarantees.
See that’s the thing she said it will. Not maybe. Not possibly. Not ideally. I told her I rather leave it as just a mani if it’ll lift. I wouldn’t have gotten it if it was going to lift. She assured me it won’t and that if I like I can come in for a monthly mani but that it would not be necessary. Very well reviewed place. Very expensive place. Top rated. Recommended..

Maybe there is something wrong with me! Idk. So now I’m confused if she is trustworthy because of all of my awful experiences. She said if I’d like I can come once a month but it’ll just grow off 100% if not. I asked a million times if she is sure and she said yes. I told her my experience, my desire result and told her I am aware she can’t make magic. Tbh I just want something that’ll ease me into making my nails healthy and normal again. I know it’s a process and tjust want clean natural nails. I’m tired of the acrylics and hard gels and shellacs. If she had told me this is not guaranteed I wouldn’t have put them on 😢 She booked me next W for a 45 minute appointment before all the lifting but I am not sure if that’s enough to file off the lift and reapply the gel reached out to her and see she read the message but no response. I wish there was just a plan that will help me get what I want. I don’t mind brutal honesty. I rather that than lies or magic thinking. Tbh I’d go every 2 weeks but I live in US and my husband doesn’t want me out that much due to implied dangers. I told her this too. If I had known ugh now idk if I should go back for a fill. Idk if I find someplace else idk 🤷‍♀️ idk what next service should be
It is tough because although I know there’s a bigger picture I have very bad ocd with my nails. You can’t tell in mirror but I can tell and it drives me craazy

[Moderator Note: photo identity protection]

Attachments

• 764244F9-26D0-45E9-8C3A-56B6535DA0B1.jpeg
    764244F9-26D0-45E9-8C3A-56B6535DA0B1.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
If I had known ugh now idk if I should go back for a fill. Idk if I find someplace else idk 🤷‍♀️ idk what next service should be
It is tough because although I know there’s a bigger picture I have very bad ocd with my nails. You can’t tell in mirror but I can tell and it drives me craazy

We have told you time and time again not to keep bouncing around, and here you are again talking about finding another tech. You're not listening, so I'm not convinced you're listening to your tech either.

If you want natural nails then make the decision and go for it. This will involve having whatever you have on removed, either soaked or filed. Then invest in natural nail strengthener, not hardener, plenty of solar oil and a bucket load of patience to allow them to grow out. Then get natural nail manicures regularly, 2/3/4 weekly whatever your Tech suggests for you specifically.

I have very bad ocd with my nails. You can’t tell in mirror but I can tell and it drives me craazy

Oh we can tell!!! 😆 ;)

We have told you time and time again not to keep bouncing around, and here you are again talking about finding another tech. You're not listening, so I'm not convinced you're listening to your tech either.

If you want natural nails then make the decision and go for it. This will involve having whatever you have on removed, either soaked or filed. Then invest in natural nail strengthener, not hardener, plenty of solar oil and a bucket load of patience to allow them to grow out. Then get natural nail manicures regularly, 2/3/4 weekly whatever your Tech suggests for you specifically.

Oh we can tell!!! 😆 ;)

haha I gusss you can tell. I do listen to the techs. I guess I’m just disheartened because all of the problems. Welllll it is what it is

Yes it's lifting, I absolutely knew there would be some because I could see it starting already on the first pictures you posted. I didn't say anything at the time as I knew it would start you fretting and looking for how to 'fix' it, so decided to wait until you mentioned it yourself. Book an appointment asap and let your Tech sort it out. No you can't fix it, no there is nothing you can do in the meantime apart from leave it alone, yes you still need to use your solar oil in the meantime.

Should it happen? Preferably no but you keep bouncing from tech to tech so it's impossible to sort them because its not an instant fix, your tech needs time to establish the 'type' of nails you have, how they behave and grow, then the tech can build a treatment plan that works for you. I warned you there would be potentially be issues and this is why.

Some clients are 'lifters' and need extra prep and products, some are bulletproof and never get lifting, some can go 6 weeks between appointments, some need every 10 days, it takes time to know those things. 'There is no one size fits all' - I suspect you are a lifter who needs extra prep and 2 week appointment. You might not like it but if that's how your nails behave then that's what's needed for great nails. Its for you decide if you want that level of cost and commitment, if not discuss it woth your tech and work out what does work for you instead.

Just an update... the tech messaged me back and said it will grow out and last forever but to use a 280 grit to gently file any "lifts" away when I see them in the meantime. Is that advisable? I am going to her Wednesday so plan not to touch it. I want her to just fix it up

haha I gusss you can tell. I do listen to the techs. I guess I’m just disheartened because all of the problems. Welllll it is what it is

Just an update... the tech messaged me back and said it will grow out and last forever but to use a 280 grit to gently file any "lifts" away when I see them in the meantime. Is that advisable? I am going to her Wednesday so plan not to touch it. I want her to just fix it up

Dear God in Heaven!! What the hell?!? Absolutely no, never, ever tell a client to buff off lifting.

I'm hoping we have a member near you who can put you on the right road, it sounds like you're not having much luck finding a decent one.

Dear God in Heaven!! What the hell?!? Absolutely no, never, ever tell a client to buff off lifting.

I'm hoping we have a member near you who can put you on the right road, it sounds like you're not having much luck finding a decent one.

Ok seeeee lol I am having such awful freaking luck. I pay an arm and a leg. I go to top notch places. Damn. So I SHOULD go to someone else?? Ugh. I live in New Jersey in the US. I would loooove recommendations. :-/ I always follow the tech's advice. I'll buy ANY product they ask me to buy. haha. I do have OCD 100% with my nails but the aftercare... I wear gloves all the time when cleaning, I use solar oil at least 10x a day lol :( I just want a good tech.

I’m going to give her a second chance. I feel you’re advice to at least TRY to keep the same person may help. I am thinking of redoing the overlay and applying gel polish over it. In the case of another lockdown... again I live in NJ so have to be prepped for that. Would I be able to soak it off?? No overlay is hard gel but the gel polish is not

I’m going to give her a second chance. I feel you’re advice to at least TRY to keep the same person may help. I am thinking of redoing the overlay and applying gel polish over it. In the case of another lockdown... again I live in NJ so have to be prepped for that. Would I be able to soak it off?? No overlay is hard gel but the gel polish is not

@PitaBread, you have been advised several times to leave your nails alone until they have recovered properly. Please listen to what is being recommended, this is just going round and round in circles.

@PitaBread, you have been advised several times to leave your nails alone until they have recovered properly. Please listen to what is being recommended, this is just going round and round in circles.
You’re right

I don't want this to come across as mean but you are expecting way too much.
If you had come to me with all these questions and demands I would have lost interest in you a long time ago.
Trinity mentioned earlier that techs do 25% of the work..... we are not miracle workers.
Like I said I am not trying to be mean but have you thought that the nail techs might just be telling you what you want to hear?
They are most probably giving you suggestions to be polite.
I wish you the best in your journey to strong natural nails.

I hear you all. You're all right. I have to add I do have chronic anxiety and I take it out on my hands. I used to have such nice nails before the pandemic, but the uncertainty of when I can go again has gotten me quite upset. So I am sorry if I have seemed a bit loopy about this all.

I was just talking to the nail tech last night and that is what she suggested tbh so I thought it was ok. I really should take your advice and trust this one person and just stick with it. I went to her the first time and told her everything like I told you. I showed her the damage and asked should I just stick to quick manis. She said no, and put this thing on my nails. Last night, she told me she used natural nail boost gel on my nails and sent me this video to help educate me. She said it is meant to repair damage but lifting can be normal because she is getting to know me. She said I can file it down with a 240 grit gently in the meantime if it is bothering me. But she said she'd prefer for me to wait and our plan tomorrow is to file all the scraggly bits off, reapply, and put a gel color to seal it in. But that's where I am not so sure adding gel is a good idea or anything at all... because of all you guys said. lol So I am sorry I made that followup. This is the link she sent me.

Anywho I get it. I truly appreciate all the help and advice you've all been giving me. It has been :)

I hear you all. You're all right. I have to add I do have chronic anxiety and I take it out on my hands. I used to have such nice nails before the pandemic, but the uncertainty of when I can go again has gotten me quite upset. So I am sorry if I have seemed a bit loopy about this all.

I was just talking to the nail tech last night and that is what she suggested tbh so I thought it was ok. I really should take your advice and trust this one person and just stick with it. I went to her the first time and told her everything like I told you. I showed her the damage and asked should I just stick to quick manis. She said no, and put this thing on my nails. Last night, she told me she used natural nail boost gel on my nails and sent me this video to help educate me. She said it is meant to repair damage but lifting can be normal because she is getting to know me. She said I can file it down with a 240 grit gently in the meantime if it is bothering me. But she said she'd prefer for me to wait and our plan tomorrow is to file all the scraggly bits off, reapply, and put a gel color to seal it in. But that's where I am not so sure adding gel is a good idea or anything at all... because of all you guys said. lol So I am sorry I made that followup. This is the link she sent me.

Anywho I get it. I truly appreciate all the help and advice you've all been giving me. It has been :)

I think this is good plan from her perspective and yours.

I think this is good plan from her perspective and yours.

yup but I’m notgoing to expect miracles. I know it’ll take patience

Just an update... she said it wasn't lifting. In person she said it just grew out a little bit and I must have taken a pick before I moisturized with cuticle oil. Idk how accurate that is because it conflicts with what I am hearing here lol That is what the issue is. Like you guys said do not put anything on and I was not going to but she said I should put something small on (the boost gel) to let them grow strong, you said it is lifting but she said it is not... IT IS SO TOUGH because you guys ROCK and I feel you're honest... but again, sticking with her for awhile until the nails grow strong. :)

Just an update... she said it wasn't lifting. In person she said it just grew out a little bit and I must have taken a pick before I moisturized with cuticle oil. Idk how accurate that is because it conflicts with what I am hearing here lol That is what the issue is. Like you guys said do not put anything on and I was not going to but she said I should put something small on (the boost gel) to let them grow strong, you said it is lifting but she said it is not... IT IS SO TOUGH because you guys ROCK and I feel you're honest... but again, sticking with her for awhile until the nails grow strong. :)

I'm uyst looking at pictures, I can't see the angles I woukd6see6in person. If she says no lifting, then we have to believe and trust in her skills. Lets hope you have no issues and your next scheduled appointment goes well too

I'm uyst looking at pictures, I can't see the angles I woukd6see6in person. If she says no lifting, then we have to believe and trust in her skills. Lets hope you have no issues and your next scheduled appointment goes well too

Yes I’m going to trust her. I trust you all too!! Lol but I guess pics can be hard to see. I need to give her time.

She said she has 20 years experience and that sometimes when the clear stuff grows out it can show a little foggy stuff but that a lift is when it’s literally coming off my nail which she showed me it was not. She said my nails are not in the worst damage she seen. She said they scuffed the surface of my nails so there’s scratches but that they still had a little product so the nail isn’t too too thin. She said she’d like me to come in every 3 weeks for now.

She used the boost and some polish. I’ll continue to update lol 😂 you guys have to be invested at this point. My next appointment is October 14 but I’m prepped for possible issues. She said solar oil them like nuts and I shall

Attachments

• 68B7E6FA-4DDD-4B26-B327-80860C76A2D0.jpeg
    68B7E6FA-4DDD-4B26-B327-80860C76A2D0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Ok I am panicked a little. I am hearing news in my area non-essential businesses may close again due to a rise of the virus... uggggh GOD FORBID I am locked down again, what the hell do I do??? I am so panicked. :(

Ok I am panicked a little. I am hearing news in my area non-essential businesses may close again due to a rise of the virus... uggggh GOD FORBID I am locked down again, what the hell do I do??? I am so panicked. :(

No point in panicking, you can't change it. According to your tech it will just grow off as your nails grow so theres nothing to do.

No point in panicking, you can't change it. According to your tech it will just grow off as your nails grow so theres nothing to do.

True true lol I’m just worried god forbid they lift. She did warn me yesterday it is a possibly as like you said nothing can be guaranteed. I guess I’ll check in with you when and if that happens. Fingers crossed it does not. I’m so tired of this pandemic. I also feel awful for the tech if they close because of finances. I’m gonna swing by later and give her an extra tip for all the work she has been putting up with me lol it’s just insane!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back