How long does regular nail polish last on artificial nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave it alone, if you can wait until Tuesday without picking, fiddling or interfering with it then wait, if you can't leave it alone then call and reschedule. No please don't file it. You will break the 'seal' even more.

Leave it alone, if you can wait until Tuesday without picking, fiddling or interfering with it then wait, if you can't leave it alone then call and reschedule. No please don't file it. You will break the 'seal' even more.
You got it! Thanks!

Oh one last thing... should I schedule my next one in 2 weeks seeing I have his little peeling? It doesn’t bother me much but I am worried about greenies you guys mentioned before. Want to do everything right for my healthy nails i

Oh one last thing... should I schedule my next one in 2 weeks seeing I have his little peeling? It doesn’t bother me much but I am worried about greenies you guys mentioned before. Want to do everything right for my healthy nails i

I've said before I think you are a 'two week'er' so if funds permit I would suggest 2 weekly appointments are best for you. The moment you get an issue, it stresses you out too much. If you were my client I would prefer you came too early than too late. You'd drive me mental 😆 :p;)

I've said before I think you are a 'two week'er' so if funds permit I would suggest 2 weekly appointments are best for you. The moment you get an issue, it stresses you out too much. If you were my client I would prefer you came too early than too late. You'd drive me mental 😆 :p;)

LOL, I have a feeling I definitely would but I do tip a lot!! I really should. They earn it working with me. Ok I’m going to do every two weeks.

Ok, I went yesterday. When I got in, I was told my girl had an emergency and couldn't get in but set me up with another tech who she told all the instructions to. I mean, if I had known I would have waited for my tech because that’s what you all have been saying— no hopping. DANG. But I trusted my nail tech putting me in her hands.

She filed the layers off with the drill and a buffer but did not touch the nail bed! She walked me through everything. She put a base coat, a thin thin layer of hard gel I believe, and the gel polish. The thing is... This lady did them a wee bit thinner. She told me she was impressed the nails lasted about 3 weeks and this must mean my nails are not as weak as I believe them to be. She told me 7 more weeks to go for healthy nails and if we shut down again god forbid as numbers are getting higher, to leave them on but keep filing them short and if they fall off just let them 😆 and then oil up and nail strengthener. Idk. I wish I went to my usual tech. I mean I know BOTH book out quick and she was nice, too, but I liked the idea of going to someone who knows me well. She did spend a good hour 15 on my nails though.
The thing is they kind of hurt now. Like when I had my nails removed. I’m wondering if this is normal with all the filing? Like they’re a little sensitive.

Attachments

• EB603651-7441-4865-A1AB-2607247E4C15.jpeg
    EB603651-7441-4865-A1AB-2607247E4C15.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
There's no point in worrying or questioning it now, it's done.

Yes with hindsight it would have been better to wait for your preferred tech but we are where we are.

I'm disappointed they hurt, that implies potential over-filing but I don't know that for sure, it might just be sensitivity to the pressure of a new set.

Book in with your preferred tech for 3 weeks, continue as before with your Solar Oil and Hydrating lotion.

There's no point in worrying or questioning it now, it's done.

Yes with hindsight it would have been better to wait for your preferred tech but we are where we are.

I'm disappointed they hurt, that implies potential over-filing but I don't know that for sure, it might just be sensitivity to the pressure of a new set.

Book in with your preferred tech for 3 weeks, continue as before with your Solar Oil and Hydrating lotion.

Thanks as always. I wish I had the better sense to walk out lol 😆 I guess I felt too bad. So dumb sometimes with courtesy!! I’ll update you.

Also I am gonna book her for three weeks and let her know if any emergency just the cancel and I’ll be back another day.

I guess I felt too bad. So dumb sometimes with courtesy!!

It takes courage to say no in the rush of the moment, don't beat yourself up about it - we've all done it

It takes courage to say no in the rush of the moment, don't beat yourself up about it - we've all done it

Thanks. It's my Achilles' heel. :)

This is such a random question. I guess I am just sort of curious and fascinated by the nail processes now. I've been watching so many videos. I notice a lot of times when the nail techs do nails on Youtube they take the dremmel to the natural nail like in the video below:

Like before she adds tips is exactly how my nails look under all the little thin piece of hard gel she put on. I really honestly don't want to ever do acrylics/hard gels again if this is the reality even after my nail is 100% healthy and strong again. LOL. I do use organic hair color so it'd be all natural from here on out. XD But I wonder, is that just a part of the practice all the time? The damage?

It occurs to me because the nail tech the other day said there's no way to ever give a "new set" without getting any damage... so she prefers often to do fills and work with the "old sets..." idk, I know my fascination is weird. I am just so curious. :)

I am a hairstylist and I guess I am getting into nail interest. XD

THANKS.

If the tech has been properly trained in the use of an e-file, we don't call them Dremels as they are a brand of craft drills for DIY/woodworking/etc., then they can be safely used on natural nails BUT with the correct bits and at the appropriate speed. Unfortunately not all techs use the correct methods and tools andvthe e-file is lethal in the wrong hands, this results in over-filed, thin nails. It's incredibly easy to over file natural nails with a hand file let alone a high speed electric bit of kit.

I very rarely remove a whole set, I rebalance/in-fill as necessary. There is no need to remove product that is still securely attached so why bother. I also hand file rather than e-file. Many choose an e-file to assist with carpel tunnel issues, etc.

If the tech has been properly trained in the use of an e-file, we don't call them Dremels as they are a brand of craft drills for DIY/woodworking/etc., then they can be safely used on natural nails BUT with the correct bits and at the appropriate speed. Unfortunately not all techs use the correct methods and tools andvthe e-file is lethal in the wrong hands, this results in over-filed, thin nails. It's incredibly easy to over file natural nails with a hand file let alone a high speed electric bit of kit.

I very rarely remove a whole set, I rebalance/in-fill as necessary. There is no need to remove product that is still securely attached so why bother. I also hand file rather than e-file. Many choose an e-file to assist with carpel tunnel issues, etc.

Haha, yea I use a Dremel on my dog's nails. Should have realized.

Interesting. Thanks. Sounds like filing the product off is tough work though without the efile. I really would like to train in this one day. LOL. It is interesting to me. haha

Sounds like filing the product off is tough work though without the efile.

Depends on your product. The cheap, chop shop style nail bars knocking out £20 sets in an 40 minutes are probably using cheap and nasty monomer with a banned ingredient called MMA. This is too hard to be filed by hand so thats why they always use efiles. A good quality product doesn't need to be applied thickly, it will be strong and well adhered to a correctly prepped nail. A well structured nail is strong without being thick. Only lifted product needs to be buffed off and the apex thinned at next appointment. If the initial work was done correctly this buffing shouldn't take long and doesn't require an efile*

Gel is much softer to file and I wouldn't use an efile at all on gel

Gel polish should ge soaked off natural nails. That said I've seen techs efile it off natural nails and it sets my teeth on edge and makes me cringe.

* unless doing colour blocking, dark colour fades, design work and gew design is required so tge whole lot needs to come off

I really would like to train in this one day.

If you are genuinely interested buy a copy of The Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman. I think the latest version is 4th Edition. Its availablein Amazon, etc. It'll give you something to do if the world goes into lockdown again. If you read that book you will one if the best nail educated people around.

Depends on your product. The cheap, chop shop style nail bars knocking out £20 sets in an 40 minutes are probably using cheap and nasty monomer with a banned ingredient called MMA. This is too hard to be filed by hand so thats why they always use efiles. A good quality product doesn't need to be applied thickly, it will be strong and well adhered to a correctly prepped nail. A well structured nail is strong without being thick. Only lifted product needs to be buffed off and the apex thinned at next appointment. If the initial work was done correctly this buffing shouldn't take long and doesn't require an efile*

Gel polish should ge soaked off natural nails. That said I've seen techs efile it off natural nails and it sets my teeth on edge and makes me cringe.

* unless doing colour blocking, dark colour fades, design work and gew design is required so tge whole lot needs to come off
Yes I know those shops. I used to go a

Interesting. I went to salons that took like 45 minutes to an hour to rebalance. My new place takes such a long time. About an hour and thirty minutes. But I assume it is because they are doing the right thing for me. They drill the top down and use the file typically to get the rest done off. I do trust this place a lot, to be honest.

Just so interesting. I always thought the thicker the hard gel, the longer it'd last. LOL. XD Well thank you for the education :)

If you are genuinely interested buy a copy of The Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman. I think the latest version is 4th Edition. Its availablein Amazon, etc. It'll give you something to do if the world goes into lockdown again. If you read that book you will one if the best nail educated people around.

I am adding it to my cart as we speak XD

I am adding it to my cart as we speak XD

This could be a realy bad idea 😆 😆 :po_O

You do realise that once you know this stuff you can't unknow it and you'll never trust another nail tech again as you'll know exactly what they're doing wrong? ! ;)

This could be a realy bad idea 😆 😆 :po_O

You do realise that once you know this stuff you can't unknow it and you'll never trust another nail tech again as you'll know exactly what they're doing wrong? ! ;)

lol it may be good that I’m informed for the next times😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back