How long for home business to get busy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
Hi there!
I started my home business just 2 weeks ago and i’ve had 14 clients so far who all I tend on returning. I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well it’s gone, however, I only have a couple more clients booked in and I’m curious to know how long it may be before I can expect a busy full day of clients? Any other home businesses managing to make a proper income and busy? How busy were you in your first weeks of opening? Did you constantly keep posting your business on social media?

I think the rule of thumb is 2 years to become established and busy consistently and start marking profit.

It's been 2 years for me, I only do it part time but I'm pretty busy now

How are you all advertising, I'm just starting aswell.

My second year was my year. It always gets better too.The first year is so much learning and experience on figuring out how to run your business and you will be able to plan your next year based on what you did this year. Good luck!

I'm going to do my price lists again as I wassent happy with them as I had made some mistakes. Do you have another job or did you? I think I will need a partime job aswell for now..

I can't imagine anyone could set up from scratch, with no existing client base and become fully booked that quickly. As well as advertising, word of mouth is very beneficial as I think we all feel more comfortable trusting a therapist who comes highly recommended, so this obviously takes a bit of time to build up a good reputation.

I used to have a part-time job (16 hours per week, term time only), and so didn't have a huge salary to start with so I have been in a more fortunate position of not being under as much pressure as I would have been if I was trying to match a full time salary. However, I still kept my part time job for the first 8 months. But this has been my only job for the past 16 months now and I'm still not as busy as I'd like to be because I need to actually earn more than I was in my part time job as I have to claw back the huge setting up costs and on-going cost of products.

My daughter started her business (makeup, lashes, brows, spray tans and waxing) part-time after finishing college last year and went full time in November. She is busier than I am already which she puts down to constantly advertising on Facebook and Instagram - (something she says I really need to do more of!) She is young and the majority (but not all) of her clients are young too. I'm not sure if this is because she's advertising on social media, or because of her age she's reaching a certain audience ?

Yes maybe. It's not easy is it, I will advertise on social media once I'm ready. I really would like to re do an acrillic course and try to master it. But it takes so much practice. Thanks for your reply.

I’m not working so keeping costs as low as I can simply by limiting my services. Those services I am offering are of good quality though. I haven’t gone for cheap products. I’d like to think I’ll be earning a reasonable income in a couple of years time. I’ve kind of allowed myself that time limit to decide whether or not it’s going to work. But I do find myself spending more before I’ve even started to recoup any of my costs.

I’m not working so keeping costs as low as I can simply by limiting my services. Those services I am offering are of good quality though. I haven’t gone for cheap products. I’d like to think I’ll be earning a reasonable income in a couple of years time. I’ve kind of allowed myself that time limit to decide whether or not it’s going to work. But I do find myself spending more before I’ve even started to recoup any of my costs.

I think allowing 2 years sounds reasonable. I'm certainly hoping by the end of this year to reach where'd I'd like to be. I spend way too much on nail products! I keep saying I won't buy anymore gel polishes for a while and then I see new pretty colours and I'm sucked in!

I’ve done just over a year and still feel that I’m building up. I still notice the clients I’ve lost more than I have gained. I hoping by the end of this year I’ll be much busier :) xx

Latest posts

Back