How long have you been in business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how long are you in business?

• 0-1 years

Votes: 105 29.0%
  • 1-5 years

Votes: 118 32.6%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • 10 + years

Votes: 76 21.0%

• Total voters

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
and as a foot note
would you describe yourself as doing well or struggling?

for me, i'm self employed since 1992 so 20 years

and i'm doing well.

how are you all doing?

I've been self employed for just over 2 years. Can't say I'm doing well money wise (yet), but I have a growing client base and have just switched from mobile to working from home so the only way is up (baby!):)

Interested to see what others are up to.

On hold:) I always ran my business as a side line bit of sanity to balance my job as a bus driver. Following a crash, not my fault, I had to stop working on the buses and decided to take the plunge and go to college. So I'm not doing much with my little home salon until college finishes, next June.

10+ years and never been busier!!

1 year and really busy. Not enough hours in the day!

7 years and doing well x

8 years, ticking over nicely, but to be fair I am inherently lazy :lol:

Been self employed since 1988, was mobile for a long time but have had my own beauty salon for the past 5 years and it's really busy :)) I couldn't be happier.

Four years! I stopped for a year because I was working so full time somewere else when I started up again I got most of my old clients back! Its been awesome!

Since 1998, so 14 years now. Work is steady but I only work as a nail professional part-time on weekends.

Well. I can beat you all! I became licensed in California in 1977. No, that's not a typo, 1977. I have done so many wonderful things in these years, taught, company rep, ect. I've always done hair and nails, and always said that I made more money standing up than sitting down.
Then Shellac came along! I barely have a time slot on my books to do hair anymore, and I'm making more money than I ever have.
Oh, I rent two booths at an upscale salon...hair station and nail table. Thinking about giving up the hair station, just because I use it so seldom. I now live in Arkansas, a far cry from California, but it's a State where NSS are the norm. Clients love the professionalism and education level they find in our salon.

Live in Aberdeen Scotland,qualified hairdresser for 12 years ,been self enployed for 6 renting a chair but but recently built a salon in my house after having leukemia last year and continuing to work 4 days rent chairs full time and get chemotherapy twice a week for 10 mouths been working from home since may love it ,have qualified in mani ,pedi ,waxing,tanning and gelish in the last fue months too have spent a small fortune doing all this but its defiantly worth it as im fairly bizy have the odd quiet day like everyone, would struggle to work for someone else now although it would have been handy whan sick :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

6+ years. Was doing very well, then I took a break when my marriage ended but have recently started business again and things are building .... slowly lol

18 years and my lovely clients always keep me busy :D

I have now been over 13 years in this industry, and a bit like Susandoesnails, I have done a bit of everything, nail tech,educator, rep, had a break and now back to nail tech.
I am only part time self employed, and I am doing quite nicely thank you.
I could do more if I pushed myself, but I am quite happy doing what I am doing with enough time to spend with my other half and still building up a nice clientele of lovely ladies.

Don't panic if you are quiet, it happens to everyone :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was actually the 5 year anniversary to when I started my business, though we call 5th September our actual salon birthday.

We're doing really well, the salon has come so much further than I ever hoped it could when I set up my little home nail & beauty room 5 years ago.

16 years this year and never been busier which ties in well with my plans to expand this year as my son is going to high school so i'll have more time for work.

I've been in the business going on 8years now. But I have only recently started out on my own. I am currently fairly busy with mobile clients. My hope is to open a home salon around the 1 year mark and offer both mobile and salon treatments :)

Latest posts

Back