how long is acceptable for cancelling appts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatabeauty

Reaction score
i hope someone can give advice, i booked to go and have electrolysis yesturday (only 10 mins session) my appointment was at 2.00 and i had to cancel at 12.15. i rebooked for today at 2.00 but i forgot i am supposed to be taking my children bowling with their friends at 1.00 so i have cancelled again (9.30 today) i re booked again for 7.45 tonight, i am determined to go tonight although i am meant to be going to the gym, i will probably miss the gym though just for my 10 mins appointment, the thing is when i phoned to cancel again the women seemed a bit ticked off! i havent booked in for a set of nails or anything i didnt think rescheduling a 10 mins appointment would be a big deal, but apparently it is. would anybody else be a bit ticked off if a client rung up in what i consider plenty of time and if so how long is acceptable to cancel b4 an appointment, i feel really guilty now.

hi,

I would have to say that 24 hours or over is only acceptable when cancelling an appointment, the only reason i know this is i'm a qualified Dental Nurse and know what it feels like to have people cancel, did she not charge you for cancelling?
the only reason the lady was ticked off is because somebody else could of had that appointment,but not if cancelled short notice, so in fairness it's her time being wasted.

don't feel guilty, i'm sure she's fine as long as you keep your next appointment.

Pen x
p.s hope you don't think i'm being rude x

Hi there!

24 hours is acceptable in my book, the reason being I plan and organise my day around appointments (whether they be 10 mins or 2 hours) so whilst I'm never rude if a client cancels at last minute, when they come in for their next appointment I point out my 24 hour cancellation policy, then if they do it again I know they are just taking the ****.

This is of course when I AM working and not being bored brainless sitting at home after an operation! dull dull dull. J xxx

I agree that 24 hours is right. Although it is only a 10 min appt, she might have turned away another client for that time because you were booked in & now she's lost both sales. I don't mean to be rude but these are the things that client's do not realise. In big salon's where there is a lot of passing trade & a lot of walk-ins this might not be a problem but for a 'one man band' it can make a difference.

Sorry to put a downer on you and not being rude but must agree with the others 24 hours or maybe first thing in the morning (i know you did the second time) but after two cancellations i would too be getting a little ticked off only because that appointment could have been filled with another appointment. As long as you make the one tonight im sure she will be ok x x

If you keep changing the appt, albeit out of your control, she's going to start wondering if you will keep each one you make & possibly expect you to cancel whenever you book. You know that you do plan to go but she won't unless you tell her. It's like a arranging to meet a friend who keeps postponing. I'm sure it's annoying for you to have to keep changing as you obviously want it done or you wouldn't book it in the first place but it is also for her. I hope this has answered your question ok xx

whatabeauty said:
i hope someone can give advice, i booked to go and have electrolysis yesturday (only 10 mins session) my appointment was at 2.00 and i had to cancel at 12.15. i rebooked for today at 2.00 but i forgot i am supposed to be taking my children bowling with their friends at 1.00 so i have cancelled again (9.30 today) i re booked again for 7.45 tonight, i am determined to go tonight although i am meant to be going to the gym, i will probably miss the gym though just for my 10 mins appointment, the thing is when i phoned to cancel again the women seemed a bit ticked off! i havent booked in for a set of nails or anything i didnt think rescheduling a 10 mins appointment would be a big deal, but apparently it is. would anybody else be a bit ticked off if a client rung up in what i consider plenty of time and if so how long is acceptable to cancel b4 an appointment, i feel really guilty now.
Sorry hun but IMO an appointment is an appointment either 10 minutes or half an hour, I am not surprised she seemed a bit ticked off - imagine if all her clients did this even for 10 minutes

this drives me made when client do this to me for nail art, manicure or a set....sorry honey but you need to try and be more organised and if you have to cancel give her 24 hours so shes not losing money - or you might find yourself getting a bill for your missed appointment...

What does IMO stand for?

Bunny said:
What does IMO stand for?
In my opinion - just learnt it myself lol!

Oh, I get you. I'll have to try & use that myself today! Whatisbeauty, I bet you're glad you asked now!! LOL!! At least you get honest opinions on here x

Hi

we ask for at least 3 hours notice.

24 hours notice is about right we have a cancellation policy , if you don't ring and cancell within 24 hours we charge 50 % fee as yet we haven't had to do this but we have had a client who booked an appointment for colour correction (2-3 hours) and didn't turn up no phone call or anything she did this 3 times and then my boss said she couldn't have any more appointments thats when we brought in the cancellation policy. We lost over £100 worth of bussiness each time she didn't turn up so you can see why she was a little annoyed.

I guess this is one of those situations when if it happened to us we'd be livid (they are in business to make money) but when it's us that's doing the cancelling, we can't see what the problem it.

When clients cancel reguarly for whatever reason the relationship suffers. I lose trust in people and when they make a booking for a lengthy procedure or at a busy time I dont feel they deserve it. I know that sounds harsh but a few people let me down a Christmas and I had been turning people away when I could have used the spaces.

If you have made an appointment after cancelling previously you should try your hardest to keep it. The gym is also an appointment - it is one with yourself so you are double booked and one will have to give.

Latest posts

Back