how long should bio gels last once opened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi,
I just wanted some suggestions to why my no.1 white gel has gone slightly tacky,doesnt seem to be as smooth as it used to be,if you know what i mean,ive had it since bout April this year ,i havent been using it on a daily basis just every now and again,i wondered if there was a certain length of period they lasted for.Im pretty sure ive kept it away from the curing lamp,as ive learnt from doing this before with another gel,all my other gels seem ok apart from the white one,and whilst im on the subject of the white gel,do you geeks find it goes dull ,grey looking after a couple of weeks of it being on the nails...oh and i do stir the gel x:irked:

Hi,
I just wanted some suggestions to why my no.1 white gel has gone slightly tacky,doesnt seem to be as smooth as it used to be,if you know what i mean,ive had it since bout April this year ,i havent been using it on a daily basis just every now and again,i wondered if there was a certain length of period they lasted for.Im pretty sure ive kept it away from the curing lamp,as ive learnt from doing this before with another gel,all my other gels seem ok apart from the white one,and whilst im on the subject of the white gel,do you geeks find it goes dull ,grey looking after a couple of weeks of it being on the nails...oh and i do stir the gel x:irked:

Bio gel should pretty much last indefinately. Any chance your table light (not lamp) is slightly curing it? Certain types of lights will. I had a halogen lamp and had to replace it as I was told it will cure the gel. Also is your pot open near any windows where sunlight might come in?

The white gel doesn't seem to discolour for me - it's the clear gel that's over top. It starts to discolour into the 2nd week. Do you use S Gel? That seems to somewhat help with discolouring.

Bio gel should pretty much last indefinately. Any chance your table light (not lamp) is slightly curing it? Certain types of lights will. I had a halogen lamp and had to replace it as I was told it will cure the gel. Also is your pot open near any windows where sunlight might come in?

The white gel doesn't seem to discolour for me - it's the clear gel that's over top. It starts to discolour into the 2nd week. Do you use S Gel? That seems to somewhat help with discolouring.
MMm,im using a daylight lamp,i used to use a halogen till my Bio trainer told me to get rid of it,i dont work near a window,and yes i definatly use s gel,i use sealer as a base,s gel if need be,layer of pink (french),two layers white,then S Gel.

MMm,im using a daylight lamp,i used to use a halogen till my Bio trainer told me to get rid of it,i dont work near a window,and yes i definatly use s gel,i use sealer as a base,s gel if need be,layer of pink (french),two layers white,then S Gel.

I have clients who love Bio but there's no doubt that is does grey/yellow. One thing that helps with clients who are eager to keep them fresh and white: I retail them a spongeboard and a topcoat (Calcrystal from Calgel). Once they buff the nails a bit gently, it removes the yellowed/discoloured gel - since it's only the top clear coat that is yellowed/greyed. Then apply topcoat. It really makes a difference.

As for the thickening gel, I just checked mine, and the white is a thicker consistency than the clears. Not sure what that's all about....

Yes, I've found my white goes thicker (and a bit stringy) after a while and it becomes more difficult to work with.

When I get a new pot I decant half of it into another (cleaned) pot so I'm only using a half at a time which keeps the other half nice and new. I also find adding a bit of 'blanc' to it stops it being so sticky.

Bio recommend using Sealer gel under and over the white to stop it fading/going yellow, but I still find it loses its brightness. Akzentz Brite White works well.

I use a Daylight light too which Bio said was OK, but maybe it's not.

Can you tell me what your views are on Bio overall,ive read a few threads on here saying its not strong enuff over tips,ive done sculptures that have gone soft,i havent been sculptured trained,have just refered to my manual,just wanted to know what you thought on it for sculptures,and which ones you found the strongest,i dont know ,occasionally i feel i should of spent my money on a diff. product, not unless i havent had enuff use of it,or maybe i could do with some more training,but obviously i dont want to spend out more on the product if its only ok for overlays.xxxxI am pleased with it for toe nails,some georgous colours.. xxx

Can you tell me what your views are on Bio overall,ive read a few threads on here saying its not strong enuff over tips,ive done sculptures that have gone soft,i havent been sculptured trained,have just refered to my manual,just wanted to know what you thought on it for sculptures,and which ones you found the strongest,i dont know ,occasionally i feel i should of spent my money on a diff. product, not unless i havent had enuff use of it,or maybe i could do with some more training,but obviously i dont want to spend out more on the product if its only ok for overlays.xxxxI am pleased with it for toe nails,some georgous colours.. xxx

I agree that Bio is great for toes and colours. I have used it to sculpt and have been very happy with it. It makes a nice thin but strong sculpt, but it's not strong enough for tips in most cases. I've never had a problem with Bio sculpts being soft.

I am looking to train with Brisa because of the whole discolouration thing. I have also tried the sealer on top but don't notice it helps. When I have a french overlay, I want it to maintain it's fresh colour. To test it out, I had a Brisa overlay put on myself and it is exactly the same colour over 2.5 weeks later. I must say clients ask for Bio by name and some wouldn't be convinced to have anything but Bio on their nails.

Also, I know a lot of geeks find Calgel stronger. I haven't really noticed a difference, but for me I find the Bio sculpting gel easier to use and to get a thin sculpt. I find that Calgel clear is more prone to yellowing if it's overcured. That's my take on it. hths!

Also, I know she's not available right now, but Zingara is a real Bio expert and has given me some great advice in the past throught PMs. You might want to get in touch with her when she's back.

I agree that Bio is great for toes and colours. I have used it to sculpt and have been very happy with it. It makes a nice thin but strong sculpt, but it's not strong enough for tips in most cases. I've never had a problem with Bio sculpts being soft.

I am looking to train with Brisa because of the whole discolouration thing. I have also tried the sealer on top but don't notice it helps. When I have a french overlay, I want it to maintain it's fresh colour. To test it out, I had a Brisa overlay put on myself and it is exactly the same colour over 2.5 weeks later. I must say clients ask for Bio by name and some wouldn't be convinced to have anything but Bio on their nails.

Also, I know a lot of geeks find Calgel stronger. I haven't really noticed a difference, but for me I find the Bio sculpting gel easier to use and to get a thin sculpt. I find that Calgel clear is more prone to yellowing if it's overcured. That's my take on it. hths!

Also, I know she's not available right now, but Zingara is a real Bio expert and has given me some great advice in the past throught PMs. You might want to get in touch with her when she's back.
Ok thanks peeps,glad its not just me what do other Bio experts think on the product?

I have clients who love Bio but there's no doubt that is does grey/yellow. One thing that helps with clients who are eager to keep them fresh and white: I retail them a spongeboard and a topcoat (Calcrystal from Calgel). Once they buff the nails a bit gently, it removes the yellowed/discoloured gel - since it's only the top clear coat that is yellowed/greyed. Then apply topcoat. It really makes a difference.

As for the thickening gel, I just checked mine, and the white is a thicker consistency than the clears. Not sure what that's all about....

i always advice my clients to use topcoat over the top as it does seem to stain quite easily

i always advice my clients to use topcoat over the top as it does seem to stain quite easily
I normally do too ,but they dont always use Bio top coat which i thought could be the prob.

I find Bio sculptures work well although I don't like doing them.

A lot depends on the client and her lifestyle. Some really like Bio sculptures, some prefer overlays, some can manage OK with Bio over tips and others can't, and some just prefer L&P. It's trial and error - no one thing suits everyone.

You've got to be comfortable working with the product too!

What type of sculptures do you do Curly qs?

I only do sculpts to repair a broken nail or corner of a nail, not a full set. When ppl have come back with a sculpted nail, I have been pleased to see it stayed put as I'm lacking in practice. I primarily use Bio for NNO.

I only do sculpts to repair a broken nail or corner of a nail, not a full set. When ppl have come back with a sculpted nail, I have been pleased to see it stayed put as I'm lacking in practice. I primarily use Bio for NNO.

I agree with you here - do sculpts for repairs and breakages but dont advertise for a full set, although I have done them.

I havent noticed any consistency problems with the coloured or white gels, but I do agree that the white does discolour. It is the s-gel i have problems with in retaining the consistency.

I only sculpt the odd one or two,the first time i done a full set of sculpts i used silk as well,after about a week they went soft,so i phoned Bio and they said i should do the sculpt training as i havent done it yet,well dont think im gonna be doing it now im looking for a different product to do me sculpts with,and i also feel im loosing out on money because im turning down peeps that want extensions and i aint got no convidence in the product,and i know there keep coming back with complaints..so frustrating when you pay out all that money and now ive gotta pay out for another course on a stronger product that will be better for sculpts.

I only sculpt the odd one or two,the first time i done a full set of sculpts i used silk as well,after about a week they went soft,so i phoned Bio and they said i should do the sculpt training as i havent done it yet,well dont think im gonna be doing it now im looking for a different product to do me sculpts with,and i also feel im loosing out on money because im turning down peeps that want extensions and i aint got no convidence in the product,and i know there keep coming back with complaints..so frustrating when you pay out all that money and now ive gotta pay out for another course on a stronger product that will be better for sculpts.

Debbie dont lose faith.

When done properly the sculpts do last and I have many clients that sculpts have lasted during the original sculpt and infills (although it is recommended that you soak bio off after every other infill).

I would recommend that you do go for the sculpt training as there are clients that this is still the best option for. If a client has broken one nail and all the others are OK sculpting is crucial for this client. My view on the softer gels is that it is designed for the clients that have more confidence in the softer gel helping them to grow length in their own nails.

I do agree that it is a good idea to have an alternative to offer the clients who Bio isnt quite right for but it is worth sticking with.

Latest posts

Back