How long should it take for file, cuticle work and polish??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarstorm

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

It would really help me if you could give me a rough idear on how long a file , cutiecle work, base, 2 x colour and top coat takes you?? also how much longer does French take you compared to a soild colour ?

I've been asked to do a ladies night at a local school and they have surgested I offer mini manicures and pedicures. They also are going to get people to prebook their appointments throughout the evening with the different therpists, so I need to give them a list of what I will be able to offer and how long each treatment will take.

Now here comes the problem, I have NEVER done just a file and polish, so have no idear how long it would take and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm too keen on that option, as I can't see how I can do a nice tidy and close polish job without doing the cutiecle work. How long sholuld just file and polish take ???

I've lined up a few ginunie pigs for the weekend, so I can see how long I actualy take but I have to give an answer by Friday:Scared:

My worry is that I know I take too long with my PEP (about 20 - 25 mintues :o) My husband let me have a go on his nails tonight and I could have cried when I timed myself, it took me 45 mintues just to shape and polish his nails.

Now I should point out, that I have not used "normal polish" for months and even then it's only been on myself, so I am out of practise with polish. I do think I can do it quicker than 45 mintues and will be having another go for 4 tomorrow night.

The other thing is I do Shellac, so should I offer Shellac as a treatment instead of polish?

My husband kept saying I was being too picky ( I was picking fault with the application ) and pointed out that no matter what I do, I always find something I'm not happy with when I do nails, so maybe I am being too careful???

I will not be the only nail techician at the event, so want to make a good impression.

Sam xx

A full manicure with normal polish takes me about 45 minutes although as i chat a lot and depending on how bad their cuticles are it can take up to 1 hour. And 1 hour 15minutes for french.

I offer Shape n Polish as one of my services. It only usually takes between 15- 20 minutes. I did a charity day party of shape and polishes too about 6 girls but I cant remember how long it all took as it was very relaxed and not one after the other.

I just cut/file the nails, base coat, colour x2 and top coat. It can be frustrating if they have thick cuticles cos you just wanna sort it out for them! But yeah bout 20 minutes at the most. I dont do gels/acrylics so all i use is polish so i am more familiar with it .
xx

If you want to cut the timings

Take only 5 or 6 colors to pick from then they won't take ages picking and change mind,

Don't offer French

Use lumos base & top

Do dry prep (push back ,nip what's hanging off)

Use the file spray to sanitize Files,

Use orange wood sticks and dispose for the cuticle pushing,

Spray with Cnd solar speed to finish (drys polish and is a nice finishing solar oil type spray)

Hi Geeks,

It would really help me if you could give me a rough idear on how long a file , cutiecle work, base, 2 x colour and top coat takes you?? also how much longer does French take you compared to a soild colour ?

I've been asked to do a ladies night at a local school and they have surgested I offer mini manicures and pedicures. They also are going to get people to prebook their appointments throughout the evening with the different therpists, so I need to give them a list of what I will be able to offer and how long each treatment will take.

Now here comes the problem, I have NEVER done just a file and polish, so have no idear how long it would take and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm too keen on that option, as I can't see how I can do a nice tidy and close polish job without doing the cutiecle work. How long sholuld just file and polish take ???

I've lined up a few ginunie pigs for the weekend, so I can see how long I actualy take but I have to give an answer by Friday:Scared:

My worry is that I know I take too long with my PEP (about 20 - 25 mintues :o) My husband let me have a go on his nails tonight and I could have cried when I timed myself, it took me 45 mintues just to shape and polish his nails.

Now I should point out, that I have not used "normal polish" for months and even then it's only been on myself, so I am out of practise with polish. I do think I can do it quicker than 45 mintues and will be having another go for 4 tomorrow night.

The other thing is I do Shellac, so should I offer Shellac as a treatment instead of polish?

My husband kept saying I was being too picky ( I was picking fault with the application ) and pointed out that no matter what I do, I always find something I'm not happy with when I do nails, so maybe I am being too careful???

I will not be the only nail techician at the event, so want to make a good impression.

Sam xx

i would just offer mini Manicures and this is the easiest, cut out the mini pedicures they take too long. for a file and polish i take 10-15min, 45min is just crazy :p you CAN NOT be super picky, as professionals we always see faults in our work but the client is always satisfied even if we think the job wasnt the best. stop being so hard on yourself! :) :)

DO NOT offer french or shellac polish, this takes too long and you really want to try and get as many potential clients in as you can. many things can go wrong with the shellac application when your in a "rushed" scenario and then people with talk. just regular polish, fast drying top coat and only 5-6 colors max for them to choose from.

Practice before with friends and family and promote, promote, promote yourself! :hug:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for posting this thread! I have my 1st pamper evening in March x

Great advice from Mizzy Dizzy ... I advise to take it.

Thanks for your replies so far.

So the I should forget doing the cuticle work with cuticle away and my metal tools and instead just push back the eponychium with a orangewood stick, the nip off any cuticle that may need it. Then applie base, 2 x colour (forget french or a 3rd coat for CND effects) and tops coat. Apply solar oil and they should be good to go, so to speak. How long should I allow for each time slot ? (should I allow say 5 mins for anything going wrong, like them smudging one???)

I already use Lumos base and top coat but do not have the Solar Oil spray as I thought you have to let Lumos air dry for 10 mintues before you applied Solar Oil as it would effect the Lumos's ability to do it's job porperly. So am I wrong about not putting anything on top of Lumos for 10 mintues? If I am, I'll order the spray as it will save time :).

I was wondering how many polishes to take with me, so thanks for the extra advice on only taking 5 or 6. What colours would you recommend? i.e dark, pale or bright colours like pinks, reds or dark along the lines of Fedora ?

One last thing (for now anyway :lol:) they have asked me to tell them when I would need breaks. Now it is only for 3 hours, so will I need a break. I used to work on the tills at Tesco when I was in collage and we could easly be sat there of 5 hrs before we would get a break and then it was just for 15 mintues. This was fine most of the time and only a probelm if you really needed to toilet. So should I allow a slot for just incase I need the toilet and a drink, say half way through say for 10 or 15 mintues? or should I not bother with allowing for a break and hope I don't need to go?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for you help.

Sam xxx

You should continue to do your cuticle work ... I never leave out cuticle work.

You also cannot remove sufficient cuticle with an orange-wood stick in my opinion. You need a good metal tool made for the job particularly if you are doing a dry PEP.

I did a pamper evening not so long ago (and have another one tomorrow night, too) where I provided nail shape, cuticle work, polish and 3 arty flicks on the ring fingers. I was there for 3 and a half hours and did 18 ladies... soooo that works out at 11-12 minutes for each set. You really don't have to be picky :)
Don't rush but don't be too critical of your work either! Also, if you stay calm and relaxed the time just flies by. Have fun :p

xx

This thread has been really useful as I have a pamper evening next week and it my first. I was unsure how long to take.
Thank you!
x

Great advice Mizzy Dizzy :) much appreciated for newbies like me! Thank you! xx

If you want to cut the timings

Take only 5 or 6 colors to pick from then they won't take ages picking and change mind,

Don't offer French

Use lumos base & top

Do dry prep (push back ,nip what's hanging off)

Use the file spray to sanitize Files,

Use orange wood sticks and dispose for the cuticle pushing,

Spray with Cnd solar speed to finish (drys polish and is a nice finishing solar oil type spray)

great advice as usual mizzy

So the I should forget doing the cuticle work with cuticle away and my metal tools and instead just push back the eponychium with a orangewood stick, the nip off any cuticle that may need it. Then applie base, 2 x colour (forget french or a 3rd coat for CND effects) and tops coat. Apply solar oil and they should be good to go, so to speak. How long should I allow for each time slot ? (should I allow say 5 mins for anything going wrong, like them smudging one???)

Don't do French or effects. Use the brief time you have with each client to TALK about all the other things they COULD have if they booked a full manicure with you and make sure they take a business card with them. These evenings are supposed to offer a taster treatment. Offering them something that makes them want to book in with you instead of another therapist that evening. You need to treat these evenings as time to promote yourself and gain future clients.

If they smudge a nail, just make sure it's after they've left your table... lol

If you go with metal implements, which I recommend, don't forget your disinfectant, and at the very least, two sets of tools. (one in the cleaner whilst the other being used).
Hope I'm not totally stating the obvious, here, but once, I didn't think of this... Thank heaven they were sisters, and insisted they didn't care, but I had to just clean with acetone between I couldn't just NOT clean them...gasp!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I have done a couple of pamper nights at my friends house. She has me doing file and polish, another girl doing threading and another girl offering mini facials/back massages. She then promotes her little business which is selling nick nacks like jewellery, wooden hearts and other unique ornaments for the kitchen etc. It's been great doing it but she always has a house full so I've had no option but to literally just do a file and polish as so many want their nails done I have to be super quick to get through everyone. I did cuticle work the first time and it took forever, so the last couple of times I have literally just done a file to get the shape looking nice and then a polish using lumos base and top coat and CND colours as they dry super quick, I also paint on some solar oil and this speeds up the drying time even more. I only charge £5 at these nights, as it's meant to be a quick taster of what I offer and during the time spent with me, I talk about Shellac (usually because I have it on and they ask me what polish I'm wearing) and all the other things I offer at my salon. I always have a queue of people waiting for me, love it! :)

Each person has been really pleased with their nails and has asked for a leaflet and quite a few have been to each pamper night and have had them done again because they were so happy with them (now just to get them to come to me for Shellac instead! Lol)

Pamper nights are good fun, a great way to network and get yourself known locally and a great way to earn some pennies, even at a discounted rate. I love doing it, I have another one in March and this time have been asked to go to a friend of a friend's house instead as she wanted to hold one. Really looking forward to it!

Oh and I also do as Mizzy has said, and I take my file and abrasive spray so that I can disinfect my file, I take a load of OWS with me just in case someone has really bad cuticles that do require a quick bit of attention and then just a selection of polishes, my cuticle oil and a nice big stack of leaflets and cards :D

Latest posts

Back