How long should it take to complete set of sculptured gel extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struggling newbie

Reaction score
Hi. Could someone tell me what is the average time it should take to do a full set of sculptured gel extensions? My time is 3 hrs at the moment. Still a bit new and but I'm feeling more confident the more I do. Is 3 hrs completely off track?

An hour and a half us acceptable, less is good. Speed is not important, good prep, well structured nails are.

Wow! An hr and a half is fantastic. Hopefully the more I do them, the faster I will get. But as correctly stated, I can't compromise on prep or quality of the structure, and we all need to start somewhere. I Just feel bad for clients having to sit for so long.

Wow! An hr and a half is fantastic. Hopefully the more I do them, the faster I will get. But as correctly stated, I can't compromise on prep or quality of the structure, and we all need to start somewhere. I Just feel bad for clients having to sit for so long.
I’m in the same position, new and slow... ☺️ I work on friends and family for now, we get a reason to meet up, a nice long chat, and they get a very good discount in return for the long service ☺️ If your clients don’t mind and the end result is good I wouldn’t consider it being a problem! We’ll get quicker with more practice :D

Don’t feel bad, we all have to start somewhere.
As you gain confidence and get practice your time will naturally decrease but don’t stress over it.
Is there any step in particular that you think takes longer than it should?

I think I spend a bit too long on my prep work. Once I get going with the actual extension the pace seems to pick up, and because I can work on the other hand while one hand is under the light, it seems to go quicker. Whereas, during the prep work, the other hand is sitting idle

I’m in the same position, new and slow... ☺️ I work on friends and family for now, we get a reason to meet up, a nice long chat, and they get a very good discount in return for the long service ☺️ If your clients don’t mind and the end result is good I wouldn’t consider it being a problem! We’ll get quicker with more practice :D

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i suppose we need to be a bit patient with ourselves. I've also been doing close friends and they are fine with it

A new set usually take me 2 and 1/2 hours. And a fill still takes me 2 hours. I spend a lot of time filling the nail to blend it. I need to work on that. And it takes me about 15 minutes to file of gel polish. And for a new set, forms cause me to take so long! I struggle for real with forms. I've been out of school for about 3 months so I'm very new. We will get there!

Yes, i also do spend time making sure the form fits properly which can be a curveball at times, depending on the nail issue. But, as you say.....we will get there!!

Latest posts

Back