how long till i get clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelli-marie

Reaction score
Recentley started as a mobile nail technician.
Ive had all my leaflets printed and business cards done.
For the last few days ive been out posting the leaflets through peoples doors, i no im not gonna get a influx of clients but i just wondered if any other mobile geeks can tell me how long till it kicked of the ground. im gonna advatise in the papers as well.

There have been so many posts about this recently so have a search through them for some ideas but a couple of ideas that wont cost you anything are a free ad on yell.com and thomson local directory.

HI my name is emma and i have just completed vtct advanced nail technology and also nvq 2 beauty therapy at college i was just wondering if you could point me in the right direction about becoming a mobile technician and if the some place i can get information about being self-employed

at the moment iam stuck where to go from here

look forwrd to hearing from you

this is my first ever time on the nail geek

EMMAM

emma m said:
HI my name is emma and i have just completed vtct advanced nail technology and also nvq 2 beauty therapy at college i was just wondering if you could point me in the right direction about becoming a mobile technician and if the some place i can get information about being self-employed

at the moment iam stuck where to go from here

look forwrd to hearing from you

this is my first ever time on the nail geek

EMMAM
Welcome Emma! As far as being self-employed is concerned, the best site to go to is the Inland Revenue (www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk) one coz they have loads of information and its a very easy site to navigate. I printed off all my forms from there, sent them off and they did the rest (ie. organised my NI by direct debit etc).

hey kellie Marie,

i started a couple of months ago now and i experienced the same thing, i told all my friends and family about it who told all their relatives and so on, so most of my clients are through word of mouth you just have to wait... but your doing the right thing with business cards and leaflets, don't forget to put some posters up on public noticeboards and then what carole says about the free advertising on yell.com

i am exactly in the same boat....

kelli-marie said:
Recentley started as a mobile nail technician.
Ive had all my leaflets printed and business cards done.
For the last few days ive been out posting the leaflets through peoples doors, i no im not gonna get a influx of clients but i just wondered if any other mobile geeks can tell me how long till it kicked of the ground. im gonna advatise in the papers as well.

having worked in advertising Kelly i'd forget the papers unless you plan to run an advert every week of the year, which wont be cheap...Instead go with the yellow pages or Yell.com and if you have missed the deadline for the next edition then talk to Thompsons and see what there rates are.

Leaflets take a while for the response to kick in I have had calls 4 weeks after I have done a drop so dont be disheartened. YOu will just have to keep plugging away...try your local hair salons see if they will take a card..you could offer an incentive to either the owner staff or their customers...hope this helps you get motivated again..

I didn't find advertising in the paper any help at all, in fact didn't get any response what-so-ever! All my clients have been through 'word-of-mouth' which I think is the best form of advertising. Something I did do which has generated some business for me was purposely changing my hairdresser to a local well established mobile hairdresser. I got chatting with her and the next thing I know she is offering to take some of my leaflets and cards (I did the same with her!) ever since then I have had a steady flow of calls!! I am always returning the favour and recommending her to my clients. If you support local businesses they will support you.
Clients will come in time don't worry, patience is the key in this business.

I am mobile and I have only ever placed one add in my whole 'nails life'. It was right at the start and I put an add in Yellow Pages and it brought me in tons of work, the phone was constantly going. The add cost me £140 for the whole year but I could pay it by standing order at £14 per month for 10 months. I thought that it was a lot of money and wondered if I would ever get my money back on the add..........what a stupid thought....... I made the cost of the whole years add in the first 3 weeks of business. So I definitely recommend Yellow Pages. As for the free Yell.com add, well I never got any business from that at all.

Val

I must've been lucky as almost of my clients have come from my ad in the paper. :lol: Since then I get half of my clients through word of mouth but I still place the ad one week a month and I usually get at least one call if not more.

I like the idea about helping a local hairdresser and vice versa. Keep plugging at it, we've all been there.

Do you have a website?

You can get freespace at www.tripod.com.

I get a good response from my website. Been busy with pedicures all summer!

Best of luck,

Karen

Wow! Just checked out your website and you are fully booked! Lucky thing.... Oh well I'm not doing too badly!!! :)

Hi Natalie,

Don't forget I only do part-time hours so I do get booked up very quickly. I didn't mean to make anyone feel dispondant! I know it's tough getting clients.

I would defininately reccommend a website tho.

I use tripod - it's very easy! And FREE!!! :biggrin:

If anyone needs help I'm willing to point them in the right direction.

Kx

Just looked at your website too Natalie - it's FAB!!!

Kx

Thanks very much! Yours is great too! Thats brilliant that you are doing so well even if you are only part-time. I have been rushed off my feet since May and will be to October as that is 'wedding season' but after then, who knows??!?!

x

Yeah, you're right - I don't know what will happen when flip-flop season is over!

Kx

Hi Kelli-Marie

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you approached your local newspapers about doing an article on you? It's a great way for them to support the local community businesses and you'd get advertising out of it.

Hi,

I have just started working from home part time and I did a leaflet drop and did get a good response mainly from the roads very near to me, but it has been waxing, waxing and more waxing with the odd manicure, I have yet to do a full set of nails from the leaflets, at the moment my only client for nails is my sister. Im going to put a postcard in the local shops and I am trying to set up my own website but it is very complicated (well to me it is). I think in my area there is a lot of competition for nails but thats where I need to gain the most experience.
I think you have to be patient as I have always had a bookings each week since the leaflets. Good luck to you.
Teresajay

hi this is for all of you that have done flyers , can anyone email me some to look at , coz i cant seem to design ones that look ok , thanks love dee

Have you ever thought about working at a salon? Since you are barley starting out, a salon can bring you a lot of clients. I am a salon owner and my nail techs get all the walk-ins and when they have their clientel they rent. If working at a salon does not sound appealing to you then you might want to put an ad in the paper with a coupon and a list of your prices or a discount you may be offering. It will take some time to build your clients. Just be patient and don't give up!

Nidia

I think that Yell.com is very good, also Thomson local directory, plus a good one that was recommended to me is put an advert in your car window. I also put cards in newsagents and i give my regular clients cards or price lists so they can give them to people that ask.

It is a slow process but it means it gives you time to get your confidence and to practise in between clients untill you get going.

Latest posts

Back