How long to allow for appointments when starting out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahjane13

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm training in women's speed waxing and women's intimate in December and I have organised rental of a beauty room one evening a week and Saturdays to start with.
I know a lot of you on here have trained with Kim having got no prior waxing experience and I just wondered how long you allowed for appointments when you started out.
I'm thinking of things like full leg, half leg, and intimate really as the other smaller areas should be easier to judge!
Thanks
x

Just work out a time frame you are comfortable with, when you are just starting out you dont want to put to much pressure on yourself x

Hello!
I'm training in women's speed waxing and women's intimate in December and I have organised rental of a beauty room one evening a week and Saturdays to start with.
I know a lot of you on here have trained with Kim having got no prior waxing experience and I just wondered how long you allowed for appointments when you started out.
I'm thinking of things like full leg, half leg, and intimate really as the other smaller areas should be easier to judge!
Thanks
x

Hi

I was thinking the exact same thing, I find the legs the most time consuming. So I have a few friends that I am using as guinea pigs. They come over and I spend the time going through it all from set up to giving the treatment. I then see what time it has taken me. I am not quite ready to advertise yet as I have only just trained. So having a few trial runs, my friends have been very helpful and supportive and give totally HONEST feedback.

Maybe you could do a run through if it helps with timing and confidence?

It has helped me ! I am hoping to be live by end of the month if this makes sense? ..... sorry i do waffle !

It's tricky when you're starting out, and even now I've been doing it for a while, when I get a brand new client I always allow myself more time. I chat a lot :D, like to spend some time making people feel comfortable. I have to admit when I first started and read a few threads on here where people are saying they're doing ALL of their brazilian/hollywoods in 20 or 30 minutes it knocked my confidence as I was booking out a full hour for that treatment.

The one piece of advice I can give you is that in my experience, clients want a good thorough wax, not necessarily a quick wax, and as long as your appointments aren't ridiculously long you're fine.

I work from home so I can afford to be a bit more flexible as overheads are low. I don't have a waiting area and I space my appointments out a bit more in case clients are running late/early, I don't really want people waiting in their car on my driveway or knocking at the door when I'm in the middle of a treatment.

With a new client they're spending time filling out a consultation form then I'm going thru it with them. Regulars get asked "any changes since your last visit? No, great, sign here please" so that's quicker.

Here's what I booked when I was starting out...
Brazilian/Hollywood - 1 hr
G-String/Bikini - 30 mins
1/2 leg - 45 mins
Full leg - 1hr 15 mins
Underarm/Face - 15 mins

Here's where I'm at now (after 9 months)...

I can generally do a brazilian/hollywood on a new client in 45 mins (including consultation and clean-down of the room afterwards). I'll make a note on their form of how long it took me. Most then only take 30-40 minutes after their first visit (although some still take me the FULL 45 mins) and the odd few that take 20 mins or less - not because I'm fabulously fast but more that they've hardly anything to wax :D.

G-String, 15-20 minutes max. These are my favourite treatment.

Bikini,10 mins max but I always book 15 minutes.

1/2 leg, new clients 30 mins, regulars 20-30 mins.

Full leg (I HATE doing full leg) can take me anything up to about an hour and it's one of those treatments where I still can't say for sure how long it's going to take until the client is lying on the bed. Thankfully I only have a handful of clients who get a full leg wax.

Underarm/facial waxing - I wouldn't book anyone in just for an underarm or brow/lip/chin wax. They'd have to book it as an add-on to legs or bikini and I don't add any extra time to their appointment for this as it takes a matter of a few minutes.

HTH.

It's tricky when you're starting out, and even now I've been doing it for a while, when I get a brand new client I always allow myself more time. I chat a lot :D, like to spend some time making people feel comfortable. I have to admit when I first started and read a few threads on here where people are saying they're doing ALL of their brazilian/hollywoods in 20 or 30 minutes it knocked my confidence as I was booking out a full hour for that treatment.

The one piece of advice I can give you is that in my experience, clients want a good thorough wax, not necessarily a quick wax, and as long as your appointments aren't ridiculously long you're fine.

I work from home so I can afford to be a bit more flexible as overheads are low. I don't have a waiting area and I space my appointments out a bit more in case clients are running late/early, I don't really want people waiting in their car on my driveway or knocking at the door when I'm in the middle of a treatment.

With a new client they're spending time filling out a consultation form then I'm going thru it with them. Regulars get asked "any changes since your last visit? No, great, sign here please" so that's quicker.

Here's what I booked when I was starting out...
Brazilian/Hollywood - 1 hr
G-String/Bikini - 30 mins
1/2 leg - 45 mins
Full leg - 1hr 15 mins
Underarm/Face - 15 mins

Here's where I'm at now (after 9 months)...

I can generally do a brazilian/hollywood on a new client in 45 mins (including consultation and clean-down of the room afterwards). I'll make a note on their form of how long it took me. Most then only take 30-40 minutes after their first visit (although some still take me the FULL 45 mins) and the odd few that take 20 mins or less - not because I'm fabulously fast but more that they've hardly anything to wax :D.

G-String, 15-20 minutes max. These are my favourite treatment.

Bikini,10 mins max but I always book 15 minutes.

1/2 leg, new clients 30 mins, regulars 20-30 mins.

Full leg (I HATE doing full leg) can take me anything up to about an hour and it's one of those treatments where I still can't say for sure how long it's going to take until the client is lying on the bed. Thankfully I only have a handful of clients who get a full leg wax.

Underarm/facial waxing - I wouldn't book anyone in just for an underarm or brow/lip/chin wax. They'd have to book it as an add-on to legs or bikini and I don't add any extra time to their appointment for this as it takes a matter of a few minutes.

HTH.

Hi

That's really helpfull.

I was thinking OMG the full legs are taking forever and a day !

I am planning on learning intimate waxing next and am looking forward to it x

Thanks KrisKross, that's really helpful! It's so hard to know where to start so that's been a great help!
x

I personally do half leg in under 10 mins. I cover the whole front of the leg. I basically cover large sections Hollywood in 15/20 Ish longer if their nervous due to their faffing and being shy!

When I worked in London in a wax salon we had NO lunch break at all. Fully booked all day. So we had to learn to wax quick to get a break. Bad I know but I'm the best at waxing. Practise makes perfect. When I trained I got told I was the worst waxer she ever had, and yeah I was! I sent myself and practised hope this helps! X

I have a couple of clients that require 1 hour (and a full pot of wax) for a full leg wax. Others, I can do it in 30mins :/

My 1st Hollywood took an hr and a half but now its half an hr. I'd book out an hr and a half for a full leg too as for me there would come a point half way through where I would get myself in a mess of wax and oil and lose hope so I needed extra time x

I would book:
45mins for Hollywood and aim for 30mins,
45mins half leg and aim for 30mins,
1hr 10mins for full legs and aim for 45mins. :)

Eyebrows should rarely be a 'matter of minutes' .... it is not my intention to be disrespectful.

Beautiful eye brows are 20 minutes ... more detailed work goes into eyebrows then any other part of the body.

And it maddens me that we do not seem to be able to price them accordingly.

We charge 13.00. I want to charge £20.00 ... that is what they are worth :)

With good technique comes speed.Dont worry too much about time at the mo but on your technique and you will get quicker.If you don't get quicker then you need to change what you are doing.

I personally do half leg in under 10 mins. I cover the whole front of the leg. I basically cover large sections Hollywood in 15/20 Ish longer if their nervous due to their faffing and being shy!

When I worked in London in a wax salon we had NO lunch break at all. Fully booked all day. So we had to learn to wax quick to get a break. Bad I know but I'm the best at waxing. Practise makes perfect. When I trained I got told I was the worst waxer she ever had, and yeah I was! I sent myself and practised hope this helps! X

I'm intrigued. I would love to be able to wax so fast! Can I ask do you wax over the knee and feet and toes, do you re-wax over stubborn hair and then tweezer out any remaining strays in 10 minutes?

My first hollywood took me 2 hours! I can generally do one in an hour now, I find it really hard to understand how s Hollywood/Brazilian can be done in 20-30 mins? Maybe I'm too fussy and I know I talk a lot :)

I was from toes to knees, and re wax if any stubborn hairs. Tweeze if needed.

I used to book out 45 mins for Brazilian and the same for full leg when I first started. Now after 2 years Brazilian is 20 mins and same for full leg. Half leg I book out 15 mins. I only do waxing though so am probably quicker than someone who does other treatments.

Book out the time it takes you to do a good wax and check over. Then you know you have the time you need so you don't worry but aim to get it done 10 minutes quicker. When you're there, try for a bit quicker again. You can adjust your booking times as you go, but you need enough time to do a great job and so the client doesn't feel rushed in and out x

I used to book out 45 mins for Brazilian and the same for full leg when I first started. Now after 2 years Brazilian is 20 mins and same for full leg. Half leg I book out 15 mins. I only do waxing though so am probably quicker than someone who does other treatments.

Do you use metal spatulas or wooden spatulas for leg waxing? I'm pretty quick at Braz, but full legs take me ages, I use wooden spatulas and never double dip, I'm just wondering if it's worth investing in loads of metal spatulas and clean and disinfect between clients.

I use metal for legs/arms and wooden for everything else. I don't double dip but I do when doing legs with the metal ones. If I need to go over an area that's been waxed I use a wooden one so the metal one never touches skin that's already been waxed.

Latest posts

Back