How long to file off full set of gels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layrex9

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondered - how long does it take you to file off a full set of gels? A lady came to me the other day (she had been to another technician) and she wanted them filing off and a new set applying. It took me a shocking two hours to get them off with a manual file (very carefully as I am paranoid about the natural nail and hurting them) but then it only took me an hour to apply the new overlays for her and finish them. With my L&P, I have decided to book two hour slots and all the customers have been elated wth their new nails (I have just opened my new salon) and because I work for myself I have not been rushing. I get upset with myself for taking too long :cry:

What do you guys think?

Many thanks,

Hi there,

Just wondered - how long does it take you to file off a full set of gels? A lady came to me the other day (she had been to another technician) and she wanted them filing off and a new set applying. It took me a shocking two hours to get them off with a manual file (very carefully as I am paranoid about the natural nail and hurting them) but then it only took me an hour to apply the new overlays for her and finish them. With my L&P, I have decided to book two hour slots and all the customers have been elated wth their new nails (I have just opened my new salon) and because I work for myself I have not been rushing. I get upset with myself for taking too long :cry:

What do you guys think?

Many thanks,

blimey, you sure they were gel ?
they must have been mega thick to take that amount of time to remove.
it would take me about 1/2 hour i guess [to remove a set i had done]
gel is much easier to file than l/p acrylic.

I use a file off gel and it takes me 40 mins to remove a full set....saying that in 3 years i think i have had to remove about 2 sets....so its not so bad. x

Yes they were very thick and rather long, I do not know what brand it was, it was definitely gel though, not L&P. I have never had to file a full set off before, so didn't know what to expect! I am however, au fait with Brisa gel and re-balances but it never normally takes that long - you're right it is normally so easy to file down. Brand new experience all round! I was frightened I would go too near her nail plate and then I was frightened after that that I hadn't got it all off and kept asking myself if there was any residue of the old gel left before putting the new gel on. I mean how do you really know how far you are going? When I saw the ridges of her nail and the natural shine I knew whan to stop but these beasts had been on about 5-6 weeks apparently. Do people just tend to just whip it off - am I being too paranoid? Your advice is greatly appreciated xx

if the product on the nail is sound and ok then i wouldn't take it of anyway...i would just infill.

wiping the nail with something like scrubfresh tends to show any product left on the nail.

when i do remove a set i never go all the way anyway, i leave a thin layer on the nail to safely grow off.

HTH x

If you were doing a coloured gel then,i take it you would have to file it off,if they wanted another colour...i ask this,as Brisa now do coloured gels?

How would you compensate for leaving a thin layer,you would have to file it right off....sorry if that is a stupid question!

if the product on the nail is sound and ok then i wouldn't take it of anyway...i would just infill.

wiping the nail with something like scrubfresh tends to show any product left on the nail.

when i do remove a set i never go all the way anyway, i leave a thin layer on the nail to safely grow off.

HTH x

Thank you - yes that really helps!! I shall be much, much more confident next time I do it. I was panicking because I didn't know what the other gel tech had used and a bit worried about the two products mingling on the nails - I use Creative but I have an inkling she uses a different brand. I thought it might be better to get it all off and start from scratch, as at least if they are my work with my product I know then what is on there - and if there were any problems I would be closer to working out why. Also I thought if there were two different manufacturer's gels on the nails there may be a possibility that it may cause lifting or a reaction or something? Thank you once again xx

If you were doing a coloured gel then,i take it you would have to file it off,if they wanted another colour...i ask this,as Brisa now do coloured gels?

How would you compensate for leaving a thin layer,you would have to file it right off....sorry if that is a stupid question!

Oh yes - I haven't come across that one yet either and I am thinking of getting those in - everybody has been asking for coloured gels in my village!

not stupid at all.

generally, the coloured gel would be over a layer of clear. so you just go dawn to the cler.:)

Thank you - yes that really helps!! I shall be much, much more confident next time I do it. I was panicking because I didn't know what the other gel tech had used and a bit worried about the two products mingling on the nails - I use Creative but I have an inkling she uses a different brand. I thought it might be better to get it all off and start from scratch, as at least if they are my work with my product I know then what is on there - and if there were any problems I would be closer to working out why. Also I thought if there were two different manufacturer's gels on the nails there may be a possibility that it may cause lifting or a reaction or something? Thank you once again xx

you should have no trouble using a different brand as long as the under layer is sound you can work over it.

once its cured, the chemicals of the 2 products dont mingle, they just ride on top of the last layer. you may see a difference in the colour between old and new, but nothing awful will happen.

you should have no trouble using a different brand as long as the under layer is sound you can work over it.

once its cured, the chemicals of the 2 products dont mingle, they just ride on top of the last layer. you may see a difference in the colour between old and new, but nothing awful will happen.

Ahhhh - that is good to hear, there is no need to worry then really - and that is why it must have taken so long! Thank you very much for putting my worry-head to rest :)

I build the nail as normal using clear and then colour and topcoat are applied after. Filing off the colour will still leave the basics there, which can be filed down to the thin layer HTH

Half an hour to three quarters to file of a whole set of gels, don't do it much though

I reckon your ones were mma l&p, they're a nightmare to get off

Latest posts

Back