How long to fully heat a wax pot from cold?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bed Bunny

Reaction score
Hi

i have recently started my NVQ level 2 Beauty Therapy and have bought a "Cyclax Wax It" wax heater and warm wax just to practise with on friends and family.

it takes over an hour to heat up to the right consistency. is this right or is it faulty? the heaters at college are always plugged in so we never have to heat wax from cold.

yesterday i tried microwaving it and then putting it in the heater to keep hot but it cooled down and went too thick so again i'm starting to think it may be faulty.

any advice appreciated.
Thanks
BB

I don't have the same one as you hun, i use a roller system by Clean & easy and it takes around 10 Min's to get to the right temp hth

What setting do you have your heater on, BB? The Cyclax heater is a fairly small unit, so an hour seems like a long time. As a comparison, I have a large Hive heater that heats 800g of wax in about 45 minutes with the thermostat set halfway (10 minutes if I speed-heat it at the top temperature). Can you turn the temp up at all, or is it at it's max? Keeping the lid on whilst your wax warms will also help it heat quicker.

Just a friendly word of caution - microwaving wax isn't recommended as it's all too easy to accidentally overheat the wax and burn yourself. Take it from someone who has been there and done it, lol :wink2:

Andy x

Last edited:
I don't have that heater but an hour does sound like too long... although you could try turning it up ? For instance, if the pot you use at college is a different brand then it won't necessarily need to be put on the same number, if that makes sense. I tend to use my Hive waxpot on 3/4 but my Babyliss I can use on 1.

the cyclax heater is very small and only has two heat settings

i had a heater like this i found it impossible to use

i would suggest you get a wax pot with more heat settings e.g. from hive, babyliss etc

thanks for your replies. I've been putting it on the top setting. this morning i tried keeping the lid on while it warmed up and it's been a bit quicker.

I only wanted to get this cheap one for practise as i'm hoping to get a job in a salon rather than work for myself once i'm qualified so i don't want to (and can't afford to!) buy lots of expensive equipment i won't need.

Maybe it's just cos it's cheap!

BB

i have two of these cyclax style heaters in my salon, they work great, i no longer use cyclax wax but when i did it took approx 45 mins to get to the right consistency. i then turn down to the lower setting and leave on for the rest of the day putting up to higher setting 10 mins before client.

i now use an aloe vera gel wax, lower melting point than the cyclax waxes and is usually good to go within 25 mins for a full new tub hth xx:)

great advice, thanks i'll get some.

BB
x

Ya an hour is definately to long i'd say! Have you tried to put the heat to its max level just teo get the wax melted and then turning it back to just the regular temperature?

Hi

This is my first post so sorry if I've not following proper etiquette but I also have a question about wax temperatures and you all sound like you know what you're talking about!

I've got a salon system wax heater where you just drop the pot of wax into it. The heat temperature goes up to 10. The thing is there's no guidance on what no. to use to heat the wax and I'm always worried I'm doing it wrong. I heat it on 10 then turn it down to 7 but I don't know if that makes it too runny or if I'm just rubbish at using it!

Any thoughts?

Thanks heaps :)

Hi

This is my first post so sorry if I've not following proper etiquette but I also have a question about wax temperatures and you all sound like you know what you're talking about!

I've got a salon system wax heater where you just drop the pot of wax into it. The heat temperature goes up to 10. The thing is there's no guidance on what no. to use to heat the wax and I'm always worried I'm doing it wrong. I heat it on 10 then turn it down to 7 but I don't know if that makes it too runny or if I'm just rubbish at using it!

Any thoughts?

Thanks heaps :)

Hi Gilly,

I would imagine that 7 is a bit too hot, but I'm not too familiar with the Salon Systems heater so someone else might be able to give you the correct setting.

As a general guide, the warm wax should be liquid enough to spread easily but not so runny that it's like water (that's a surefire sign that it's too hot!) - it should feel pleasantly warm on the skin. Are you using a cream, honey or gel wax? How long are you heating it on full whack for? How does the temperature of the wax feel on your skin?

Andy

Latest posts

Back