How long to leave toner on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameswhite

Reaction score
I leave all my toners on for 15mins what about everyone else?
Sent from my SM-G900I using SalonGeek mobile app

I leave them on till they're done. I don't time them

Why do you leave them all on for 15?

My timings depend on what base & tone I'm shading with and on.... They are all different!

Why do you leave them all on for 15?

If you only leave them on a few minutes dnt they wash out faster as there is minimal pigment deposit?

I use Igora 9.5's and they can go from 0-100 in a split second so I watch mine carefully and take off when I have desired tone

If you only leave them on a few minutes dnt they wash out faster as there is minimal pigment deposit?

Product choice and hairs porosity will depend on that.

What if your client doesn't want to end up with silver hair?

I always end up watching the toner because it can grab really quickly

I'm going to assume this is a serious post and not simply trolling. I think timming depends on what your after. I often mix base in with my toner a level below what i achieved with lightener. This allows me to process the tint longer. I find when i do this the results are more long lasting and more natural. The down side is that I don't achieve the brightness and shear results that many bleach and tone clients are looking for. For successful toning two thing are crucial. Knowing the level and being honest with yourself about what you have achieved, and secondly, knowing what tones need to be neutralized in order to achieve the desired results.

Hehehe @tsparker78 your so funny today :rolleyes: ;) Op if you had a nice very light blonde with a hint of lemon still in there and put a toner of 9.1 on for 15 mins what would the outcome be?

Im just curious alot of ranges have specific toners. Mine say 15min to 25max. Ive never had the grey issue. Saying that though I always do what they say though about porosity filler and gold parts first that i want to tone most then apply to rest of hair with the same mix +clear

Well with clear it would dilute it so it would be fine to leave on 15 mins, I don't dilute, I watch closely untill it's the colour I want then rinse :) I'd do that with every brand

I don't mix a clear in with mine - maybe that's why yours take longer?

Yeah i only mix clear after ive done the parts that need toning then put clear to just refresh the ends

You could just rub the remaining toner left in the bowl through to the ends for the last few seconds and save yourself the price of the clear, rinse sooner and you'll get the same result

You could just rub the remaining toner left in the bowl through to the ends for the last few seconds and save yourself the price of the clear, rinse sooner and you'll get the same result

Will it wash out faster?

Will it wash out faster?

It shouldn't no....a clear is only really a gloss so it wouldn't change the tone of the ends anyway.

Latest posts

Back