How long to make it in this business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj1

Reaction score
Hi, I have been working from home a year so far, and also work part time at a spa. I have a dilema and wondered if any of you girls or guys had some advice.

I have been at this spa and have been getting paid cash as I was a fill in every now and then, problem is that I've been full time for the summer as the full time girl is now gone. They want to put me on their payroll which means government deductions so it's not really worth it for me. I asked if i could get 60% instead of 40% which is what I get now and she said if she gave me that much that I would have to be commited to them full time. They now ask me if I can do appointments, they work around me. I also have to work Sundays which I am not keen of at all.

When I'm there my line rings and of course I am not here to answer to my business calls and have lost clients due to this. On the other hand I cannot sit around all day and will that phone to ring when there is money to be made somewhere else. I make ok money working from home but not what I'd like to do. I realize I am not around here often enough to get clients but not sure what to do, stay at home and focus on my business or stay with the spa?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read and respond, look forward to hearing comments and advice..
aj

i have been running my own business in a room at a sunbed shop and have been their now 2 years and still i haven't made any money i am told that it can take up to 3-4 years before you actually start making it pay

Wow, are you there full time, do you have another job to help you financially? I know it takes time for people in salons to make it, let alone someone like me working out of your home with no clientelle. It probably takes a lot more time to build working from home,,,it's not as easy as I thought.

God, its a tough one. I still have a job 4 days per week and do my lovely job (in a room above a hairdressers) 2 days per week. I so want to ditch the Monday to Thursday job and concentrate on nails and beauty full time but at the present I don't think I have enough clients to do this.

On the two days that I do work for myself (Friday/Saturday) after a very slow August things are now starting to pick up and I have made a profit both weekends, but this will all be ploughed back into my little business, which will happen most months I guess so I will probably make a loss this year too.

However, a friend of mine has just opened up her own place and has had her first week's trading and she has done fantastically well. She is in a great location with lots of passing trade with no other salons near her, and although she won't make a profit for some time due to the amount of money she has put into it, she took around £400 this week, not bad for a first week I think.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

i have been running my own business in a room at a sunbed shop and have been their now 2 years and still i haven't made any money i am told that it can take up to 3-4 years before you actually start making it pay

really that long?! omg i will be poor forever

I guess the good thing for me is that I work from home and my expenses were small to start out. I got lucky and found a lot of used salon stuff. I am in no way in the hole right now, so I guess for me it's the patience thing and just wait for my doggone phone to ring....lol.

:irked:Great - I was planning to be rich in no time....

Better rethink that.... It is going to take longer than thought....

Oh well, better get working then before I am too old to see.

Jacky

anyone else with any comments, or suggestions, please.

I've been at it for a year and a half, working from home only.
Still don't have a 'full' book and I still want to add more hours to my workweek.
Home is harder, no hairdresser to refer clients to you. If you dont have a sign on the street, people don't know of you. As for 'walkins'.. just about impossible unless they already are a client, right?

Hard to say what you should do. I would personally build up the home business BUT that's only because I prefer to work from home and never want another boss again. LOL

good luck!

It is a tough choice, one I had to make myself. Fact is unless you are in a very busy area, it is going to take time to build clients. If you were making ok money at home, then why not stick with it. Promote your business more, give clients a reason to refer you etc. And tell the salon that you are willing to work as a casual for cash. You could be a floater and cover other tech's days off.
I began at home, then worked in a salon for a year, and now am back home again. I like being at home, choosing my own hours. I can do what I need to between clients, and I feel more relaxed.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

If you're missing business calls whilst at the spa, could you ask a friend (perhaps a stay at home mum) if they will take calls for you whilst you are at the spa. Basically they be your receptionist. Offer to pay them for each call they take on your behalf, and give them your diary to book appointments for you.

I think I will leave the spa and invest in a cell phone so I can go out and have a life and not miss any calls. Do you think it's tacky to white out my old phone # and put the new one in? I have about 1000 cards....ugghhhh!

Why not invest in an answering machine? Instead of recording "I'm away", record "I'm unavailable at the moment". That way, you don't run the risk of being forced to take calls while doing someone else's nails OR while busy with family stuff, or grocery shopping and being caught while paying at the cash etc....
AND my family can reach me no matter what I'm doing, and if I choose to, I can just screen my home phone on which the answering machine is connected so if I'm busy, let the machine pick it up.
I use an answering machine. I do not ever give out my cell number AND my cel number is set up so that if I call someone, it displays as 'unknown' that way, no one gets my cell number unless I give it to them.
But get a machine that enables you to retrieve your messages from another phone. They're all digital these days, and not very pricey at all.

hth's

I do have an answering machine and I tell people that I'm busy with a client and to leave a message. But,,,,,,,most people don't want to leave a message and if it's a quick appointment they want they'll go elsewhere. I do have on my sign "by appointment only" but you get those that want service now!

hi there

i think its all about making a decision - hoping its the right one and sticking to it.......
this type of business, and there seems to be a hellavu lot of it about, seems to be slow growing, or wallop and then fizzle out - salon wise. there's always some one wanting to open a nailbar next door and offer them half price,:cry: and the british always want something for nothing. i'm sure you see GMTV!

running your own business is good, being your own boss, but you have to have another income or support, so that you can eat and little things like that..............:rolleyes:
before you take the plunge, work out your hours, get your home fone put on divert to your mobile, or a lovely message saying that you are pampering clients in the salon today!!! :lol:
and try and do a schedule on excel or something, and see if you can fit it all in without burning yourself out.......then speak to your boss

good luck,
please let me know how you get on, i'd be glad to hear!!!

I've been at it for a year and a half, working from home only.
Still don't have a 'full' book and I still want to add more hours to my workweek.
Home is harder, no hairdresser to refer clients to you. If you dont have a sign on the street, people don't know of you. As for 'walkins'.. just about impossible unless they already are a client, right?

Hard to say what you should do. I would personally build up the home business BUT that's only because I prefer to work from home and never want another boss again. LOL

good luck!
hi
wondered if you thought of putting an A board/sandwich board on your drive way!!!!
you'll get the attention and people knowing you are there!!!:)

I live on commercial property so I do have a good size sign out on my lawn, although people say they don't really see it. Usually people are driving by quite fast and maybe aren't taking the time to look, dunno!

It's a white sign with black lettering.

Can you not get your home phone diverted to a mobile after so many rings??? I am sure this is possible and then u won't miss any calls, and u won't have to tip-ex out your number on your cards either!!

If I was you, I would work as little hours as possible at the salon (just get in the money u need to pay the bills) and then concentrate on your own little salon.

What type of advertising have u done? Get the word out, put up posters, deliver leaflets, leave leaflets on counters, advertise for free on the nail directory and yell.com.......there is soo much you can do.

I know it won't all come flooding in, but the more work u put into it the more u will get out of it! This is my philosophy and it is workin so far!!!

Good luck x

I have been a nail tech for 10 years and mobile for nearily a year. I have seen other businesses go through quiet stages and busy stages. I never used to bat an eyelid because I was getting a wage at the end of the week.

I have been mobile since last december full time, I still live at home with my parents and although most of my evenings are taken up with mobile clients, I find myself twiddling my thumbs during the day. Then feeling sorry for myself cause I have not made a proper weeks wage and cant pay my outgoings. Me and my boyf plan to move in together, there is no way I can do it on this wage and just the hope that one day it will pick up more to reach fulltime wage.

Recently I have had to make a descision...Carry on just ticking over finacially or get off my backside and do something about it.
So.....I have started to apply for fulltime work, I have other skills such as admin and design, I am doing this which is a reqular wage and then work 2 nights a week and saturdays to fullfil my clients needs too.I will never stop dong nails and any money I make from here is a bonus.

At the end of the day you may have dreams to do big things but sometimes you have to change your course of action to fulfil those dreams. One thing is for sure I am dedication to nails but not to the extent where my personal life is on hold.

All in all I think it depends on your circumstances, If you can afford to do without financially then keep going at it, I know i tried my best to make it work on a fulltime basis, but for now I am happy to go it p/t.

Hey I am pround of what I have achieved.

Hope things work out.

Sorry to ramble on, got carried away, was making things clearer in my head whilst writing it.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do hope my last message didnt seem negative, its not meant to be.

Was just describing my own situation,not suggesting you should throw in the towel. If it is feasable then do, after all it is much more rewarding working for yourself.

good luck hun.:lol:

Latest posts

Back