How long until I can do paying clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am becoming a true nail geek in October/November and am doing my enhancement training. I know it will be different with everyone, but how long roughly will it be until I can start doing paying clientS?

Thanks Becki xxx :lol:

Hi Becki!

I think it depends on how you get on with your course and how comfortable you are. I know I was concerned at first about how people would receive me and my newly qualified nails. I did start charging immediately after I qualified, but at a reduced rate (20% off). I became quite busy fairly quickly and felt I was ready (skill-wise and time taken-wise) to charge full price after 6 weeks, but kept the discount in place for 2 months.

Whilst I was training, I did practise a lot - on the nail trainer - I'm not sure if I did nails on real people - oh wait yes I did a couple, but didn't charge - they were doing me a favour, and thinking about it, I'm not sure if there would be a legal implication. I was also lucky that I could afford to not ask people for money towards the products, but know a couple of training techs that did this.

ok kool, I've got lots of practise ppl already, its just some of my clients are saying that when I start they want to come to me, but I'm not gonna be anywhere near as good as they techs they have come from!!! :eek:

I charged willing peeps at a reduced rate as well until I felt more comfortable and once I had done more training and was using a higher end product and felt happier with my nails I started charging more. Don't fall into the trap of doing them for nothing because some people will not take care of their nails when they haven't paid for them and you'll end up with nothing to rebalance iykwim. You've got to cover your costs.

hth a bit:)

That's great - just shows you how much your clients value you!

For one thing, you don't know how good you are going to be until you actually get there and are doing it, and you don't know how good the other techs are, so don't put yourself down!:hug:

Also, so long as people know you are newly qualified, they tend to give you a bit more slack - well most of them anyway, there's always one that expects miracles as you prob know!:eek:

I'm sure you'll be fine since your clients already know you and your standards.

Good luck!

I am so excited but soooooooo nervous,

I decided to bite the bullet and do acrylic, wraps and gels in one course!!! was this stupid of me?! BE HONEST!!!

hopefully my clients will be nice to me, some of them I would NOT want to have a tounge lashing from their old enough to be my mum but scarier!!! haha

Becki xxx

thanks for all the quick replies

Don't fall into the trap of doing them for nothing because some people will not take care of their nails when they haven't paid for them and you'll end up with nothing to rebalance iykwim. You've got to cover your costs.

I agree - what is the point of being qualified in something if you aren't going to use it to your benefit?!

I forgot to say also that setting the price and reducing it for a time worked well for me because when I went full price, people already knew what the full charge would be and it wasn't a massive shock. Well, maybe it was, but I'd already hooked 'em:wink2:

so for example... full sets 40 pounds but for next 3 months only 20?! type thing?

so for example... full sets 40 pounds but for next 3 months only 20?! type thing?

Well, yes,but I would never give 50% off because it might seem too much and people might question why you need to give that much off! Hope that makes sense :eek:

I set all my enhancement prices - rebalances, repairs etc and gave a blanket 20% off everything. Btw I didn't start doing Brisa gel until a year after I qualified in everything else, but I still gave a discount at first, just until I became happier with my application and that I knew each step of the application without thinking about it!

i usually advise students that they are ready to start charging when they can do a set in 2 hours that stays on 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back