How many hours do you spend doing nails in a week?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many hours do you work on nails in a week?

• Under 10 hours

Votes: 168 37.8%
  • 10-20 hours

Votes: 111 24.9%
  • 20-30 hours

Votes: 62 13.9%
  • 30-40 hours

Votes: 49 11.0%
  • over 40 hours!

Votes: 55 12.4%

• Total voters
I belive in a salon it is possible to work millions of hours per week as walk in clients ensure a constant flow of work (hopefully) but being mobile to me is very, very hard work. I totally take my hat off to anyone who's mobile as i don't know about u but juggling my mobile work and personal commitments is often very demanding.

It is also true to say that in the everyday world bills have to be paid and if your just starting out it is very difficult to just leasve your job and let fate take it's course. I would love to work full time hours, and would probably would (if my husband let me) but when would i see my family?

I try to find a balance by mixing my shifts :
Mon Tue Wed - I do lates
Thus Fri - I finish earlier as I also work week ends

Cres

I usually work 3 full days a week from 9am until 9pm and then Saturdays 10am until 4pm. I have a nail tech starting tomorrow for 1 day a week, and she will go upto 2 days as the clientelle increases.

I really enjoy what I do, but would like to do a few less hours in the future to spend more time with my family

As i am still a newbie, i work about 10-20 hours a week but am desperate to do more as this is the only way i will better my skills...im not afraid of hard work and hope to double my hours over the next year. any marketing tips which dont cost much cash are more than welcome!!!

kirsten x

Having just returned from maternity leave I now do part time aprox 20 hours per week.As my other daughter is almost 18 I'd forgotten how hard looking after a baby is.I'm lucky enough to work in a salon with a captive audiance.I work at a newspaper with it's own hairdressers and nail tech.Also means we get to hear a lot of gossip that's too hot for the paper(sun/news o world/times). As the nearest salon is a 15 min cab ride away people came for the convience and stayed because they liked my work.

I put under 10 hours - but it depends who I have in for appointments - it can be more :green:

geeg said:
That's what I like to see ... a real professional really gunning for it!! Well done. See what can be acheived when you dedicate yourself ladies and gents??

This is what all the part timers should be aiming for, because in my opinion, nails is not a part-time hobby or business. It is part of a SERVICE industry which in theory means that we should be there for our clients full time to perform our services.

IT IS A FACT THAT Ladies who have to wait to get a repair done (or whatever) because their technician is only part time, will go somewhere else. This is true, and if you are part itme and finding it hard to build up a clientel, part of the reason is because you are part time and your clients are going elsewhere to get full time service.

Sorry but I don`t agree with you. I`m p/t and I`m fortunate to be in a postition where I can afford to be p/t. Its not a hobby, I take it very seriously and my clients are aware of the fact that I only work on certain days. They are happy with this and I have never lost a client yet because they needed a repair and I couldn`t accomodate them.

My GP is a professional and only works on certain days - if i want to see him - I`ll wait for an appointment to see him. If its an emergency - yes I`ll see another GP - but I`ll always go back to my own GP given the choice. I think if you have a loyal client base - then they`ll wait.

What I`m trying to get across is that IMO being P/t (for whatever reason) doesn`t make you any less dedicated or professional and we shouldn`t feel inadeqate for being happy working P/T.

princessniknox said:
Sorry but I don`t agree with you. I`m p/t and I`m fortunate to be in a postition where I can afford to be p/t. Its not a hobby, I take it very seriously and my clients are aware of the fact that I only work on certain days. They are happy with this and I have never lost a client yet because they needed a repair and I couldn`t accomodate them.

My GP is a professional and only works on certain days - if i want to see him - I`ll wait for an appointment to see him. If its an emergency - yes I`ll see another GP - but I`ll always go back to my own GP given the choice. I think if you have a loyal client base - then they`ll wait.

What I`m trying to get across is that IMO being P/t (for whatever reason) doesn`t make you any less dedicated or professional and we shouldn`t feel inadeqate for being happy working P/T.
Here Here!!
I try my hardest to be the best I can be, I wont let clients go out with so so nails, (unlike some I've seen, leaving salons!)
I dont have a full appointment book, but I spend time with clients making sure that they have exactly what they want when they leave my hands.
Some clients have even commented on the fact that having their nails done in a home salon feels a lot more personal and a lot less like a production line!
I still practise like mad and am very dedicated to my art, but I wont apologise for only doing it part time.
After all being a good mum is also a very important job!
Just my opinion!

i do more like 30 hours a week

I ticked less than 10 hours per week. Up until now I have only been practising on friends but as of yesterday I am registered as self employed and have 3 appointments booked in for tomorrow (yipee)!:)

I have to keep the day job for the time being as I have a mortgage and massive student loan to pay. However, I LOVE nails and cant wait to be able to build this up. My aim is to do fulltime/rent a space and ultimately open my own salon - but one step at a time hey! :lol:

Hi there...
Weds Thurs Fri 9am till 6pm 27 hours per week... Could be more if I allowed it but although I love nails I have a life outside too...!
lol Sarah ;-)

I just do my own nails now, still occassionally do mates nails etc!!! lol

I voted 10 hours,although this varies i would say this is the closest to what i do,i am full time hairdresser but i would eventually like my time to be split equally between hair and nails !

Wish i could do more but sadly having baby doesnt allow for it x

I'm only starting and clients have been rare and few!! .. but it's all about to change as I've taken a job in a new salon so hopefully I'll be doing this full time.. !

work a few evenings and saturdays, as i have a two year old who takes up the rest of my time, he will be going to pre school in october so i am hoping to do a few more hours then

10-20

I have so much respect for people out there working full time or even more, and im not only talking about nail pros but everyone. I just wanted to say that there is other people who are trying to spent more time with their familys, specially if you have little ones at home. My mom is a very talented career woman but she was never at home i just wont feel comfortable if i had to do this to my precious daughter. But i do want to have a job cause i think it is important to know you are self-sufficient so i hope someday i can get a part time one that allows me to see my daughter.

PS: Again, im sorry if i wrote any misunderstandings, i don't speak english very well as you noticed :grr:

My job gives me 20 hours a week, but I don't class that as "Doing Nails" as it is just toe nail cutting for the elderly, but even those clients are few and far between at the moment as the charity I work for have not long ago set the service up. So I voted under 10 hours, as I haven't got my insurance yet and will not work on my own behalf without it. Also I am looking to do further training before I start out properly.

Joan

I'm just starting out so it's a lil under ten. I hope to get up to forty...soon:) I haven't had too much luck finding a shop yet and my clientele are few...been thinking about turning spare room into nail heaven. Folks here tend to go to the 12$ full set and 9$ fill shops that pile on the acrylic and sand it down with electric files, VS. quality work of a skilled and caring nail technician. I like to treat clients as individuals instead of a "Next!"

9 months since I opened my shop in a small rural area- averaging less than 20hours a week right now, some weeks more some less- struggling, advertising etc. and can't WAIT until I am busy 40+!!!!!

Unfortunately I have put under 10 hours.I work mainly as a beauty therapist so dont get that many sets in a week.I have a real passion for nails,both acrylic and natural but unfortunately dont get many chances to perform nail enhancements.I do have a few regulars that come in for their infills and rebalances but nowhere near enough for me.

Latest posts

Back