How many of us have actually had treatments themselves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiler13334

#Nailartistic_me
Reaction score
Had my first manicure in college last week!
I have been offereing them to my clients for a few years now and have never had one, nor a pedicure.... A bit like the cobbler and his shoes? its late lol

Even though the girl was training and it was her first time she did really well and wasnt phased by doing one to a person who did it for a living. It was so relaxing and I realised the only way to appreciate what a client feels like, is to have it done.

Who else has had the treatments they offer? like hot stone, reflexology, indian head, pedicure etc.. did you enjoy having it as much as you do giving it?

Look forward to hearing about it.
xx

I don't know where you trained but it's pretty usual to experience a treatment while you're learning it? i.e. you partner up and perform the treatment on each other.

However, that is not always the same as treating yourself to a treatment by someone aleady qualified:lol:

I love going to salons and other therapists. I'm having a pedicure and a facial this week. I need (and deserve he he) them just as much as my clients:green:

Im the only therapist at work at the mo so i dont get anything!!
I would love a back massage tho so any offers would be much appreciated!!!!:)

Carriexxx

I actually take this area very seriously for a number of reason.

1. We NEED to have treatments, to keep us topped up, get that endorphin boost, etc. We need to be treated like a client.

2. We should practise what we preach, I proudly tell my clients that I have at least 1 treatment a month to keep me on the straight and narrow. It also reminds you of how the treatment FEELS.

3. Professional development, you can see how it does somewhere else, see how THEY greet and treat, and it might remind you of where you are becoming sloppy, OR you may think, wow thats a great feature and kind of borrow it! It mostly reminds yourself how good you are as most treatments I have I think I could do better myself.

4. Try before you buy. Why go to a huge expense of taking on a new treatment if you haven't tried it first. It can save you a lot of stress in the long run. You can see how it is performed, you can see if it would fit into your present situation or if new equipment is required. You can also see if their is retail to go with it.

So, I challenge you all to book yourself in to another salon for a treatment this month - October.:lol:

1. We NEED to have treatments, to keep us topped up, get that endorphin boost, etc. We need to be treated like a client.

2. We should practise what we preach, I proudly tell my clients that I have at least 1 treatment a month to keep me on the straight and narrow. It also reminds you of how the treatment FEELS.

3. Professional development, you can see how it does somewhere else, see how THEY greet and treat, and it might remind you of where you are becoming sloppy, OR you may think, wow thats a great feature and kind of borrow it! It mostly reminds yourself how good you are as most treatments I have I think I could do better myself.

4. Try before you buy. Why go to a huge expense of taking on a new treatment if you haven't tried it first. It can save you a lot of stress in the long run. You can see how it is performed, you can see if it would fit into your present situation or if new equipment is required. You can also see if their is retail to go with it.

So, I challenge you all to book yourself in to another salon for a treatment this month - October.:lol:

This sums up my thoughts exactly !!

I have a Facial at least once a month and as above I believe we should practise what we preach. I usually go to different salons and ive had some good facials and some bloody awful ones the bad ones just help me to make my treatments even more special as I avioid the mistakes they make.

I feel quite strongly about this to, I am actually shocked that you have NEVER had a manicure/pedicure yet you offer it as a treatment !

Challenge accepted. I haven't had a facial in a long time.

I get together from time to time with the lady who i teamed up with during my college training and we have a pamper day.
Do as many treatments on each other and any new ones we have trained since to do.
Very nice.

I WISH one of you geeks were near me :cry:

I haven't had a treatment on myself in YEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.
And I'm very particular, about who touches my face or whatever.
Especially since I hate if anyone should see me without my makeup (errr darn rosacea), but a lovely facial would probably do me a world of good.

and it's true what you say, practicing what you preach... never enough hours in the day, between children, house, school activities and then my business.
:|

Just to find time for hubby and I together is a huge challenge (particularly since my mom isn't the grandmotherly type and not keen on sitting the kids very often...)
Then, it's hard to justify the expense to hubby.
He doesn't mind my nails. Heck, they pay for themselves with the advertising.
But, for me to go and get a treatment?

MIND YOU!
The good news is this: his company insurance pays a set amount towards "massage therapy" per year.
GUESS WHO is off to the dr to get a referral for Massage Therapy?
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME:!:
He doesn't want massages. So I'm gonna use up every penny of that
LOL

But back to the point: we really should practice what we preach.
And I will make a concentrated effort to do exactly that in the future.

i suppose it would be beneficial to us to a) have treatments to relax and b)experience others handling of clients and how they do treatments, in will try to book myself in for something, maybe get round to emma doing my nails, or maybe find someone to do a facial, but depends on money and my health etc, but will try

This sums up my thoughts exactly !!

I have a Facial at least once a month and as above I believe we should practise what we preach. I usually go to different salons and ive had some good facials and some bloody awful ones the bad ones just help me to make my treatments even more special as I avioid the mistakes they make.

I feel quite strongly about this to, I am actually shocked that you have NEVER had a manicure/pedicure yet you offer it as a treatment !

well i had a pedicure once 4 years ago, it was not good , but apart from that until the other students in my class at college practised on me, id never had a manicure, ive never had that sort of disposable income ,to allow me to try any treatments, but i dont think that has hampered me in any way shape or form from offering these treatments,

dont get me wrong, it would be fab to have the money to try different salons/therapists , products, treatments etc as it does help give you an idea what its like, help you decide if you want to add that line yourself etc, but not all of us have that sort of money, to justify doing so.

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but i would think that as long as they have completed their training and are qualified, does it matter that they've never experienced this themselves? i dont think me never having a mani/pedi done made any difference to my training, i did extremely well in college and found it easier to learn than some of the girls who had monthly salon visits and had done for years.

Now i understand that yes, it MAY be helpful to have experienced these treatments youself,for the reasons stated above and many more, but i dont think its a major problem if you haven't.

JMHO

xxxx

Yes I do think it matters if a therapist has not experienced the treatment they are offering.

How can you offer a treatment if you have no idea what it feels like ? I have never offered any treatment that I have not experienced myself.

I would feel strange reccommending a treatment and saying how fab it was if I hadn't even bothered having it myself :|

Just to find time for hubby and I together is a huge challenge
Then, it's hard to justify the expense

I'm in the same position! Workng mobile school hours and 4 evenings a week and hubby working full time, we see little enough of each other at the best of times!! Also, I struggle to justify the cost...... I'm pretty rubbish at treating myself, and tend to feel guilty if there's nothing tangible to show for it (how sad is that?!)....

I'd never had enhancements done before I did my training, but I don't think I'm a worse tech for it!!

I really want a pedi though.......

So, I challenge you all to book yourself in to another salon for a treatment this month - October.:lol:[/quote]

Challenge accepted, I have not had a facial in months.

:hug:

:o i have only had one set of nails since before i trained,and i stopped getting waxed as i couldn't find a therapist,so i get nowt done :lol:

However i recently relocated and there are a couple of geeks i could book in with soon :D

yahoo! we have a taker! Well done beautyseeker. go on becki - go for it! Nickys nails, you must do it too! And everyone else that has been on so far.

I;ve already had my quota as last week I had a friend do a reflexology swap with me, and then I sneaked off to a local spa for a choc wrap (all in the name of research you understand).
This week I shall be having needles inserted into my ears many times as I'm on an auricular acupuncture course Tue - Fri.

I'm in the same position! Workng mobile school hours and 4 evenings a week and hubby working full time, we see little enough of each other at the best of times!! Also, I struggle to justify the cost...... I'm pretty rubbish at treating myself, and tend to feel guilty if there's nothing tangible to show for it (how sad is that?!)....

I'd never had enhancements done before I did my training, but I don't think I'm a worse tech for it!!
i agree hunny
I really want a pedi though.......
if you can travel this far, ill do it lolol

Yes I do think it matters if a therapist has not experienced the treatment they are offering.

How can you offer a treatment if you have no idea what it feels like ? I have never offered any treatment that I have not experienced myself.

I would feel strange reccommending a treatment and saying how fab it was if I hadn't even bothered having it myself :|

awww i really dont think its a case of not bothering hun, its a question of money time etc for some people, i really would like to have treatments myself, but it just isnt possible and reading the replies it seems others feel this too, but im sure they are all still great therapists,

I really do
a) envy you - that you can afford and have had all those lovely treatments done and
b) respect you - that you wont offer a treatment until youve experienced it, it shows how seriously you take your job

but i just think it dosent make us any lesser therapists because we havent hun?

but id be interested to see if anyone else feels this way, because if i have got it all wrong, maybe i should not be starting out, as i have no intention of getting regular treatments, no matter what i train in, be it mani/pedi, enhancements, facial, eyebrow shaping or tanning, as i just cannot justify it and my health problems would not allow me to have many of them, so does anyone think i can qualify and perform these treatments at some stage even though i wont be having them myself to experience them?

this is very interesting
xxx

I 'mystery' shop from time to time and have had back massage, facials, nail enhancements, eyelash tints and manicure.

I go every three weeks for a pedicure to a local salon (who know I run my own home salon) and enjoy the luxury of having my feet massaged and nails painted. I also have my under arms waxed at the same appointment.

I am thinking of booking an Indian Head Massage sometime soon .. just for the enjoyment :)

awww i really dont think its a case of not bothering hun, its a question of money time etc for some people, i really would like to have treatments myself, but it just isnt possible and reading the replies it seems others feel this too, but im sure they are all still great therapists,

I've always found it really hard to find the time/money to have treatments done. This year I made a bit of a promise to myself to make more of an effort to have them done.
I set up a bank account that I have money automatically transferred into each week. I still don't go and have treatments done as often as I'd like, but this year I have had a few things done, massage, waxing, a pedicure.
Really when you scheduelle(sp) it, how hard is it to find an hour or two once a month?
I do think it's very important not only to experience the treatments you give, but also to receive the nurturing, for you to then pass it on to clients.
But when it comes to nail enhancments it's a completely different story. I don't know anyone I'd let near my nails.

Well I had a facial on Saturday and very lovely it was too! I was very impressed with the salon and the consultation I had before the treatment was really in depth.

Checked out the nail tech while I was waiting and she was doing some lovely work (Brisa). I might book in for a rebalance next month as I hate doing my own.:green:

I've had all the treatments I offer while training and occasionally as a treat from someone on my birthday. I have to say I've as yet not found anywhere which I would go back to, either I didn't like their technique or the salon hygiene was very good:(.
I do a massage exchange with another therapist about once every two months which is lovely.
I also have reflexology on my feet once a month, which I'm now not going to train for as its nice not to think (or compare) whilst I'm having it done.

Latest posts

Back