How many of you have a day job that isn't beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an MRI technologist. I went to a vocational school during my junior and senior year of high school to get my cosmetology license. I wanted a job with "perks" while going to college. I've been doing nails part time for 17 years now, I've never been able to leave the beauty industry behind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

My other job is an Independent Scentsy Consultant which is warmers and wax (safer than candles) and ideal for when I have some clients come to my house.

I am a purchase ledger manager (accounts) Monday to Friday and work in a supermarket on a Sunday so fit beauty in between it all. I had cancer 5 years ago and was very ill for about1 year. Would love to rent a table/room and build up my clientelle as have home beauty room just now!

I work filling selfs early mornings and have the rest of the day to myself. To arrange appointments or not if the mood takes me! And if the money allows!
Having another job takes the pressure off relying on money. We all have our quiet weeks don't we.

I used to do mystery shopping and its not as cracked up as it sounds, I jacked it in as I found the pay was rubbish.

I'm a self employed Food Safety Consultant. Fancy nails and makeup are a big no no in my industry so this is a huge departure for me. x

I gave up my 17 year career in an international E&P company to follow a dream I had for over 20 years!
I might not know how much is going in my bank account every month but it is up to me to put it there.
I don't earn what I used to, but I am loving EVERY minute of it and I am the happiest I've been in my whole life surrounded by amazing clients.
Even if I only had 2 clients a week and had to eat 5p beans from Tesco I wouldn't go back to working in an office!

It works global skinny wraps and skin care range for me all the way, you get wrap cash, commissions and bonuses and can do it in your own home or when out in a bout no contract and the hours that you want to put in, I've never looked back from joining and the new range is coming beginning of 2015, so next year will be a good year for sales, I also do Beauty from home but with kids working for it works is definitely the better earner

I'm a town planner full time and then do the marketing for my families business(voluntary work don't get paid) done the spray tanning and would like to add to it. Would love to be a makeup artist x

Wow didnt realise how many had second jobs. Life must be tough!

Wow didnt realise how many had second jobs. Life must be tough!

Some of us love both our jobs...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I work full time as Business Travel Consultant and part time self employed doing Beauty. Hubby lost his job and has started own business so I'm main breadwinner at mo :(

It just sounds a bit ignorant, "life must be tough" life is very tough for a lot of people that's why most have to work two jobs, it helps make ends meet, ovs not including those that don't do it for that reason, in which case life isn't tough it's very fulfilled 😊

I work 40 hours a week training to be an accountant then come home and do 20 hours a week from home doing beauty...but the beauty isn't like a job at all I love it!! so many different days jobs you all have!!

Wow!! What a mix...

I'm full time hairdresser with my own salon now...but...I worked for a training provider for ex offenders, spent a lot of time in prisons (not me personally lol but for my work) moved areas, had my.son, then became a single mum.

Went self employed cleaning people's houses and a general home help taking my lad with me, did a nail course.and earnt enough to pay my way through college for hairdressing and my bills, started mobile for Nails and hair.
When he started school I rented a salon, rubbish area but suited me around my lad.

Rented a few chairs in various places then bought the salon I have now....

And proud to say as a single parent I did it single handed, no benefits, no loans, just hard graft and determination....so keep plugging ladies, if I can do it so can you.

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

I work 10 hours a week cleaning! Absolutely hate it but it's the only job i could get since leaving school 4 years ago!
Plus my employer treats me like she has just stepped in something
The amount of CVs I have given out you could of probably saved a few trees!

All I ever want to do it be in the beauty industry, have my own salon is the dream

I wish I had decided this when I left school as I had no idea what I wanted to do. So now i'm 19, college courses aren't paid for :(
But I guess i'll have to wait that bit extra and save on my £65 a week, *sigh*

It will be worth it in the end, just have to keep applying for jobs.
Would help though if employers wouldn't give me an interview, for me then to turn up and say I had the wrong day when I hadn't :/

Do you have a level 2 gcse including maths and english qualification 5 a-c grades or even a level 3? as then education is free up till mid 20s for english colleges. otherwise try apprentices.

I'm the manager of a Toy shop full time, then into my home salon in the evening and weekends.
I live in a very small town, so my books aren't full every evening (unless its Xmas, prom/debs,races etc), which works out and it always seems to come at the right time when I'm shattered! Lol!
I have to admit it is tough at times, but I still wouldn't change it! I really like the versatility of both jobs!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U01 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back