how many of you have given up the 'day job' for nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
How many of you have given up the security of a day job - with a regular wage to concentrate soley on your nail career?? was it worth it? was you scared? did it all work out??
did u go mobile full time?? set up a home salon?? or a rent a space in a/buy a salon?

stepping away from 'safety' - what if you dont get the clients? what if u fail?
but then how do you know if you dont try??

would be interesting to see geeks stories and experiences if they have done this and if it worked out or if it dodnt work out xx

I gave up my salon job to go it alone in beauty as a whole. I was very scared as money was tight, but it was the best thing i ever done! I have steadily got busier and busier, and now cover my salon wage. I work around my kids so I have no hassle with sitters etc. I feel so much happier now.

I would like to but I'm too scared:cry: I haven't got enough clients or IMO enough skill or skills to do it. I think I'd like to get more skilled and experienced and then have a go but i'm such a scaredy cat I won't!!! I admire anyone who does though.

Well done you, you're so brave!

I am a coward at the moment, but one day...............

I did! Well, strictly speaking I was made redundant so decided to change my career for one in nails.....

In a nutshell: I left my full time (and well paid) job in December 2004 and set my self up as full time mobile. In reality I wasn't anywhere near busy enough to be full time throughout 2005, hence redundancy cheque is now spent! 2006 has seen a real upturn in business and I am now consistently busy doing on average 20-ish clients per week (obviously there are quieter times too).

I approached it as a business from day 1, my advertising is expensive but pays off, my literature is professionally printed, I have a complete visual identity including my logo.

At the end of the day I have no regrets! My redundancy money could have taken a huge part of my mortage away but I would still be stuck in an office wondering what else I could do with my life.... I didn't make any money in my first year, but I will this year. It takes time to build a client base and you have to invest to make it pay but it can be done - and I'm still mobile. Being mobile doesn't have to mean you're less professional than a salon, but you have to make an effort to be so.

Sorry for rambling, I hope this is helpful to someone in my position. So, yes it's a risk but I'm glad I took that risk!

I did, I was working 30 hours a week in an accounts office, and I gave it up to origianlly just do nails, but its gone on from there now and i also do beauty as well....I started by renting space, but it was costing me a fortune in childcare and rent so i decided to have a conserv built and i now work from there. I earn more than what i did working 30 hours, but i now only work half that so it worked out for me!:)

I have a very similar problem - no guts!!! I just focus on the what if? what if? what if?
But I'm slowly working a regular client list from my mobile spray tanning and just completed the Creative L&P so soon will be taking that next step and offering nails mobile too.
My what if is the bills I need to cover my current wage, as I haven't got anyone else to lean on if I can't keep my repayments on the house and bills. Its a goal at the moment to be full time mobile but every month it gets closer and I can't wait!!!!

i gave up my regular job i had for 4 yrs to go in a salon self employed it only lasted about 4 months as there was not enough clients coming in.Any way have been mobile since and would like more clients and have been thinking of looking for another job as i find i can either earn a lot or nothing but if i add it up at the end of the month it is quite a good wage.The trouble is if i get a day job it meens all my clients i do in the day i will have to do evenings which i really dont want todo soi will probely stick with this at the mo and hope i can get more clients in.

I approached it as a business from day 1, my advertising is expensive but pays off, my literature is professionally printed, I have a complete visual identity including my logo.

So, where do you advertise, did you get a graphic designer to sort out your logo and then pay a printer to do all your price lists etc? Just being nosey as at present I am doing leaflets etc myself but would like them to become more professional as you can tell they are home pc produced.

I gave up my full time job around 8 years ago, and now it's really paying off. It took a long long time though, and to be honest if it wasnt for my mum and dad I would of had to give up because of the lack of income in the early stages. My advice would be save up as much as possible before hand, and when you take the plunge dont do things by halves, speculate to accumulate. Looking back my biggest mistake was not putting enough money into my business from word go, as I didnt have enough capital to begin with. Now ive got more money behind me i spend more on advertising etc... and get far better results. Good Luck xxx

i gave up my very well paid officer managers/Dr's Sec job of 25hrs a week (due to stress) in Sept 05. Did not know which way to go but enrolled at the local college in Jan 06 and have not looked back, have just qualified in Nail Treatments 2 VCTC in june (awaiting cert), also did nail art which i love to bits as i enjoy being totally creative, took a spray tanning course and also offer this to my list of treatments, body art tattoo's. Going on my Gel nail course (privately with LCN) at the end of sept (can't wait) and also going to try and take basic waxing in October (so if anyone has done a private basic waxing course any info of who you went with and how it went, would be of great help!).
So all in all having a great time, wish i had done it years ago,( but they say life begins at 40 and if definitely has for me), but was bringing up my son and spent a lot of time at home as my hubby used to work away alot.
I am so glad i made the decision to leave my previous job or i still would be there to day and still hating every stressful moment. And yes it is hard as business is slow but i am learning all my treatment techniques properly as at the moment i have the time. I have done all my own advertising and set up a treatment room (converted the garage). I knowit will take off as i am determined to make it work as i have put so much effort into it, and the best thing of all is i enjoy every day as i enjoy my new job. What more can i say! :Love: :lol: I'm a very happy bunny!!!

So, where do you advertise, did you get a graphic designer to sort out your logo and then pay a printer to do all your price lists etc? Just being nosey as at present I am doing leaflets etc myself but would like them to become more professional as you can tell they are home pc produced.

I paid a designer to do my logo/identity and paid a printer to get them professionally printed, I then used my logo etc in my advertising which includes Yellow Pages (full colour ad in a box, covers 2 columns in the directory, costs me £1,500), Yell.com (enhanced listing), Thomson directory (not got me much biz, going to can it), local paper.

I had printed: price lists, after care leaflets, biz cards with space to write appts on the back, gift vouchers all in my identity so they all look consistent and professional.

I know it's an outlay up front but it depends on what you want to get back! Don't get me wrong, I'm not in Richard Branson's league (and probably never will be!) but I am beginning to make some money now....

Hi all,

It's a brave step jumping out into the world by yourself, but as I'm sure all of you who have done it will agree, it is also the most rewarding way to make money. Every penny is so much more satisfying. I have done the same thing myself with setting up an online business based in Australia. I love working for myself, my business is doing well and now I have added a new service to my business. This being creating very affordable websites specifically for Nail Techs and anyone in the beauty industry.

I noticed that a few of you were talking about advertising and the cost involved. I was surprised at how much it can cost to list an add in the yellow pages. In this day and age fingers tend to tap on keyboards rather than walk through phone books. So if I can make a suggestion to those of you wondering how to get found and advertise, make sure you are part of the worlds largest directory...the Internet. I constantly have people emailing me to ask if I know of anyone who does nails in this and that area. I also think it's a good idea to mention which products you use. You would be amazed at how many customers actually know exactly which brand of product they want on their nails and are searching on the internet for that.

So, if anyone is interested please take a look at my site and click on the 'want your own website' link. I take care of everything from the original design through to the web hosting and launch of your site. We add the keywords so that if someone is searching online for nail techs in your area there is a good chance they will find your website.

My whole aim is to produce affordable and stylish websites quickly and easily for people in the same situation as many of you.

If you have a look please let me know what you think. This is a new service we are offering and I value any thoughts from people working in the industry.

Good luck to you all!

I worked in London as a PA and that is what I did for 25 years. 2.5years ago, I ventured into the world of nails, left the full-time job and took up a part-time position as a PA (3 days a week) which I held during my transition into nails. I continued doing PA and nails part-timefor about 1.5years until 8 months ago when I plunged into nails full-time.

It has been extremely hard work but I am so glad that I didn't give up because I am happier now doing something which I am passionate about. It certainly has so much more job satisfaction than the office job.

I was about to give up my day job.

Until my girlfriend announced she was pregnant. I love doing nails as much as I hate my day job, however since I'll soon be a daddy, keeping my day job was a safer bet. I'm still planing to leave it, but not yet.

i'm about to give up my part time job to do nails full time.

i leave work in 2 weeks and i'm going to be renting a room in a hairdressers, so i thought if i'm going to do it i might as well do it properly, do nails full time and get my client base built up.
its a bit scary knowing i wont have the security of my monthly pay, but i have to give it a go, if i fail i will look for another job and do nails part time again.

Right now a work in my home salon for 24 tp 28 hours a week and have another job for 18 hours a week.

Hope to give it up once..

Minette

just started on my on from August. Scary, but had to be done. You have to go for it and and just put your soul into it. I have faith and hope it will be fine. I do waxing, facials etc too, but am looking to train in enhancements, need some guidance on what company to use. Seems alot of you like Exflow and NSI. Need to look about and find out who are worth investing in.

Hx:)

Hi there, i've just moved to a different part of the country so am 'between jobs' right now lol but have previously worked in various office type jobs, pa, secretary, admin etc. Last time i was at my hairdressers he offered me the chance to potentially set up a nail station in his salon :)eek: ) so after discussing it with my hubby i've decided to go for it! I'm now looking for a permanent part-time job (just to make sure i've got enough to pay the mortgage each month lol) and am going to start doing nails part time, until my client base hopefully builds up to where i can leave the other job completely. I'm not into the 'what ifs' in life, i figure if i don't try it i'll never know - and life's too short to worry about what if this and that. If it doesn't work out then i'll cross that bridge if i come to it! x

I work full time as a dental nurse, and have been doing nails for mates for ages!!! now decided that its time to train properly, and make some pennies along the way!!! Not planning on giving up the nursing straight away, but hoping to go back to uni to train to be a Dental hygienest, and so thought my nails could be the saturday job i love whilst studying!!! Enjoying it lots, and maybe one day, I'll give up the day job, do some more nails and have some fun!!!

Whilst I'm here, quick question...I've bin taught how to do the sculpted (which I much prefer to tips) etc... and was just wondering...getting there with the pink and very-white whites, but just wondering which colour peeps recommend for the not-so-white ones; you know, the ones that look more natural. Tried clear and pink powder, but they still look too see through!!! any thoughts...

Gosh, that was a long message!! oops!!!

Emxxx

Latest posts

Back