How many sets of nails did you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailnewbie32

Reaction score
before you thought 'I have this sussed!'

I've done probably 10-12 sets of (gel) nails (all but 4 on me and well they didn't last long!)

I really do try hard, I know my problem areas and I've been working on them one by one. Proper blending of tips, trying to keep all nails the same shape/length not having a chunky free edge :) You know, the usual :)

However, no matter what I do that bloody apex will be the death of me LOL

I have seen some fantastic nails both on here and just on line in general and some days I'm thinking mine will never be that perfect.

Sorry that went on a bit longer than I thought LOL

So how long did it take you to feel confident/ a proper professional?

Jen

been doing nails 10 years and still have my off days , dont worry pal , we all go through it x :Love::Love::Love:

My trainer told me 100 sets before I'm properly confident and competent! Twenty odd down, however many to go! lol

Oh I had an awful off day last week, I should have know it was all going to go wrong when I had to open my glue with a vice grips LOL

My trainer told me 100 sets before I'm properly confident and competent! Twenty odd down, however many to go! lol

I'm thinking 1000 at the moment!

Do you work on clients? I still haven't found the confidence to charge or even put myself out there yet.

I did nails for about a year solid before I felt completely competent. Even after that, I still had the occasional off day. Liken it to a professional athlete of your chosen sport, mine is baseball. Sometimes they don't get on base or they miss a fly ball. They're pros, too, and they certainly make a helluva lot more than I do. I figure if they can have an off day occasionally, so can I.

I did nails for about a year solid before I felt completely competent. Even after that, I still had the occasional off day. Liken it to a professional athlete of your chosen sport, mine is baseball. Sometimes they don't get on base or they miss a fly ball. They're pros, too, and they certainly make a helluva lot more than I do. I figure if they can have an off day occasionally, so can I.

I like your way of thinking :)

I think I just need a confidence boost/ kick up the bum and stop being so afraid at the thoughts of clients. I know my nails now like the ehhhh back of my hand, I need to play with someone elses ( and get money to replace my supplies!)

I need to play with someone elses ( and get money to replace my supplies!)

That's the spirit! Plus, as you said, you know your own nails and the best way to get experience is to experience the varied shapes and eccentricities of other peoples' nails. Even if you charge less than premium price since you're still learning, at least you'll be bringing in some cash and can replenish your supplies and add to your bag of tricks. :wink2:

That's the spirit! Plus, as you said, you know your own nails and the best way to get experience is to experience the varied shapes and eccentricities of other peoples' nails. Even if you charge less than premium price since you're still learning, at least you'll be bringing in some cash and can replenish your supplies and add to your bag of tricks. :wink2:

Exactly! Now which supplier sells confidence? and do they do trade discounts :biggrin:

I dont think i'll ever be there

If someone could advise on how to get a good apex with self levelling gel id love to know?!! I try "freeze curing" but it doesn't seem to work!! perhaps my clients choose to have nails too short so its not really possible?:grr:

xx

I did many sets before I qualified and thought I was doing okay ... a year down the line and plenty of reading on here, I realise how little I knew!!

It's like driving, you only learn by your practice & errors, I've now done at least 250 sets of enhancements & finally feel confident in what I do.. I now accept that if a nail breaks, it's the clients fault, not mine - until a couple of months ago, I wasn't sure.

Watching the 'Removing The Real Cuticle' video definitely gave me a push in the right direction though.

It's not just about getting a decent looking set of nails, it's about getting that set to last as well and that takes time, keep up with it though :)

I did many sets before I qualified and thought I was doing okay ... a year down the line and plenty of reading on here, I realise how little I knew!!

It's like driving, you only learn by your practice & errors, I've now done at least 250 sets of enhancements & finally feel confident in what I do.. I now accept that if a nail breaks, it's the clients fault, not mine - until a couple of months ago, I wasn't sure.

Watching the 'Removing The Real Cuticle' video definitely gave me a push in the right direction though.

It's not just about getting a decent looking set of nails, it's about getting that set to last as well and that takes time, keep up with it though :)

See I've been having the same thoughts, especially how much I wasn't taught. My gel nail course was an add on to the beauty therapy and massage course I was doing. We weren't allowed to keep our nails on so up until I finished I'd never had the chance to do a refill or a rebalance. The sets I had done on other people never lasted more than a week. Once I finished up in May (from Sept) I had a chance to do a set on myself, I actually had them on for 6 weeks without a problem, did a refill and a rebalance in that time ( and changed art on them at least once a week)

This site has given me sooooo much info and actually sparked an even bigger interest in nails.

So in between my waffling I would like to say thanks to all the helpful people on here, even the ones that helpd without knowing it xxxx

I found it took about a year before I became completely confident with my work, just like gr8nailz, I worked solidly practicing to try and perfect my technique. Keep at it - it falls into place eventually.... Just practice, practice, practice. :wink2:

So how long did it take you to feel confident/ a proper professional?

Jen

More than a year I'd say... and I can't say my confidence is firm and unshakable and that I don't feel insecure ever now and then..
Besides, there are always people out there who would give you the hard time for nothing. It's better to stay away from them since the very beginning - I should've done that - wish I were wiser back then - hindsight )))

I can't count all the sets I've done by now but they were not that many given the period since my nailtech training.

a geek on a similar thread said 80-100 sets.

it took me a bit longer.

so pracrise, practise , practise and when you feel like throwing the towel in ...don't

keep at it.

Great thread...that's made me want to keep going and get better and better...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I have done one practice set of l&p and a fill and they were horrible so i thought it was my fault so i havent done any ever since

I've been working as a nail tech since I was 18, i'm now 38 and still plugging away and always learning, there's always new products, new systems new techniques, but I do remember the early days of just learning the basics and it takes time, don't rush your work for the sake of money as speed will come later, you will make mistakes along the way but that's all part of the learning, and we all have our off days. ;)

been doing nails 10 years and still have my off days , dont worry pal , we all go through it x :Love::Love::Love:

I agree! We all go through rough patches no worries. I dont think you can put a number or timeline on how long it will take! Everyone is different girl! Remeber also that you are your own worse critic so what you might see maybe the next person doesnt.
Its just like if you cure a tiny peice of dust in the nail, you see it bit no one else does:p

Hang in there sweets xo

Latest posts

Back