How Many Times Have You Wanted To Give Up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgloverfam

Reaction score
Since becoming a nail tech, how many days have you had that you just wanted to give up? Have you ever given up, and started again? What keeps you going when you want to give up?

When I was fresh out of school (age 18), I worked in a salon where the woman where much older than me (mostly over 40). There was another nail tech there who had been there for 16 years. She had ALL of the clients. There were about 6 hairstylists, and ALL of their clients went to this woman. I just sat at my table looking stupid. I ended up getting all the walk-ins, who usually turned out to be minors looking to get super long enhancements w/ nail art. The owner did nothing to promote me, or help me to promote myself. I literally made about $50 a week, which I had to pay a 40% commision to the owner!! I was so frustrated I wanted to give up.

The second salon I worked at was in a bust downtown area od chicago. Picture the busy New York streets w/ hundreds of people walking about. This was a better situation because I made more money, but I had to be fast. REALLY,REALLY, fast!! The owner, an old guy who cut hair would come back and stand over me while I was working on clients and tell me to hurry up!! Mind you, I had not gained much experience from the first salon (above), so it was like I was just starting out. Many times this man embarrassed me, and made me cry. I could barely go to the bathroom, let alone eat, because I was always behind, and trying to catch up. I almost wanted to give up, but my husband encoured me to move on and find something else.
I'm just wondering if you fellow geeks had stories like these. Please share. Thanks!

Hiya,

To be honest I have never wanted to give up! I absolutley love this industry and i have come to be good fiends with alot of fellow techs all over the uk, i have a busy salon and only get sundays off at the moment!!! i'm pushing for tuesday's too! i love all my clients, who bring alot of fun into my salon................I couldnt imagine doing anything else.
Amanda

Although I'm just starting out, I have had extremely miserable days but can honestly say that I have never wanted to give up and won't! I love doing nails and love meeting new people. I also think if you love something, you'll be particularly good at it. It is so rewarding/satisfying too, even at this stage when I have a lot of room for improvement and am not earning very much. All the other technicians out their who have experienced similar lows but came through with shear determination and talent and who share their wealth of knowledge so freely inspire me.

I have had two experiencies that have made me want to give up. My first one was when i was just starting out and i explained to the client that i had just passed my exams and thats why she was paying model prices. She had acrylic's on already and wanted infills, i said because i knew the girl that had done her fullset did 'nt use the same product it would be better if i did a fresh set. I aslo explained about colout differance, i should have listened to my gut feeling but she said she would wear polish if there was a dirrerance as she didnt have time. Well i did the infills and they looked great apart from a slight colour differance around the cuticle area. She looked at me and shouted " what the hell have you done to my nails" then asked if i was insured..! i sat there for the next hour and a half soaking them off and giving her £40 for a new set. I don't think i'v cryed so much, i never wanted to do nails again, i couldnt beleive that a client could be so horrible after i'v explained the situation. Well after that night my pain turned to anger and i went to the shop were she had her first set done and explained to them what had happened. A few days later she went in to get a nice new set and started bragging to the girls how she got money out of me for a new set and the girls refused to do her nails...!
I think things like this make you stronger....i love this industry even tho i have'nt been in it that long, its like i belong. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Hi Ya, i do at times want to give up and recently have wanted too as keep incurring probems with my gel system but i do think its the love for it that pushes that aside and keeps me persisting just hope i will get there soon lol! x

I gave up for a few months and went back to office work for a while, after my training and setting up my salon in the wrong location I needed a breather and to see if nails really was for me and the pull back to doing nails was so strong! also the few months allowed me to do my own nails and friends with no pressure and I learnt that if I don't flap and get in a muddle I'm actually not a bad nail tech! I think by nature nail techs are very self critical and we think our nails are rubbish, so do like I did and go get a few sets from different salons and see how yours compare, I found out mine were not all bad afterall! J xx

vicky said:
I have had two experiencies that have made me want to give up. My first one was when i was just starting out and i explained to the client that i had just passed my exams and thats why she was paying model prices. She had acrylic's on already and wanted infills, i said because i knew the girl that had done her fullset did 'nt use the same product it would be better if i did a fresh set. I aslo explained about colout differance, i should have listened to my gut feeling but she said she would wear polish if there was a dirrerance as she didnt have time. Well i did the infills and they looked great apart from a slight colour differance around the cuticle area. She looked at me and shouted " what the hell have you done to my nails" then asked if i was insured..! i sat there for the next hour and a half soaking them off and giving her £40 for a new set. I don't think i'v cryed so much, i never wanted to do nails again, i couldnt beleive that a client could be so horrible after i'v explained the situation. Well after that night my pain turned to anger and i went to the shop were she had her first set done and explained to them what had happened. A few days later she went in to get a nice new set and started bragging to the girls how she got money out of me for a new set and the girls refused to do her nails...!
I think things like this make you stronger....i love this industry even tho i have'nt been in it that long, its like i belong. I can't imagine doing anything else.
It always amazes me how terrible some people can be!! And you are right, it does make us stronger. I've had days when clients made me cry, or just feel plain inadequate. You are also right that we are overly critical! I honestly think that nail techs are perfectionists (rightfully so!), because who else would want to sit at a table and poke, and prod, at such tiny things as nails!?!?! LOL LOL You have to be a very detailed person!

I have to say that there has been many times i've wondered what am i doing?? But when i've thought about how much pleasure i get out of producing a good set of nails especially on a nail biter, i know its something i will get through.

We all have our bad days and its not always easy dealing with "joe public" but as long as you always bounce back and never let 'em get you down, it will make you stronger and better fo it.

Latest posts

Back