How much dead skin can you really remove during a pedi?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmoneypenny

Reaction score
Hello Geeks,

I have trained in mani and pedi although I don't do many as I'm mainly a holistic therapist. I have done a couple of pedi's this week and been asked to remove dead skin.

I have used a good quality food scrub and tried really scrubbing the feet but it doesn't seem to make any difference! For example a ladyhad the remains of a blister on her foot, with a big flap of dead skin, probably about 2 millimetres thick, and the size of at least a 5p coin. Should I have cut it off with scissors?? It was totally dead and I scrubbed as hard as I thought I could in that position, the scrubbing didn't hurt her at all but nothing came off!

I have tried scrubbing in a round motion and soaking the feet before but it just doesn't seem to produce the result I'm looking for

Am I being too ambitious about what you can do with a foot scrub? and without a tool that actually cuts the skin,and that I wouldn't use without being trained a lot!

Geek advice appreciated! thanks :)

A scrub will only remove loose dead skin where as on feet I use scrub and a foot file no need 2 cut the skin at all after soaking the dead hard skin on feet swells up and goes White then use a foot file to remove leaving super soft hard skin free feet

You need an abrasive foot file. Not a knife, not without being trained in using a blade. You might be amazed how much dead skin you can get off with a good file. You can use on dry feet, or my preference would be to soak them first.

You can actually get more dead skin off feet by filing them first as opposed to soaking first.
If there is very hard skin and calluses you can use a callus remover.

I would recomend a callus remover and I always file dry. Beauty Express have some on page 165, I dont believe you should even be thinking of cutting skin of a clients feet with scissors (think of your insurance)

I got my new therapist to do one on me today. It is easy to do and gives excellent results (especially on my husband who used to have quite thick skin on his feet).

You can offer it as a stand alone treatment, as a supplement prior to doing a pedicure or put it into a foot pamper package with a (luxury) pedicure and a foot massage.

I use Marcela's cuticle/callous remover, its the best stuff i have ever used, it just melts the hard skin when used with a foot file. No blades or cutting instruments needed. They also do a scrub which is just lovely, smells good enough to eat.

You can actually get more dead skin off feet by filing them first as opposed to soaking first.
If there is very hard skin and calluses you can use a callus remover.

I find I get much better results from soaking first (but dry the feet before using a foot file) The skin comes off in little sausages!

I find I get much better results from soaking first (but dry the feet before using a foot file) The skin comes off in little sausages!

I do this too and find it very effective.

In my little treatment room, it also suits my routine to do this first as i do the treatment on the couch. I like to soak their feet first to clean them too, though i know you can use a spray, some of my clients have been rushing around and their feet can be a bit sweaty.

These are the steps I personally take during this part of the pedicure.

1. Soak
2. Dry foot thoroughly with a towel (so the file doesn't slip n slide around)
3. Use a 180 grit foot file. Smooth is good.. Almost rubs off the dead skin
4. Dip file in water. Pat dry on towel
5. Proceed to SMOOTH excess dead skin. Reducing calluses.. NOT removing them. Calluses are there for a purpose.. As protection against excessive friction on the skin. Reducing the intensity of them helps to keep down cracking due to overgrowth. You want the foot to be smooth when you are finished... Not raw.
6. Follow up with an oil based salt/sugar scrub. Rinse, and moisturize. Works every time.

I've had techs use abrasive foot files on me as well as performing dry filing without soak. Both left my feet feeling scratchy and needing done after only a week.

USE OF BLADES ON THE PUBLIC IS USUALLY ILLEGAL. At least in the states. I can't believe they still sell these things.

Callus treatments... Not really necessary if u ask me. But some people love them. Just b sure not to leave them on too long... Or use on people with thin/sensitive skin.

That's my two cents. Good luck!!

Thanks for that tip! I'm going to try it in my OH later as he has been wanting one for a while!!!

I find I can get an amazing amount off pre-soaked feet. The way to find out what works best for you would be to do one foot dry and one foot pre-soaked.

I have tried Callus Peel, I think it works BUT it is a bit of a faff, in my opinion.

I have tried Callus Peel, I think it works BUT it is a bit of a faff, in my opinion.

I've tried it too, I am too impatient to wait. I used to offer it witha mini facial, or brow wax, or mini mani whie it was cooking. But it wasn;t very popular anyway.

If a client comes in who I think is beyond the help of a good scrub and buff, I point them in the direction of a chiropodist. They really appreciate you being honest with them, (don't con clients into a pedi when they need something more!) and will still come back to you to have them prettied up in between chiropody appointments.

Latest posts

Back