How much do you charge to rent a chair in hair salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello hairbesties! How much in avarage is OK to charge for a chair in hair salon ? I have 3 chairs and I'm working full time there too ! And what is included in the chair rental and what happens with the materials and stock ? Do I charge % for using stock and coffee teas card machine etc? I don't really want 50/50 or anything like that .. Just looking for nice and easy option ? Thank you in advance!

You have two options you provide everything and take a % cut. Or charge a daily rent ( usually same as a cut and blowdry) ....

Mostly depends on your area. I pay a daily rate and the only thing I provide myself is colour and peroxide, I also have my own card reader.

Tea/ coffee, towels, gowns, foils water ect are included in my rent. x

I think it depends on where you are mostly! I am in a small town salon, my salon owner takes 30% off me but I provide everything myself except the typical water, electricity, gowns, towels, tea and coffee :) x

Last edited:
I pay weekly rent in a small country town. $75 a week... in our neighboring bigger city it's like $125 a week

In my salon I charge $350/month, stylists provide their own color and towels and use a card reader on their phones. Most salons in my city charge no less than $100/wk.

When you guys 'rent a chair' whether it be % or daily/weekly rent.....does your terms state how many chairs they can use? I have employed staff but I also have spare chairs I am thinking of renting, but at the mo I have a s/e that can be using up to 3 chairs at a time, as she's trying to squeeze folk in over less days. She works on a % basis so for the busy days it can work out great...but not so good when she has an extra 2 days off many weeks! I would like to rent at least another chair out but I may have to restrict her use on her busy days. Just thought it was worth asking the experts! In my previous experience....it's mainly been a set rent and they have use of one chair but wondered if I'm being picky?

If she rents one chair she only gets one chair. I'm an esthetician and if I pay to rent a room, I can't take two.

Tell her that the 'clue's in the name' - Rent A Chair.
If she wants to use 2 or more chairs, she needs to pay you more money.
Be firm.

I used to rent a chair it was £110 a week xxx

Thanks folks! Just wanted to check I wasn't crazy! Like you guys.....my understanding of renting, is 'a' space....not whatever chairs she chooses to fill!

I'm a qualified PT as well as a hairstylist in training and what I can tell you is;
Percentage of income: shows you have faith that stylist can make money. Less risky position for employee. Allows a sense of belonging in the team. Potentially makes you more money. (70%them/30%you is an attractive number)
Rent: No risk to you (excluding having a stylist who is bad in your salon). Great for people with established clientele. More of a stable income on your side.

As for products you could let them use yours/get them to pay you or even let them use their own brand. If I wanted to rent a chair I'd want to use an eco brand and I imagine other stylists would enjoy using the colour line they love.

Latest posts

Back