How much do you pay for Hairdressing Scissors?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
Somehow I got sent a catalogue full of hair supplies... which I was going to pass into the Hair Salon as it's not for me.... BUT... I had a glance through and almost fell off my stool....

Matzasuki scissors.... £600 :eek:

Are they made of solid gold or something?!

Lol you would think they were made of gold wouldn't ya at that price.
If they are quality cutting, smooth with hardened blades that do not deteriorate after a couple of sharpenings, then it is well worth the money spent.

Somehow I got sent a catalogue full of hair supplies... which I was going to pass into the Hair Salon as it's not for me.... BUT... I had a glance through and almost fell off my stool....

Hi really big prices aren't they ?, I find the classic Joell great, [I think thats how to spell it] they ave a little cockerel on them
great scissors around £120- but can go up to a lot more ,
some are hand made and it really is a fantastic skill,

but Id be scared to leave them around or drop them if i paid that much for them:)
minky

I Have an older pair of Matsuzaki's...I think I got them about 18 years ago "used" for, around $100 dollars. AWESOME sheers, I don't use them anymore but my sister does. Every single day...so when you think of the time we've gotten out of them, they are really worth the money.

And they are so great that they really don't even have to be sharpened or adjusted very often...maybe once every 1 or 2 years. Not bad really...even at the current prices.

I wouldn't spend money like that on a sheer unless I was allowed to cut a couple of heads with them and I know I love them.

If you are cutting 6 to 10 heads a day or 35 to 40 to 50 heads a week at $35 per head...$600 for a pair of great sheers for the next 10...15...20...years, doesn't sound so bad... really.
At least that is what my wrist say's...LOL:green:

Lol sophiea, 600 pounds in the UK is like almost 1200.00 for us if I got the exchange right. ;)

Lol sophiea, 600 pounds in the UK is like almost 1200.00 for us if I got the exchange right. ;)
yep that's right..about $1200 clams! It is a real skill to design and create a shear that lives up to our standards, we expect almost the impossible. A well balanced super sharp tool that doesn't require much to maintain and can be disinfected often.

Yaaaaaahhhh! Ok I would hate to lay that kind of cash out for $35 haircuts...but what is the going rate for a hair cut in the UK?? In Pounds?

I'm assuming that Michigan is kind of like Idaho, mid range, working class kind of folk!

Here (middle of no where, podunck Idaho, population less than 50,000) high end hair cut in $'s 35 low end us (cosmetology school) 7.50 go to Salt Lake and you range from our price at a school to $125 in pounds that would be between 17.50 and 3 for Idaho and 63 in Salt Lake.

12 years ago I paid $225 for my Centrix Jaguars, I've had them rebalanced faithfully every 2 years and they are still going strong. They don't come out and play very often anymore since I'm teaching, I can't expect a student to create the same look with a beginning tool, so I use the same shears they do, a lower end shear that will get them a good start- about $65.- I feel if I can't do it how can I ask a student to.

I had a pair of Jowells that lasted me over ten years. Paid $600 for them. Well worth the money.
Personally, I think any higher in price and you are paying "designer" prices. Like going to Ross (discount store) and getting designer jeans from nordies for 1/3 the cost you would pay at the nordie store.

There are those who think that the higher they pay for something, the better the product is. Sometimes this is true, sometimes not.

i think the most i paid for hairdressing scissor when i was doing it was about £120, but that was a fair few years ago , i still wouldnt pay £600 for a pair of scissors although my mate who has a salon has and to be honest i held them and they felt awful to me , really chunky and heavy and long blades 6 "
i cant cut with anything other than 5" anything longer feels like i am using gardening shears :lol:

its like most things if its your business you have to look at them as an investment people that dont do nails would think £25. would be alot to pay for a brush to do nails i have just paid £175 for my scissors and love them to bits

I had a pair of Jowells that lasted me over ten years. Paid $600 for them. Well worth the money.
Personally, I think any higher in price and you are paying "designer" prices. Like going to Ross (discount store) and getting designer jeans from nordies for 1/3 the cost you would pay at the nordie store.

There are those who think that the higher they pay for something, the better the product is. Sometimes this is true, sometimes not.

Totally agree with this one ,

do you think there is an element of scissor snobbery out there ?:)

when I bought a cheaper pair when I was training ,

the counter staff told me they wernt worth buying,:confused:
anyway they were great little scissors,

I wonder do you know of any really good thinning /texturising
scissors for finely
thinning / texturising the ends of the hair without leaving a line
of demarcation ?

Ive never had a pair I have really been happy
with :) thank you for any help

Minky

Im a fan of Jowell, purchased them a few times over the years but wouldent pay over £135.00. Ive also got a fab Salon services own brand that i bought for £15.00 & used regular for about 18 months, no complaints whatsoever !!!

I recently purchased a pair of yoi scissors for £29.99 and also recieved a £29.99 voucher to be used in the future against any pair over £100!

Really good value scissors and are great for slicing and cutting!!

the website is well worth a view! (www.yoiscissors.com):lol:

I have a pair of 5 inch jowell colbalts. I have had them years. I paid about £160 for them if I remember rightly. I wouldnt pay £600 for a pair unless I could really afford to.

pay as much or as little as you want for your scissors but remember to try them out and get a feel for them first, these are the tools of your trade, buy the best you can possibly afford as they will last you for many years, and essentially will enable you to cut cleaner lines, and ultimately earn you lots of cash. my last pair cost me £700, they are made from the same material as a samurai sword and they are amazing!!! i love them.

pay as much or as little as you want for your scissors but remember to try them out and get a feel for them first, these are the tools of your trade, buy the best you can possibly afford as they will last you for many years, and essentially will enable you to cut cleaner lines, and ultimately earn you lots of cash. my last pair cost me £700, they are made from the same material as a samurai sword and they are amazing!!! i love them.

Hi , then they have been heated to a very high temperature and the steel folded many times which makes them strong ,
with those type of scissor you can shave your arm hair off with a feather light tickle of one open blade :green:
What are your scissors named ?

Hey check out the yoiscissors website i did its good like their offer for juniors ... me i bought a pair of their dearer ones hey but I but got a voucher so gave my long sufferin junior a bonus chuffed as muck for 10 mins lol :) I get a pair they get a pair can't be bad n the guy gave me a deal on the phone .. wow got an even better price on the ones i wanted. Akkosh XO' friggin dear but mwaaaaah are they smooth.

i have been hairdressing for a long time and have been recognised for my work i have had expensive and cheap scissors at the mo i use a £50.00 quid or so pair and do a lot of texturising, blunt, slither cutting etc and i find them great, its all down to the balance and length of the scissor although i have always used one side serrated as i like the "grip" you get from a serrated scissor

i have been hairdressing for a long time and have been recognised for my work i have had expensive and cheap scissors at the mo i use a £50.00 quid or so pair and do a lot of texturising, blunt, slither cutting etc and i find them great, its all down to the balance and length of the scissor although i have always used one side serrated as i like the "grip" you get from a serrated scissor

Hi Lilly .. yup your right it taste, its like you using serrated .. I never liked the "crunch" and never tried texturising or sliding with a serrated edge. Kinda think it would pull (ouch)... or crunch.. so yup all down to taste and feel. And you ain't wrong and I ain't right. Comes down to results at the end of the day
:lol:

Latest posts

Back