How much do you rent a chair for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOM

Reaction score
Trying to find out the going rates for renting a chair, could you please post how much you pay, or how much people pay in your area?

thx

anybody there? LOL

Not a hair stylist but most salons around here start at £200 per week for the chair with the really busy, more exclusive salons charging around £250.

thanks for the reply bombini

£200-250 sounds high, is that for a city centre place?

basically I am opening a new salon (on a main road through a small town 3 miles out of Manchester city centre) and we will have 3 chairs (1 back wash) and I'm just looking for the best way to get people in renting chairs from us... so obviously I want to price the chairs fairly so everyone is happy and wants to stay.

No its a small town, but its very busy (stratford upon avon) so we get a lot of tourists and its quite a wealthy area.

I suppose when you are taking around £1000 a week per stylist its quite reasonable, also due to the area the rent on the buildings is also very high, plus business rates so I guess thats why its quite high around here.

When I worked in a local hair salon, I paid 30% and supplied all my own products etc.

Ah, OK thanks bombini that sounds pretty logical.

I would like to know more for other areas if anyone is willing to post - cheers.

When I worked in a local hair salon, I paid 30% and supplied all my own products etc.

we are thinking about suggesting this to the stylists to help them get established before they have to pay rent, we don't know yet what they would preffer

thanks for the input though

We have a salon in a city centre and we also charge rents for chairs, we supply everything products band colours and Pay Juniors a wage to wash & Shampoo their clients for them - and of course to clean up too we charge a 50% rent on all takings but the girls do get targets to aim for where for example if their takings hit a certain figure they get a 60/40 keeps them hungry!!

General rule given is that rent should equate to 50% of take if they supply own products or 60% if you supply products. I rent out a chair in my salon for £50 per day. If you are only small you may be ok but the VAT man is hot on chair renting as they view it as VAT avoidance and they don't like it.

How many stylists in your salon AndyP?
I think then that might be the low end of the range for chair rental costs?

If 50% is a given, then maybe we are better having a period of profit share... might help everyone all round, maybe if everyone is happy it could stay like that.

HI JOM

I have got 5 stylists in total with only one chair renter, who is actually the person we bought the salon off. The reason i went for a fixed cost rather than a percentage was due to VAT regs and it made it easier to show he was self employed rather than me avoiding VAT. If you are a member of the NHF they isue guidelines for renting chairs if you are just opening i do recommend you having a look at joining.

Thanks Andy.

ATM I am thinking about a fixed £100 a week per chair (3 chairs). No power/utility charges or maintenance etc.

But I still want to be able to have some sort of retail revenue stream from the hair side going to the salon...
so rather than try and get all the self employed stylists to use products we specify, we let them use whatever they are used to for the colours/perms etc but we have a set range for shampoo / conditioners etc...
Complication being they would have to buy this product (obviously at cost not RRP or get the same thing themselves from there own suplier) to use on clients but it might be more expensive than whatever they used to use but in turn they would get commission for these things.

Does that sound viable guys?

JOM

I think sounds fine as I would think that most stylists unless they were ultra keen on a particular make would just run with what you have in the salon for ease. From my experience on the chair rent thing it is easier to drop prices than raise though so if you start at a £100 and fill them it might be harder to raise the price than to start at say £150 and drop it if you don't fill them ?

Latest posts

Back