How much does everybody pay for rent of chair or percentage and what does it include?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrss811

Reaction score
hi everyone,
I’m trying to find out what most people pay for renting a chair in a hair salon or if on a percentage basis what percentage you are on - also what does it include?
A girl in my salon who works on a self employed basis has asked for either a raise on her percentage which is already 60 to her 40 to salon owner or to change to a rent of chair basis.
We have only ever worked with percentages so no idea about rent of chair!
Currently the salon provides everything EXCEPT hair cutting equipment and blow dryer/brushes etc so stock, towels, Internet, phone, advertising, salon rent, insurances, uniform, water bills, electricity and stylists getting their own hair done are all included in the 40% we pay.
The problem being we are a ladies and gents salon and girl who has asked for a rise mainly does gents hair with the odd colour thrown in, so feels it is unfair that she has to pay same percentage as the other girls who are using more colour stock.
Please help as I’d like to do my research and get a good idea of a national average and how things work before I sit down and work out what is best to move forward with,
Thanks!

Hi I charge 40%. It includes brushes, blow dryer, etc (all electrical equipment if she chooses as all electricals have to be pat tested for use in salon) towels, electric, shampoos and conditioners, styling products, peroxide’s, bleach powder, air con, advertising, price lists if they choose to charge the same as me, appointment cards, refreshments, WiFi, water. Insurances should be provided by the chair renter, clothes should be choice of chair renter, all monies for the chair renter should be handled by the chair renter, and the chair rental at 40% and tubes of tint are billed to them at the end of week. They can supply their own tubes of tint but I buy them and have them for use at cost price so they prefer to use my stock usually. We do ladies and gents and I wouldn’t make it complicated if I were you billing her different to others because of her clientele. It could get very complicated... if I was renting a chair on a daily fee it would be around £50 a day, minimum of two days and tubes of colour would be billed on top but inclusive of all of the above. Daily rental is like a rent so has to be paid all year round wether they use it or not... some ppl think daily chair rental should be cost of a cut and finish per day, but I don’t get that luxury, it costs me more than that per day to keep salon running so I can’t afford to do that for chair renters.. it would then cost my business money and you don’t have chair renters to cost you money... I don’t know your outgoings, only you do... but be sure that your chair renters truly are self employed to avoid being penalised by the tax man. You could then be liable for their holiday pay and their pensions if they are deemed to be in fact employed. Xx

Standard deals in my area are a chair rental of a set amount per day, paid 52 weeks per year. No break for holidays, etc. Usually price of cut/blow dry per day. Self emp person supplies all cutting and electrical equip and colours. Salon would typically supply internet, towels, refreshments, mags, backwash supplies and sometimes telephone and styling products.

If on a percentage basis....standard services are on 50/50 basis. Colour services are 60/40 if salon is supplying colours. (60% is to the salon). If u do this, salon needs to make sure the s/e persons prices will cover the cost of the colour which should be no more than the 10%. S/e is responsible for own electrical and cutting equip.

In both cases, they should arrange and pay for their own ins, business cards, advertising, pat testing, training, etc.

Currently the salon provides everything EXCEPT hair cutting equipment and blow dryer/brushes etc so stock, towels, Internet, phone, advertising, salon rent, insurances, uniform, water bills, electricity and stylists getting their own hair done are all included in the 40% we pay.
The problem being we are a ladies and gents salon and girl who has asked for a rise mainly does gents hair with the odd colour thrown in, so feels it is unfair that she has to pay same percentage as the other girls who are using more colour stock.
Thanks!

You shouldn’t be paying for her insurance, uniform or have anything to do with her getting her hair done as this makes it sound more like an employment situation.
She is an independent business owner so legally, she should be covering these things herself.
If she wants to drop the gents haircuts and focus on women’s colours and styling to earn more money, then she should choose to do that instead.

I supply everything of my own, insurance is covered by the salon but everything else I do including phone. I pay 50% of the profits I make

Latest posts

Back