How much is usual when renting space.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie harden

Reaction score
Hi i am about to start renting space in a hairdresses and was wondering how much is usually paid. Does it go on the hours that i will be able work there or is it the space.What are the questions that i should be asking. I have alot of experience and already done a set for the lady whos salon it is and she was very happy.I would appreciate any information on this subject.

Hi there,

Congratualtions on your new venture!

I rent two rooms in a hairdressers so hopefully I will be of some help.

I pay a flat rate every month. This includes use of my rooms whenever I wish, all my utility bills (gas, water etc.) It also includes a vast client base!!!

The rate you pay will depend on your the area your in as obviously somewhere in London will be alot more expensive.

Some places will ask you for a percentage of the money you make. This is obviously an advantage if you dont have an existing client base, as if you dont have a client you dont have to pay. However depending on the percentage can become a negative because you can feel a little begrudging giving them your money! I have read from some geeks on here that this can also make the place feel that they can make you use what products they want which may not be an advantage to you.

I prefer paying a flat rate as I know what I have to make a month and then the rest can be reinvested. Obviusly its just a personal opinon. I am very lucky the couple I rent off are so lovely I pay my rent they rave about me I please their clients and its all happy days. I know some geeks have had problems with the people they rent off, I am sure someone will tell you about their experiences.

Questions you need to ask are:

1) Will you have access to the building when you want?
2) Will you have to provide your own seating area for your clients?
3) Will you be able to use their drinks making facilities for your clients?
4) Will you be allowed to use their staff room?
5) Will you be allowed to do any work to the room or will you need permisison from them?
6) Will you be allowed a lock on your door, so no one can enter when you are not there?
7) Will they take bookings for you or do you need to arrange your own booking system (I advise keeping it seperate as you know your times so can always squeeze someone in or juggle things around.)
8) Will their staff look after your clients if your in a treatment?
9) Will you be allowed advertising space in a prominent area of the salon - even if this is only for a month every three its better than nothing.
10) When you advertise will you be able to use their name - if it is a well regarded salon this can be a massive plus point.
11) If you do any improvments to the room or rooms will they subsidise you?
12) Check the walk to your room - is it well decorated or does it need improvment? When I did my rooms up I shamed the hairdressers into smartining up their salon so plus point all round.
13) Will you be allowed to do treatments on clients having their hair done?
14) Can you put products in the bathroom - for example handwash or cream can be a massive selling point for you.
15) Will you have a full on contract or a more loose one. I dont have a full on contract I could leave tommorow, they could kick me out tommorow, but I knew them before and there is trust there. I know I could literally rip out everything I put into the room and they'd be left with the shell I took on, fear always works haha!
16) Will you be able to do joint advertising campaigns together?

Once you have agreed the above and are ready to take on them rooms I suggest:

1) Agreeing on a set discount say 10 or 20% for you to receive from them and they to receive from you it saves so much bitching!
2) Asking if you can come in and talk to clients offering free hand massages or such like.
3) Get working!!! hehe

I hope this has been of some help, I am so sure I have missed something but I am sure someone will be along to add to what I have missed!!

Good luck,

Becki xxx

Thanks a great help to me and hopefully it will go well, one thing i know for sure i will give it my best. Thanks.

excellent advice from becki.

rent can be anything from £50 - £150 per week dependant on your area.

Latest posts

Back