How much massage oil per treatment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megdav87

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has ever estimated his many ml of massage oil they use on average per full body massage?
We use very expensive ESPA body oils and the girls go through them so ridiculously quick. I want to provide measuring cups to help monitor and help them not waste so much!
Obviously this varies per client due to size/ skin type and I don't wish to sound stingy. But there has been occasions where therapists have used a third of a bottle! I need to give them some guidance on how much is too much!

I use about 90ml for full body. That is using sunflower oil, depending on the thickness of the oil and size of the client it can be more or less.

Edit: I really should read over when I post a reply! My stubby finger hit 9 instead of 6. 60ml is what I work to cost wise per treatement. Some larger clients I will use pretty much all of that. Also if working into scalp/hair. But I also give the client oil blended with essential oils to take with them.

Last edited:
What kind of dispenser does it come in.I probably use more if I'm pouring out of a bottle probably the least when I dispense into a dish and kind of just dip into it.Which I do for a tailor blend aromatherapy treatment.
Generally I use bottles with pumps on like hand soap bottles.

I only use 20ml/30ml depending on body size etc, thats grapeseed. Or almond

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was wondering if any one has ever estimated his many ml of massage oil they use on average per full body massage?
We use very expensive ESPA body oils and the girls go through them so ridiculously quick. I want to provide measuring cups to help monitor and help them not waste so much!
Obviously this varies per client due to size/ skin type and I don't wish to sound stingy. But there has been occasions where therapists have used a third of a bottle! I need to give them some guidance on how much is too much!

Well the espa bottles are only 100ml and I tend to use 20-30ml per full body which is just shy of 1/3 of the Bottle. Sounds like they are doing it right xx

I couldn't tell you really but taking a guess at about 20ml for a full body. It's true that with a pump dispenser you use less x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Approx 30ml as well. I loved the ESPA oils, but a couple of us developed contact dermatitis from them as they are so strong.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

I use 25ml for a whole body massage. X

Sorry that's either almond or grapeseed oil!

Thankyou everyone that's really helpful. I think I probably use 20ml.
I don't mind if they use more on the client if its required. it's just the amount of it dribbling down the back bar and on the floor after a massage which bothers me most.
Perhaps a pump is the way forward or measuring 20 ml into a dish then they can add more if needed.

Thankyou everyone that's really helpful. I think I probably use 20ml.
I don't mind if they use more on the client if its required. it's just the amount of it dribbling down the back bar and on the floor after a massage which bothers me most.
Perhaps a pump is the way forward or measuring 20 ml into a dish then they can add more if needed.

Ikea do very round shaped metal bowls in about 4 sizes - from massive salad size to tiny (think dappen dish) size. I pour my oil into one of these at prep stage - about half full I think. Not sure of the ml but it's certainly enough & I've only once had to add a bit more.

x

Great question!

I've found that I use less with experience. As business owners we always notice more with we think too much of a product is used and this is true for all products.

We use bowls, so it's obvious if any oil is being wasted and if any is being flushed down the sink. I think it's part of the therapist's development to work economically, and it's writing to all my job descriptions.

If you've more than one therapist, perhaps you can work out who is using the most? Whenever any of my staff do something to the benefit of the business, I always make sure they receive thanks and know I appreciate it.

Thank you that's really handy!

I think they think I'm being stingy and nit picking about stock but they have no idea what we are spending a month on products. It's alot!

One of our therapists comes from a large spa so I think she felt able to use as much product as she wanted and if didnt matter as there was an endless supply.
The other one comes from a salon where the owners were barely there so again could do what they want.
I'm going to call a meeting and talk about staff developing their skills and working economically. Hopefully then they will be more mindful.

Thankyou all for your advice!

Do you have to use ESPA oils for all your massages.Is this because it is a signature massage.Other companies like Eve Taylor do beautiful blended good quality body oils.

All of the oils I've ever used have had pump tops (Decleor, Aromatherapy Associates etc), which makes dispensing easier as you can work out the average number of pumps per limb. I only do it by ml if using Decleor massage balms and when using an aromatherapy blend I have made for a client, in which case I tend to use 20-25ml for a full body, much more and I find it hard to get any purchase on the skin.

Is diluting the Espa oil an option?
Say half Espa + Half run-of-the-mill grapeseed oil.

Latest posts

Back