how much monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay welch

Reaction score
How much monomer do you use for a set of nails.I find by the time i get to the second hand it gets sticky and hard to pick up a bead.so what i want to know is do you do 5 and empty old and put in clean or do you top up what you have got in there or do all 10 with one pot.:)

Kay,

What do you use to transfer your monomer?

I use a pipette(sp?) and it takes 2 full squirts for an average set. I dont change after each hand only at the end of each set.

yeah i use a pippette but i dont use that amount half a pippette fills my dish up.I find especially when doing p&w when i get to about the 7th finger it gets harder to pick up beads they are to small.Do you think i am leaving residue on my brush that is then making the monomer thicker is this by working to wet??or does this happen anyway.

yeah i use a pippette but i dont use that amount half a pippette fills my dish up.I find especially when doing p&w when i get to about the 7th finger it gets harder to pick up beads they are to small.Do you think i am leaving residue on my brush that is then making the monomer thicker is this by working to wet??or does this happen anyway.

Absloutely !

Firstly check your mix ratio,sounds like you have product left in your brush wich shouldn't happen.

And secondly,the only time you should wipe your brush is after you have done the white before moving onto the next hth x

Hiya

I think the most probably cause for thick sticky monomer is definately contamination. Are you perhaps working too wet and not placing all your product cleanly onto the nail? It definately sounds like you are putting wet polymer back into your monomer which in turn is making it cloudy, sticky and thick. This will result in not being able to get the correct product ration when picking up beads. I was taught not to wipe the brush after placing the bead on the nail as this causes odour in the salon, but maybe have a lint free pad with a little scrubfresh on to briefly wipe your brush before placing it back in the monomer? Also you could try using a larger recepticle for your monomer?

Hope this helps.

Thanx i think i do work a little wet and am practising what do you all use to practise to do your beads i have been looking for a bit of plastic that is supposed to work but where do you get it from?? How many times do you wipe your brush to do a medium bead.

i use the creative dog dish so i would think that holds enough to do a set.

Thanx i think i do work a little wet and am practising what do you all use to practise to do your beads i have been looking for a bit of plastic that is supposed to work but where do you get it from?? How many times do you wipe your brush to do a medium bead.

You only wipe the brush when you have completely finnished the white application of one nail as it removes monomer from the flags and your ratio will go to pot !

You can use plastic or perspex,i use a peice of paper with different size circles to help with picking up the right size bead.

Take a look at the tutorials hun,they are very helpfull ,hth x

Dog bowl is great and i find it holds more than enough hun x

Gigi's tutorial hun

http://www.salongeek.com/preparation-application/8912-product-control-part-1-mix-ratio.html

You would appear to be working wet which is contaminating your monomer, but in answer I change my monomer for each hand. I about half fill my dappen dish then wipe it out after the first hand and half fill again for the second hand. For me it minimises the risk of contaminating the monomer.....

hth's

Can I ask why you advise this?

I think the theory is that any powder particles will drop to the bottom and not be picked up by your brush, but I usually immerse the whole of my brush so I would pick up the contaminants as well!

You only wipe the brush when you have completely finnished the white application of one nail as it removes monomer from the flags and your ratio will go to pot !

You can use plastic or perspex,i use a peice of paper with different size circles to help with picking up the right size bead.

Take a look at the tutorials hun,they are very helpfull ,hth x

Dog bowl is great and i find it holds more than enough hun x

I have a feeling that Kay might have been asking how many times would you wipe your brush on the side of your dappen dish to make the bead, rather than when applying the bead. In which case I think it is a very personal thing and depends on how much pressure you apply etc. I tend to wipe mine twice, once on each side of the brush.

When we did the Creative foundation we were given a laminated/Glossy piece of card to practice our beads on

Hth's xx

I suggested this because if she is only able to get half a pipette of monomer in the dish it sounds very small. I think if she tried using a larger recepticle for the momoner it would enable her to roll the brush round thus reducing air bubbles and collecting more fresh momoner on her brush before wiping off the excess.

I think the theory is that any powder particles will drop to the bottom and not be picked up by your brush, but I usually immerse the whole of my brush so I would pick up the contaminants as well!

I do this too, to make sure that I have no bubbles in my brush

I suggested this because if she is only able to get half a pipette of monomer in the dish it sounds very small. I think if she tried using a larger recepticle for the momoner it would enable her to roll the brush round thus reducing air bubbles and collecting more fresh momoner on her brush before wiping off the excess.

Ah I see. Thank you xx

yes i can see what you meen by using a larger dish but i thought the one i had was good for the job??:eek:

I have a feeling that Kay might have been asking how many times would you wipe your brush on the side of your dappen dish to make the bead, rather than when applying the bead. In which case I think it is a very personal thing and depends on how much pressure you apply etc. I tend to wipe mine twice, once on each side of the brush.

When we did the Creative foundation we were given a laminated/Glossy piece of card to practice our beads on

Hth's xx

Ah i see .

I was taught the same way as you Rachel,this is covered in the tutorial i linked,hth x

The dog bowl should be large enough hun x

You're welcome! x

This is something that used to happen to me. I used a small dish for my momoner when I was first learning L&P and found that I was only getting through 4 or 5 nails before the momomer went cloudy and I couldn't pick up a decent bead. I then tried a new dish (from NSI) and although I did waste a bit of monomer I found that I could really get stuck in with my brush and the problem got a lot better. Once I got more experienced with my bead pick up and placement, I went on to use the "dog bowl" from Creative and find that 3/4 of a pipette manages a full set with no need to refresh it. :)

The doggy bowl is perfect for the job Honey. I am sure that that is not the problem xx

It really does sound like you are working too wet. When doing a set of P&W's I tend to do all of the whites first then change my monomer to do the pink as I too find that it is harder to make a bead. I guess I should get my card back out and do some practice beads.

Thanxs i will have to find some plastic and practise

Latest posts

Back