How much pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natc

Reaction score
Hi everyone i have just been offered a new job in a salon and i was just wondering what the average pay was? i havn't worked in a salon b4 and im not too sure what the going rate was. One of the girls who already works there says that her wages have just been put up to £130 per week is this good or rubbish?

I guess it depends on area but for my area that is not very good at all. £130 per week is only £520 per month. My area pay from £12,000 per year +. I take it that is before tax as well? It really depends on what training you have, your personal situation and what the going rate is for your area. I would look into it a bit more first, because it does seem very low to me (but I could be wrong!!!)... Hope that helps.

natc said:
Hi everyone i have just been offered a new job in a salon and i was just wondering what the average pay was? i havn't worked in a salon b4 and im not too sure what the going rate was. One of the girls who already works there says that her wages have just been put up to £130 per week is this good or rubbish?

dear me thats only £3.25 per hour before tax...not very good if you ask me, think its under minimum wage...depending on her age that is...

Im 18 but i havn't got much experience iam a qualified beauty thearpist and make up artist i have also done nail extensions i really want to go for the job as it will give me experience but i dont know whether i can cope with the drop in wages as i am currently on £680 per month!

Maybe you could phone the person who offered you the job to clarify what the salary is before you accept the offer. I would have thought she/he would have given you this important information when offering the job.

You could just say that you've been thinking seriously about the offer but in the excitement of it all you can't remem ber what they told you the salary was and whether there is any bonus or commission scheme.

Just a thought.

You are right about gaining experience though and we all have to start somewhere.

Good luck.

If you are already qualified then I would not accept anything that low, especially as Fab Freak had said below minimum wage. The minimum wage was brought in to protect us (by us I mean everyone not just nail techs!), so you should certainly not be accepting anything less. What also concerns me is the girl said her wages were put up to £130 per week, so what were they before??!! You need to take pride in your work and value your skills highly and not be accepting anything less than at least minimum wage for starters. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh (really don't mean to be!) but I don't think those wages sound very fair. Have they discussed wages with you? (I'm going on a bit now..) but on offering you the job surely they would need to discuss wages with you and not expect you to turn up and hope for the best?

xx

Well i havn't had a proper interview yet! basiclly i sent my C.V out and the manager called me and asked if i would go in and do a trial nails. She wasn't actually there when i went in but two other girls that work there were. and she said that they had put her wages up to £130 per week. i dread to think what she was on! The manager called me today and asked if i could go in for a chat today, so i surpose she will be going through wages etc..with me. I really wont know what to do if she says that the pay will b less than £130.00. mabye i should wait to see what she has to say and if it is less say that i carn't afford to take the job.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

I will do. one other thing do you think it is essential to have salon experience i really want my nails and make up to get off the ground and was thinking about doing mobile in my spare time but im not sure if i need to have salon experience?? what are your opions

I think again it depends on your personal circumstances. I would love to work in a salon for more experience but I came into the nail and beauty business from a highly paid job and because of personal commitments, mortgage etc it was not possible to take a pay cut. Doing it mobile I have found I have been able to get (just about!) the same salary. I'm sure some people would say it is necessary to have salon experience but in my opinion I do not believe it is. I think it depends on the training you have received but also on what kind of person you are. For example if someone is very introvert then it may be better for them to go down the 'salon route' to gain confidence etc etc. But as I said, I would still love to work in a salon but unfortunately it is just not possible at the moment.
Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for yoyr help everyone i will let you know how it went tomorrow!

natc said:
I will do. one other thing do you think it is essential to have salon experience i really want my nails and make up to get off the ground and was thinking about doing mobile in my spare time but im not sure if i need to have salon experience?? what are your opions
Salon experience is very valuable because it is what gets the clients through your hands. You will come across all kinds of situations and there will be someone there to learn from as to how to handle things.
You are young ... to go out mobile with no experience is learning the slow way and the hard way.
Tell this person what you are making now and let her know that you cannot take less than that. It shouldn't all be one sided you know. You do have a right to say what you want too.

I have just gone to work in a salon thats newly opened, I had a few issues with regards to not getting paid commision on retail, working on other peoples acrylic, no stock in the salon. I thought long and hard about what I should do and decided to call it a day. When I told the owner that I was quitting she sat me down and asked me why. I told her that I didn't like to work on other peoples work, that she is losing money on retail due to no stock and that I feel I should be getting commission on retail. I told her that the products and services she was offering didn't really reflect the area (Posh Ladies). Because she is new to the nail business she took on board what I said and asked me not to leave, she has now asked me for my advice on what products she should be retailing, I am now getting commision on retail. I have dropped one of the services and re placed it with Creative Solar Drench which has gone down well with clients. My wages have been re-discussed and I dont have to work on other peoples acrylic work. I am so glad now that I talked over these problems as working in a salon will give me valuable experience where as going mobile I would have found it hard to find clients. I think the best thing for you is to communicate with your future employer and find out everything you need to know before you make your decision. Good luck
David

At our salon we get paid a 50% commission on everything that we do. We also have an hourly rate of $8.50/hour.....SO you get paid whichever is higher in one week.

Latest posts

Back