How much rent would/do you charge makeup artist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to rent space to a self employed makeup artist in my shop. I've found a girl and have said I will be wanting £50/week, I will give her a key so she can have access up 7 days a week (I know her so don't have any issues with trust etc) She said £50 is fine but I just want to check I'm not overcharging her. She will mainly only be able to do evenings and weekends as she has a full time job but I presume most makeup is needed weekends and evenings anyway.

Would really appreciate any advice as I'm new to renting space, thank you x

IMHO not worth the hassle for £50.

I'd be wanting £100 pw

I don't think that's over charging I think that's fine if that's the going rate in your area :) it's extra money in your pocket at the end of every week :)

It's not really extra money if the therapist is going to be opening up when you wouldn't normally be open as they will be using electric, gas & water etc.. that you wouldn't be using so make sure that whatever you decide to charge will cover these extra bills and put something in your pocket afterwards.

Thank you for all the replies. All my bills, gas, electric etc are included in my rent so her being in other days won't affect that but good point I never thought about that!

I do know that you can get a full beauty room round here for £100/week and I just thought that makeup artists don't really use any electric and it's all her own products she's using, I'm also only giving her a small space in the salon so don't want to take the mickey with what I'm asking for rent but also do want to make some money myself.

Thanks again x

My concern would be the likelihood of her actually making a living from it.
I don't know of any make-up artists who work from a base like this.
They usually work within stores, for a company like Mac, or freelance.
If she can do other services, like bridal hair, lashes, brows or nails, then that would make a difference.

If she is there in the evenings then she would be using Electric for lighting and heating she may not be using hairdryers or led lamps but she will still be running up those bills, not so bad if your bills are all accounted for with your rent BUT are you actually allowed to sub let?

If it were me I would charge her a % on makeup services she does in your salon or flat day rate £25/ £35 every time she wants to use the room and this is why:

1) freelance makeup work is unpredictable she may not use the salon for a few weeks or months and if she is having to pay £50/£100 p/w she will lose interest very quickly or may not pay you.

Even though she may be paying this money out from her day job, £50/£100 a week to pay for something you are not using adds up and is a waist of money.

2) most clients book a freelance mua so that they can come to them, so really she only needs the room for clients that don't want to her to come to them or people who book her services through you.

I would also check and get copies of her insurance in case anything happens while she working on the premise.

Hello I got a makeup artist who can work saterdays in my salon , unsure of what to charge for rent for the 1 day ???

Latest posts

Back