How much should a nail tech be making????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlystinelli

Reaction score
Hey all..... I am starting a new job at a salon tomorrow and I am getting payed $7.50 an hour plus my tips to start, thats with no clients of my own yet...... I was just wondering what everyone else makes!?! In ways I did the math in my head and its not much money after child care, gas, food, parking, etc..... WHat do you guys think??.....:rolleyes:

Hi. I just started at a salon a couple of months ago after taking some time off. I don't have my clientele base yet either (about 6 or so). When I first started I was making 50/50 commission and realized that I wasn't bringing home anything, so I asked them for $9.00 an hour if I purchase my own acrylic products. I got $9.00 an hour for a few weeks and they kept cutting down my hours so I finally asked them for 60/40 commission to ease the tension. It's tough when you first start and I am seeking a second job. Hang in there, some day you will be making $30.00 an hour or so depending on how much you charge for a fill and how fast you become.

$7.50 an hour sounds a bit short. Wages should depend on experience, quality of work and timing. If you can survive on $7.50 and hour stick it out and build your experience and clientelle. If you find you are retaining clients and making more money for the salon, ask for 50/50 commission. Some salons will pay you what ever is the most ( wage or your commission ). I have been in the industry for 15 yrs now, work for myself as a contractor and make over $40 a hour and choose my hours too. So you can make good money just hang in there.

Good Luck and have fun!

how long did it take for you to start earning more money???? I just got a job offer that I have an interview at tomorrow at an asian salon that is going to be opening soon... the salon i just started at is a hair salon that offers everything but is very small with 2 hair dressers... Do u think id have a better shot at the asian nail salon???

how long did it take for you to start earning more money???? I just got a job offer that I have an interview at tomorrow at an asian salon that is going to be opening soon... the salon i just started at is a hair salon that offers everything but is very small with 2 hair dressers... Do u think id have a better shot at the asian nail salon???

$7.50 p/h seems like a low wage, whats the minimum wage in u.s.a?
well it cant hurt to go along and find out a little more.
just make sure that your training fits in with the owners business plan.
good luck for your interview and come back to us with an update.

hey girls, happy to say I got the other job at the asian place!!!! They are starting me off at $300 a week then if i exceed that in wages Ill get what evers more...... Cant wait!

Congrats on the new job! Best of luck and let us know how you are liking it.

hey girls, happy to say I got the other job at the asian place!!!! They are starting me off at $300 a week then if i exceed that in wages Ill get what evers more...... Cant wait!

i'm so pleased for you, i hope it all works out well.
do they do things the way you have been trained, or will you have to adapt a lot of your techniques ?

I can do things the way I am used to and will be the only one doing acrylic pink and whites...... Im getting 300 a week till i make more in comission..... Hopefully it all works out cause I need the money!

I can do things the way I am used to and will be the only one doing acrylic pink and whites...... Im getting 300 a week till i make more in comission..... Hopefully it all works out cause I need the money!

fab, it sounds like a positive step forward.:green:

I'm so happy you've found a better job.
I live in Canada and and just started out as an esthetician. I'm making 9/hr, then 10/hr in two months. I still think it's pretty low considering I make no comission off product sales and tips arn't that great. I can choose to work fully off comission in six months, but it's a small spa and I dont think I'll have enough clients to do so.

I truely love this job, but it seems really tough to move up and make decent money! Any suggestions?

You could absolutely do a lot worse that $7 or $9 an hour. A lot of technicians that start out are in a booth rental situation. You are required to pay for you own products, advertising, business cards, etc... It takes time to build a solid client base in a new place and so I feel you should be thrilled that you have a steady income. I am quite sure that as you become busier you will have more power to negotiate a higher wage, but truly, be grateful for what you have been offered. Especially if it is a nice, stable environment and the team seems happy. I also feel the same way about a 50/50 commission. This is a great opportunity for someone starting in a new place. You need to take into account all the details of your business.
Good luck. Anything worthwhile takes time, dedication, and hard work.

Hey all..... I am starting a new job at a salon tomorrow and I am getting payed $7.50 an hour plus my tips to start, thats with no clients of my own yet...... I was just wondering what everyone else makes!?! In ways I did the math in my head and its not much money after child care, gas, food, parking, etc..... WHat do you guys think??.....:rolleyes:

okay. i think you guys might think this is not the way it is but....
50/50 commission would be alright, but 60/40 is what it should be. i started doing nails in my ex's sisters asian nail salon and i was getting 60/40. if you can get into one of the asian nail salons you should as a #1 opportunity for you. im sorry but the asians, especially the vietnamese have this technique of doing nails like no other. and thats the style of nails i learned for the past 4 years. my opinion would is that it takes at least 1 year to even know what a nail is suppose to look like. trust me!! after the first year i think a nail tech should be making at least 700 US dollars a week.
in october i am doing booth rental in a african-american hair salon. (100USdollars per week) and i am starting over from stratch. but i know it will be successful because ive been doing nails for 4 years and i am very familiar with every kind of nail.
i couldnt imagine working doing anything for 7.50 and hour. i think you should go out and see if the asian salons would hire you.
i dont mean to offend anyone with this.
=)

Latest posts

Back