How much should i charge ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaye101

Reaction score
Hi, starting tomorrow i am practicing various beauty treatments on my friends as im planning to go mobile very soon,

I am asking them for a donation towards the treatments but do you think i should be more specific about the price ? if so how much do you think ??

To start with i'm doing/practicing
manicures using Sitrustation
pedicures using Pedistation
facials using (mainly Strictly Proffesional) and home stuf
spray tan
waxing and massage

Please help i haven't got a clue :confused:

Kaye x

If you're practicing and going mobile soon, one would assume that you are fully qualified.
Therefore, I'd be charging them what you intend on charging paying clients when you go mobile.
You should have got plenty of practice during your course so they should be paying what you would charge a paying client.

I disagree. You say you're practicing, so I guess your not feeling really confident yet. Lots of people charge lower rates to get some practice in after qualifing. BUT if you charge lower rates make sure they know it's for a limited time. Are the products you're using professional?

Hi yes i am fully qualified, i qualified in 06 but have been unable to work till now..so im a bit rusty !!

I's day £5 for manis, pedis, £8 for facials, £10 for spray tan

Do it according to the cost of your products

You will get your confidence up in no time doing this practice run first.x xx!

Sorry Tinkywinky but I disagree with your pricing structure. To do a proper maicure takes an hour for me, longer for newbies so at £5 that's not even minimum wage.

I think though Kaye you need to charge what you feel you deserve. If your prices are too low, you won't want to bother doing the treatments as it's more hassle than anything else and you'll feel that people are taking advantage of you. You will also find it much harder to get the same people paying your full price.

huni - I know its hard but please try to avoid using 'home stuff' for your facials, I know that salon/pro products can be expensive, but try to get a range that has everything you need, all with the same branding, it will look much more professional xxx

why not say its a special offer for a month or something , then you aint telling em you feel under confident , coz sometimes people will pick up on the fact you are practising and take the pee :hug:

Hi everyone thanx for all your replies, i got £20 from my mate for doing a manicure and pedicure and £8 for a tan which is'nt too bad !!

I'm using Citrustation and Pedistation from the wholesalers and i am investing in a good facial range real soon...just don't know which one to pick !!

I'm feeling a little more confident...it's great !! got another spray tan today and a mani and pedi tomorrow.

Thanx again for your feedback...... :) kaye x

good luck hun! xx

i would agree with Dee

offer special prices for maybe a month or two and then when you feel more at ease introduce your usual prices

think about your pricing structure from now and maybe charge people half price

good luck hun

What if you charge half-price on what the prices will be when you fully qualify. So if you're mani is £20, then £10?. I agree it is a good idea to let clients know this is for a limited time only AND what your full prices will be. This will save you and them any embarrasment later on.

Prepare yourself to be working at a loss while you are doing this and probably do it for a fixed time. Two months?. You won't be able to operate at a loss for too long. (Topping-up on products can be expensive and eat all of your profit, this has happened to me before).

Can I also add, check you timings and make sure not to spend over the recommended treatment time. If you spend 2 hours doing a £10 manicure, you may feel a bit used?. I know I would. Also realizing that time is money is good, because its one way to make sure that you make a profit.:hug::hug:

Suppose it depends what Kaye is trying to achieve, which by the sounds of it is getting experience under her belt and getting confidence to a level where she feels she can charge a full amount.

It also depends on the length of treatment; for example you could offer a facial and £8 and do a mini manicure whilst the masques are on therefore making it more financially beneficial

Was just giving my opinion on suggested donations which I suppose are different from treatment prices which she will feel right charging on when the experience and confidence is there.

Hi again...yes i just need to get practicing and build my confidence up then i'll def be charging full price !!
I think i will do the special offer or half price just for a month or so

Thanx again everyone you've been a great help

Kaye :) x

don't sell yourself short you may be rusty but it won't take you long to get back on track..
make yourself a price list on your com and give it to your mates in advance that way they won't quibble about the price and you wont feel obliged to give them well below college prices let alone pro prices :)

Latest posts

Back