How much time between clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
The salon I work at we only get 5 mins to get the client out the room changed towels make bed get the new client in and consultation! It feels so rushed and so stressful, How much time do you salon owners give between each client as I'm just curious? X

The salon I work at we only get 5 mins to get the client out the room changed towels make bed get the new client in and consultation! It feels so rushed and so stressful, How much time do you salon owners give between each client as I'm just curious? X

Normally your change over should be included in the treatment time. If the facial takes 50 min to do, it is usually booked in for one hour. Salon owners like to utilize the time effectively, so 5 min is usually enough.

Ok thanks for your reply :) how bout a 55 minute massage? This is the one I struggle with the most x

Last edited:
A place where I've previously worked gives 15 mins between treatments and this gives enough time for the person to get dressed and come out and you have plenty of time to deal with everything. Personally I think 5-10mins is enough but it depends if you have other things to do like book in more appointments etc x

Normally your change over should be included in the treatment time. If the facial takes 50 min to do, it is usually booked in for one hour. Salon owners like to utilize the time effectively, so 5 min is usually enough.
Yep, any place I've ever worked in has included the 'turn-over' (for want of a better phrase! :lol:) in the treatment time. So, 15 mins for a half leg wax is 15 minutes to greet the client, get them ready, wax them, and see them out, and so on.

I'd imagine it'd mess up the book if you're booking 5-10 minutes here and there because, unless you're using a custom book, they all seem to be marked out in 15 minute increments?

On the massage side of life I like to leave about 25 minutes in between clients, so I don't have to rush clients out, we can chat as they pay up, buy retail etc.. I then write up SOAP notes, strip the room and prepare for the next client. Also gives us time to go to the loo and grab a drink.

I do the same for the skincare side really and a little less for nail clients as there is not so much to do in between but I like the girls to have a rest for a wee while too.

On the massage side of life I like to leave about 25 minutes in between clients, so I don't have to rush clients out, we can chat as they pay up, buy retail etc.. I then write up SOAP notes, strip the room and prepare for the next client. Also gives us time to go to the loo and grab a drink.

I do the same for the skincare side really and a little less for nail clients as there is not so much to do in between but I like the girls to have a rest for a wee while too.

This sounds a lot better! We're normally back to back all day so finding time to have a wee or drink will be in our half hour lunch time! I don't like having to rush the client out of a room when they've had a nice relaxing massage it just don't seem right!

I think it really depends where you work, in the spa i used to work at we changed our treatment times from 30 minutes treatments to 20 minute treatments and 60 minute treatments to 50 minute treatments just because we ALWAYS had late clients as the hotel the spa was in was in the middle of no where and it also gave the therapists time to chat to the clients, turn the room round, go to the loo and all that jazz. At another spa I work at now, the full treatment is 55 mins which I thought meant the treatment was 55 mins then 5 mins to turn round however it is 55 minutes to consult, get client in, out and turn room round, then gives us 5 mins to get water or go to the loo which is a really nice touch.

I've never worked in a salon but I've thought that salons seemed more rushed regarding clients, its literally in and out no getting to know clients and retailing and shizzle.

HTH
Leanne
X

Well i must be a slave driver, i dont let them have 5 mins to set up...and thats the truth of it. They get roughly 2mins the most.. to clean up/back to back appointments.

I make sure everyone is fitted/squeezed in. I dont tend to let anyone run over on my time, i schedule my day around 15min slots and the approx times i have given in my price list. Its more of a guide for the clients than the therapists, because i know they work quick, competent and efficiently.

Im running a business, and i make friends with all my clients as do my staff, but the guidline times are for people that may run late. Because they know they're squeezed in they dont tend to take the mick, and you still get to know your client in the allocated time frame. xoxo

Yes, this is how I work it :) xx

The first salon I ever trained in was back to back and we had to be quick. 30mins for a full manicure, 30mins for full leg+bik wax etc. So I just had to learn to be really efficient. If I knew the client was the type to faff around putting make up etc on after a facial, then I would have to cut their treatment down slightly because I knew I had to take the next lady literally straight in.

To help me be more efficient I would plan my day, and anticipate what was next. I would generally strip the bed/ change bed roll whilst my client was getting dressed so that my room was ready for the next person to come straight in,and I would make sure at the start of the day that I had everything topped up- cotton wool, spatulas, strips, full facial products etc. I had some lovely relationships with clients, but I did feel it was always a rush. We had 5 mins for lunch if we were lucky, and my bladder had to get used to holding it unfortunately (now I have problems from no food and unnaturally holding my bladder :sad:)

Anyway, the above I think was down to a bad salon owner of a huge organisation who always want to milk you of every last drop of energy!

Now I work for myself from home and make sure that clients have a relaxed time after their treatment. Usually allow 15mins between clients, but bit longer if they've had a relaxing treatment. So lovely being your own boss.

I get a 5 min turnaround.

It's not that long but if it was any longer then it would maybe feel too long.

I must also be tight. I my appointments back to back. We're rarely back to back all day tho. I am wishing for the day we are back to back al day every day :) the buzz of beign busy is great I love it.

On sunday we are open for 4 hours Im doing 3 deluxe and 2 standard microdermabrasions (we are in our 2 week trial from SkinBase). None of them are new clients so no need for a consulation and I have just cut the deluxe down to 50 mins as it was nearly impossible to make it last those extra 10 mins. I will have to arrive early tho and stay late so ill prob work 5 hours on sunday.

my therapists dont mind working back to back, but only do short ****fs

x

Now I work for myself from home and make sure that clients have a relaxed time after their treatment. Usually allow 15mins between clients, but bit longer if they've had a relaxing treatment. So lovely being your own boss.[/QUOTE]

Yes I do the same! I give 15 mins between apts which allows for chit chat with my clients etc and removes pressure if, on the odd ocassion, im running behind time (my clients like to often add an extra treatment on the spot!) and so my clients don't feel like its wham bam out you go.....next! I also enjoy a little break to refresh the room, say g'day to hubby, respond to emails or simply sit down for a bit etc. Yes it IS very lovely being your own boss! :)

Im my own boss and love it :) being an employer is a whole new kettle of fish! lol Both of my therapists are lovely, really co-operative, helpfull and understanding. I cant imagine the stress of having a not so helpfull employee :-/

Last edited:
I work as self-employed, within a salon, and am able to set my own gaps.

I think if your treatment list says, for example, that it is a 60 minute facial then that this the time spent on the client, not time on cleaning/bed setting/ taking next booking.

I have a bad habit of running over because I like the client to feel they are getting that little extra. I appreciate that's a luxury many therapists can't offer, I'm lucky.

Latest posts

Back