How much to charge as a newbie.......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi guys :D

I'd like to know how you all figured out how much to charge when you first became qualifed as nail techs. Did you offer lower prices to start with? If so by how much less than the surrounding competition? Also When did you put your prices up to the full amount?

Its really difficult when you first start out as you feel you haven't the experience to merit charging full price. On the other hand you don't want to let clients think that that is only what you are worth. You've also got the problem of trying to put your prices up if you've had them too low.

I'm not sure how to tackle this so I need some advice.

I'm being a bit premature I know as my FDFC isn't til January but I'm just trying to get myself organised so that when I'm qualified I know where I am with things.

xx Tamm

First good luck with your FDFC ........

When I first started I charged family and friends a token charge.........enough to cover my expenses and a little over , so I could buy some needed books..............

When I felt I was ready to go public, I charged the going mobile Tech rate........
Because when I felt I was ready, I was ready if you see what I mean.......

hope this helps

The fact is, when you are just starting out ... you are only worth a token amount compared to the competition ...

Ruth is right in that when you feel you are competent to handle most situations and answer client's questions factually and solve problems logically you will be ready to charge a reasonable commercial rate. Until then ... you should be less.

Every one finds it difficult to raise prices cause they think all their clients are going to bail out and leave them.

Well, some might, but most don't and the extra you are charging makes up for those who have gone.

Well love,
ones you are ready and feel you can charge more.......do it.......
If your clients like the work you do, if they think that you are brill..........
you can raise the prices.............I don't think they will object.........So far I have never lost a client because I increased my rates..............Prices go up for everything every year and so do wages....So I stay in the realms of reality.....and they stay with me..............

Well that all makes sense. :)

The fact is, when you are just starting out ... you are only worth a token amount compared to the competition ...

if a set of nails locally usually cost around the £30 mark by how much less do you think is a realistic amount to charge?

Ruth is right in that when you feel you are competent to handle most situations and answer client's questions factually and solve problems logically you will be ready to charge a reasonable commercial rate.

I know this is a daft question but how long can that take? on face value it sounds a bit daunting. At this stage I can't imagine that I will ever be that competant. I suppose it all depends on how much I can practice and how many varied problems I come across.

When I felt I was ready to go public, I charged the going mobile Tech rate........
Because when I felt I was ready, I was ready if you see what I mean.......

I know exactly what you mean Ruth. I'm a terrible perfectionist and I can see myself not wanting to go public until I know I can do it all perfectly!! Not always a good thing as it can hold me back when I should be doing things :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice both of you. Just out of curiosity Ruth, how long was it before you felt you were ready to go public?

xx Tamm

hiya tamm
with regard to eventually raising your prices;
if the going rate is £30 as you said, then set your prices at £30.
BUT.... then offer a discount for say... 6 months.
that gives you 6 mths to improve your technique & increase your speed.
i would suggest that you do your foundation course, then do your "nxt step" class (usually 1 mth later).
this class is to give you additional info on professional matters not covered in you foun. course.
also your educator will b able to track your progress & give you a good idea on how close you r to being "comercial", which is a term used to describe someone who is ready to work professionally in a salon envoiroment.
if you price yourself TOO low, you will attract the people who cannot afford to maintain their nails at the normal price. so, when you raise your prices they will b off.
by doing what i suggested about pricing at the average price, then offering a discount, hopefully you will attract people that won't run a mile when you raise your prices :shock:
good luck
lol liza xx

My hobby horse I know :) but ... please ... can you not use the word discount??

How about 'opening offer' or 'opening special' or something sounding a little classier than the word discount?? To me the word sounds so unprofessional and cheap .... I know many may not agree but it just sends out the wrong message/impression of what we are all about in my opinion.

as usual geeg you r right!
looking back at the post my choice of words wasn't one that i would use either :shock:
during the "nxt step" class we go into much more detail about the phrasing on promo leaflets & price lists.
a slip of the finger i'm afraid! :oops:
lol liza xx

if the going rate is £30 as you said, then set your prices at £30.
BUT.... then offer a discount for say... 6 months.
that gives you 6 mths to improve your technique & increase your speed.

I like the sound of that but as Geeg says using the expression 'opening offer' sounds more upmarket and classy. At least people will see how much I will charge once I've got more experience and perfected my technique.

If the going rate is £30 do you think offering 25% off (£22.50) as an introductory offer for 6 months would be fair both for myself and my client. I obviously don't want to charge the earth as a newbie but I don't want to sell myself too short either. Or do you think I should charge less?

Sorry to be a pain.

Tamm

That sounds a reasonable figure to me. The cost of your product will be about 3.50 ish so the rest is for your time.

Thanks thats great! I just needed to know from someone who knew their stuff :goal:

That makes me feel alot better. At first I was thinking I was still gonna be charging too much but maybe not eh!! lol

Your the best Geeg thanks.

xx Tamm

Hi,
The opening offer idea was given to me when I started and worked very well. I made sure that I put the normal price right next to the opening offer price fom the start, that way it did not come as a major price rise when I discontinued the opening offer. I found it helpful not to specify a time, that way you could revert to the £30 as soon as you are ready or leave it a little longer if business is abit slow.

Lynda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back