How much to charge? Mates Rates!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherubs

Reaction score
A friend has asked me to do some nail art on her nails and a fench polish with nail art on her toes, thing is I don't know how much to charge her? I would have said nothing but I think she knows this and this is why she asks :rolleyes: I didn't charge her last time I did them but I don't want to make a habit of this, obviously I don't want to charge her loads but I need to make something back! after all it is my time and products.

Thanks guys

Hi, if I was you I would charge her something, even if it just to cover your products. You need to start as you mean to go on, otherwise people will take advantage.

I would also tell her this before you do her nails hun so there isn't an akward situation regarding payment once you have done them.

hth :)

I don't do mates rates...everyone pays the same. Its my job, my living.

I used to but it got confusing as some are mates...others are mates of mates and some are other half's of Robs mates...where does it all end.

Non of these people would be expected to go to work..use there own stuff and do it for nothing...ask em if they would...i bet they say NO.

I try to have a fixed rate for certain things (probably too small) and if I do a freebie once - I tell them what it will be next time. In your case this time I'd probably do it free again and make it clear what it'll be next time.

No cheapy or freebie gets a fixed appointment time, they have to fit around me and I make this very clear. If they want a specific time they have to book and pay full rate.

This works for me, nobody gets offended and it is clear all round. HTH

Last edited:
Thanks, she's supposed to be coming today but we didn't set a time and I know she's having her hair done at 3, i've got to go out now, hopefully she wont ring!! :)

If you are a trained nail tech with insurance then you should not, IMO be offering 'mates rates'. If you wish to be taken seriously as a therapist in the nail industry then I suggest you charge normal rates for your friend.

What you do for one friend, others may wish for you to do the same for them too. How are you going to earn a living doing this?

i dread this situation! i have quite a few very close mates that have been for years and i know they will all expect their nails to be done totally free...and to be honest i would feel so much more comfortable not charging, and if there was only one or two it wouldnt be so bad...but i have 7 very close friends plus a few very close family members...so thats quite a few people to be giving freebies to...yet i dont possibly know how i would ask them to pay! ive even thought about say to them that i wont charge them on the provision that i get business through it...i.e...they be my walking adverts! ifykwim!
Its such a difficult and awkward situation and im dreading it..its ok now but once im qualified and started actually working its not gonna be so ok!

Mate...how cool you do nails...can you do mine then

You..sure i can, its £xx and as your a mate i will even put some gems on for free if you want.

its that easy .....if they don't like it then 1) they don't have them done and 2) they aint much of a mate.

You..sure i can, its £xx and as your a mate i will even put some gems on for free if you want.

its that easy .....if they don't like it then 1) they don't have them done and 2) they aint much of a mate.

He he, how true! And how long it took me to have the guts to say it! Coz it never ends and it never ends well. I did free stuff for 'friends' and they sent me their 'friends' who expected it for free or some discount :?:. So I did some of them once and said, this one is on me, as it usually costs xy. Some of them said, well ofcourse, I like this so much I'll come again, and then they don't, or suddenly 'Mari's nails are no good' :eek: So I do free nails only to my one best friend and my aunt. And that's it. And they know how much I pay for my products.

I have one client that I do mates rates for, my standard rate is $55 per hour, I charge her $45, I also offer discount to some clients that I know are in a situation to send me clients, I offer them $5 off their next appointment for every client they send me.

Rates for mates is quite a good idea (some may disagree with me), but keep in mind what some people do for a living, sometime in the future they may also offer you a discount on what they do, or what they provide.

5% off nails is nothing really, compared to someone giving you 5% off a car, 5% off carpet, 5% off a haircut, 5% off your new curtains etc.

Be careful where you decide to be staunch, it may come back and bite you in the A_S_S sometime.

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND, I SCRATCH YOUR BACK, YOU SCRATCH MINE, BLAH, BLAH BLAH.

Only yesterday I spend 2 hours with a geek from here, did her nails, showed her a few tricks of the trade and hugely discounted her service ....... even though I didn't know her, she came all the way from the UK, hunted me down and I considered her a mate (I also considered her a guest in both my salon and my country).

It was also my most enjoyable appointment of the week, it was like a mutual respect and appreciation.

I run a business first and foremost, but I'm not a miserable git either.

I've been in the nail business for over 22 years and I know when a discount is worthy.

Last edited:
I think giving a percentage off your usual prices are a good idea.Dont get into doing anything too cheap for anyone.Its still your time and your supplies.

Only yesterday I spend 2 hours with a geek from here, did her nails, showed her a few tricks of the trade and hugely discounted her service ....... even though I didn't know her, she came all the way from the UK, hunted me down and I considered her a mate (I also considered her a guest in both my salon and my country).

It was also my most enjoyable appointment of the week, it was like a mutual respect and appreciation.

I run a business first and foremost, but I'm not a miserable git either.

I've been in the nail business for over 22 years and I know when a discount is worthy.
In a situation like this Carl, I can see where you are coming from. But you are not likely to see this person again in a long while and your big discount is not likely to happen again until you see this peep again in the future. It's not like it is going to be a regular occurrence.

I am quite happy to scratch backs and do favours but personally think it needs to be kept separate from business IYKWIM.

Very diplomatic Angie. This is what I would do.

TBH, you are all sounding quite miserable and inflexible.

I understand there is a line, but than line can be moved.

It's really up to YOU how generous or how miserable you want to be, use your own discretion.

Last edited:

It's really up to YOU how generous or how miserable you want to be, use your own discretion.

:lol:...so if your not generous your miserable...?? bit of a sweeping statement isn't it.

What about its up to YOU how gullible or how sensible you want to be ...:green:

I ain't saying anyone is gullible or miserable....who am i to judge. Just that for me its easier and more straight forward to just have everyone pay the same.

I have also had a geek to my house and did her nails...I never charged her a penny...becouse....she wasn't a client...she has done the same for me too.

But mates often want the nails for keeps (infill's) and so become a client as well as a mate...there is no way i would keep infilling every 3-4 weeks at a discount.

When i started out i did a mate for less....then i got phone calls asking for apts...and when i told them the price they would say "ohhh Jo said it was only ££".....it just makes things confusing and difficult when the time comes that you might not want to continue the mate rate.

So i ain't miserable at all....:) i do other things for my mates....free gems...the odd free repair...nail oil at wholesale price....but full sets and infills...they all pay the same.

Nobody else here is trying to have a go at anybody Carl. A geek asked advice and we are trying to offer it constructively. We are allowed opinions. Does not make us miserable though or scroogey.

Your comments above are not called for! Moving swiftly on ...........

ooohh...i'm glad i clicked on this thread as i've had 4 of my close mates asking me regarding nails....after reading this i think i do some mates rates on treatments ...don't want to look like i'm a descendent of SCROOGE!!:eek:

:hug:Do you know what from personal experience I wouldnt do mates rates. Did it with hair and it got completely rediculouse everyone I new has it done,it was my own fault. With nails I have 2 girls who I have practiced on through college and thats it. They are regular. Not talking ANY clients atall untill im up and running properly. I have done other girls at college but I mad this clear that I would soak them off and they all picked them off and im not doing them again!!!!! Know that sound a bit harsh but seriously with the hair it got totally out of hand!!!! Hope this helps xxxx

Nobody else here is trying to have a go at anybody Carl. A geek asked advice and we are trying to offer it constructively. We are allowed opinions. Does not make us miserable though or scroogey.

Your comments above are not called for! Moving swiftly on ...........

I'm not having a go either, I did mention the word "Generous" in my post also, but you seem to prefer to latch onto the word "miserable", it goes to show how positive people are as to what word they "choose" to focus on. Take whatever word you want.

We are all free to run our busines as we see fit and I'm sure the original poster will be interested to see different responses to her question ...... EVEN MINE.

Last edited:
:confused:worried about that to ..as sarah said it gets out of hand and ridiculous ....as im a newbie it's all sound advice but i don't want to end up out of pocket.:eek:

Latest posts

Back