How much to pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimo9

Reaction score
Can any geeks help me with how much to pay a new member of staff. She is 18, almost 19, and newly qualified in NVQ Level 2 and 3 Beauty Therapy (I think...interviewing her tomorrow so need to double check). Not sure how many hours a week we will need her yet but just wanted an idea of an hourly rate. Happy to increase it when I know that she is good enough etc but was thinking around £6.50 - £7 per hour for now. Is that too low?

The majority of salons around me tend to all start on minimum wage (unfortunately). I'd be chuffed to be on £6.50-£7 at 18!

Maybe see what other salons in your area advertise as their pay if you're worried about it being too low?

Hi,
I have a 19 yr old part time therapist who has about a years experience, she was on £5.35 an hour. I pay her £6.50 an hour.
Hope your interviews go well x

What's minimum wage? Most places start on this, that's the reason I went mobile, I'd been on above £7.50 from the age of 17 so to be told I would be on £6 something was an insult, I always put £9 a hour as expected rate of pay if forms ask for a idea what you want, one place said I must be one of the rudest people ever on a form for asking so much lol.

To be honest if I had my own salon I would do minimum wage for the first 6 months which would be a probationary period and if they are still there after that time their pay would be reviewed and increased depending on the quality and speed of work they had produced as an average over that period, I think that's a fair way of doing it.

That way you can reward the new person for working well by a pay increase after their first 6 month xoxo

How about paying min wage onus commission on treatments !!?? X

Thank you all for helping! I pay my other part timers £6 per hour who are not qualified and who just do general reception duties etc! Felt that I should pay more but agree that I should do some kind of probationary period first. I do think that minimum wage is a bit of an insult if I'm honest so it's a tricky one!! I'll keep you posted. x

Standard trial period is 3 months but you need to put it in your contract with her. At the end of the 3 months if you fail to do a review and either extend her term or let her go then you will have employed her by default... so get your contract right!

Why don't you do a basic low wage with a commission scheme? I do this, and my girls can easily earn up to another 25% of their wages on commission alone!! They are very happy with this agreement, and it keeps them motivated to rebook clients, and sell stock for the business :lol:

Hth? Xx

Latest posts

Back