How much wetter is OPI Clarite to usual acrylics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amirose

Reaction score
Hiya,

Im training at my local college and we are using OPI Clarite Acrylic because its odourless. Now its been explained that you work wetter with Clarite than usual acrylics but man it seems TOO wet!!! I know Im doing nothing seriously wrong anymore as they are not turning yellow and tutour seems happy. It was my 4th attempt last night and I managed to do a full set in an hour and 20 minutes - but I HATE it!!!! :lol:

So here my reel of questions

1. Is Clartite a lot wetter than usual acrylics I mean this stuff actually runs!

2. When picking up a bead should your beads be exactly the same every time in consitenacy or is this something that will come with experince?

3. How do you experinced acrylic techs find Clarite - my tutour said its ONE of the hardest systems to master?

4. Have any of you been able to do something - HATED IT then learnt to love it? :lol:

I have been doing Gel which Im starting to really get my confidence in and enjoy but I hate the inconstinecy of Acrylic. :sad:

Ami

most odourless acrylics work MUCH DRYER, the chemical reaction starts immediately and the dry application turns wetter

Nailzoo

Ok well hopefully Im not sounding comepletley thick here as I am still training and have only ever used to Clarite.

So is acrylic meant to be runny? I always thought it was firm. Im assuming I must still be working too wet then :irked:

So does anyone know why OPI Clarite is harder to master?

Ami

nuthin is meant to be "runny", the runniest consistency would be gel, but they have various viscosities now. Odorless has a quite different chemical reaction to other products, it starts off quite dry, then does it's own thing.

You also need a different brush for odorless, a brush that has little "body", so it doesn't hold much liquid, many prefer a longer bristled flat brush (longer than a gel brush) but in sable, or a short bristled cats-tongue.

More importantly than any advise I can give is ....... follow the manufacturers instructions.

And don't assume because you know one method,or product, you can know another.

Clarite, or any other odorless system is not difficult to master, it is "different" to master, particularly if you are used to a standard acrylic sytems ratio.

It's all about ratio, education .... and of course the quality of that education.

Hi Nailzoo

Not sure if I have given you the wrong impression or something but I am doing an NVQ level 3 course at my local college. Im not just a gel tech messing around with acrylic :irked:

Im using everything provided by the college including a OPI russian kolinski natural red sable brush - wouldnt dream of using my gel brush.

Not to worry I can ask my tutour after the christmas break.

I mainly posted because I wanted to understad the diffrence between OPI Clarite and other acrylics. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to 'word' my questions correctly however Im still learning !!! :lol:

Ami

Hiya,

Im training at my local college and we are using OPI Clarite Acrylic because its odourless. Now its been explained that you work wetter with Clarite than usual acrylics but man it seems TOO wet!!! I know Im doing nothing seriously wrong anymore as they are not turning yellow and tutour seems happy. It was my 4th attempt last night and I managed to do a full set in an hour and 20 minutes - but I HATE it!!!! :lol:

So here my reel of questions

1. Is Clartite a lot wetter than usual acrylics I mean this stuff actually runs! Can't say, sorry, don't use Clarite. (Wouldn't have thought it would be actually runny though, how can you control it?)

2. When picking up a bead should your beads be exactly the same every time in consitenacy or is this something that will come with experince? You should aim for consistency but it does, very definitely, come with experience!

3. How do you experinced acrylic techs find Clarite - my tutour said its ONE of the hardest systems to master? Again can't answer - but good luck anyway

4. Have any of you been able to do something - HATED IT then learnt to love it? :lol: Yes I hated l&p when I first started learning it after doing gel. Now I LOVE it, I find it easy now, and although I still love gel, I find l&p acrylic suits more of my client base and now work more with that than anything else.

I have been doing Gel which Im starting to really get my confidence in and enjoy but I hate the inconstinecy of Acrylic. :sad:

Ami

Good luck Amy, I found it really tricky at first, especially after doing gel, because the application is so very different. I made the mistake of making my beads too wet at first so I could manoevre the l&p around more easily (like gel - oopsy). Your trainer should be able to put you right. Good luck! :hug:

Hi Nailzoo

Not sure if I have given you the wrong impression or something but I am doing an NVQ level 3 course at my local college. Im not just a gel tech messing around with acrylic :irked:

Im using everything provided by the college including a OPI russian kolinski natural red sable brush - wouldnt dream of using my gel brush.

Not to worry I can ask my tutour after the christmas break.

I mainly posted because I wanted to understand the difference between OPI Clarite and other acrylics. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to 'word' my questions correctly however Im still learning !!! :lol:

Ami

I understood, i was just mentioning gel as the runniest consistency of all, they are all different, but odorless applies kinda similar to normal acrylic, but it starts off dryer, then goes wet, thats why ratios are important, you have to judge what it's gonna be like in a minute, rather than see what it's like when you pick it up, you worded it just fine.

Latest posts

Back