How often do you have a 'no show'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many 'no shows' do you get?

• Never had a no show

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Only ever had one or two

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Get a 'no show' on the odd occasion

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • At least once a week

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Am plagued by 'no shows' all the time!

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

Zingara

Reaction score
In the last 2 days, I've had 1 client cancel 5 minutes after her allotted appointment time, 1 no show altogether, and one turn up 40 minutes late for a 1hr appointment....only after I rang her to find out where she was, and she guiltily turned up. She then admitted that she just got really busy and didn't plan to come, but never thought to let me know.

Now this never used to happen to me....but I guess as I get busier, then there will inevitably be more of it.

Interested to know what percentage of your clients are 'no shows'? And what you all do to reduce the amount?

u are gonna have days like this, think ur'l struggling to change what people are like. i always advise them if they need to cancel to give me as much notice as possible as im fully booked and can fit someone else in rather then turn them away.

if its a regular who you know has a habit of turning up a day late etc etc. i ring them in the morning to remind them, seems to be working so far for me, then at least if they say "oh i cant make it i forgot, got something else on" ..and u get a walk-in u can fit them in, it will also allow u to call a client who is after an appointment u didn't have. that way ur still busy and the client who truely want the appointment gets it, win win.

For me they have recently tended to be new full sets that have been in the book for a couple of weeks.....probably had their nails done somewhere else in the mean time and didn't bother to cancel me!

Mr regulars are great, it's the new clients we need to look out for, send reminders for appointments a couple of days before and always remember to take a phone number......and isn't it always the way that the no show is the one you forgot to take a number for!

ive only had them a few times but that was before i introduced my text service where I text the day before to make sure everything is ok and letting them know there appointment time etc.

since i have introduced this havent had a problem at all. in fact my clients love it and always text back thanking me.

I do text most of my clients each morning, but the one who was a total no show, no meassge, first thing this afternoon, only rang this morning to see if I could fit her in for a manicure! So she can't say she forgot!

And I pulled out of my lunchtime gym visit so I could fit her in. I've just left a uber-polite message on her answering machine asking her to ring me and explain as I cancelled personal arrangements to fit her in.

Grrr! It's rude! Thats what it is! My next lady better turn up or it'll be murder in North Wales!

Fortunately, I don't often get no-shows. If someone shows up very late, I explain that their alloted time is reduced accordingly but that I will do my best in the time I have. I telephone new clients the day before their scheduled appointment to ensure that they still want the slot. On the odd occasion, you can have a busy day lined up only for it all to end up quite quiet due to late cancellations or reschedules. But the opposite also happens to in that what I expect to be a very quiet day can turn out hectic due to last minute bookings. !

It is a casualty of our industry.

Well, I'm very pleased to say that todays complete no show has just called me, with abject apologies, explained that she is Coastguard and was called out on an emergency this afternoon, and says she totally appreciates its not acceptable, but she didn't have my number on her to call. I checked the local news and the incident she was called to was genuine.

She even offered to pay....but I suggested that if she re-booked I would be happy with that, so she has booked for next week and given me her mobile number and word.

TBH, if she was a messer I don't think she'd have called back! I'm happier now.

Hiya, I've only been going for about 4 weeks, and in that time I've only had one no-show for a spray tan last week. The salon booked it for me and.............. didn't take a phone number! So I couldn't call her as I didn't even know who she was :rolleyes:

I do take phone numbers (most times :) unless I forget!) and I do text the day or two before just saying 'Just a quick text to confirm your [insert treatment here] appointment on [insert day here] at [insert time here]'

Usually works and they either text or call me back to let me know if they are coming or not, or indeed if they have decided to change their treatment as one girl did today when I sent a text reminder. She was booked in for 2 wax treatments & a lash tint, but now is just having the lash tint. I think had I not contacted her she wouldn't have shown, or would've said to me at the time of the appointment that she wasn't having the waxing.

xx

I get the odd no-show, probably averages out at one a month. To be honest, you can ring then to remind them, take deposits, but no matter how many little tricks you use to minimise your no shows, you will still always get them. Some people are just inconsiderate and you wont stop these people from doing as they please. Last week I had a no-show for which I had turned away a walk in client an hour previously, and today I had two people booked in for hollywood toes who sauntered in half an hour late as if there was nothing wrong with it. Someone had tried to book for a file and polish at the time they were due in, and had I known they were going to be so late I could have accommodated her, but instead I had to turn her away.

I have a very simple policy now. No shows pay for the appointment they missed in full. If they dont pay, they dont get future appointments. I leave my appointments free for reliable clients, there's no point re-booking people who are going to let you down and make you turn business away because your book is full. I agree there are times when people are genuine and these people should be given the benefit of the doubt, but these ones are in the minority.

I don't get them very often and I usually have a 'feeling' about them! My regulars are fab but occasionally new clients will no-show. Tbh, I tend to txt a reminder to new clients and that weeds them out, although I have turned up on the doorstep to find no-one in before......

I sent one an invoice for my time this week, details in my blog!!

I had a couple of no shows this week (one did call later and let me know her sister had just given birth!) and three no shows in the past month. I have been mobile for about 2 years now and this is the first time that I have had this.

All were new clients and have now been blacklisted - with the exception of the birthing partner of course!

I have also introduced a deposit system for new clients. My regulars have never let me down.

I've had only one no show and I'm still mad about it now. The sheer rudeness is almost too much for me to bear and I really have to stop myself from ringing her and telling her what I think!

I don't get them very often and I usually have a 'feeling' about them!

I know exactly what you mean! Isnt it funny how we seem to have bad client radar?!

mmmm Sawyer... Vetty you almost made me lose my concentration LOL

From a clients perspective (well any decent person really!), I think it's absolutely rude to just not show up. If I make an appointment, I'm there. period.

i`ve only ever had a couple and they turned out to be mis-understandings rather than no shows. I know most of my clients really well so they always give me ntice if they cant make it

So far it's still only been one, and it still annoys the heck out of me!

I have one or two and they always seem to come in a short space of time so it feels like you are having more. I had one persistent no show tanning client and now I will only make her an appointment if she brings a deposit. She doesn't come that often (probably due to my demand of a deposit) but when she can't get in any where else she comes to me again. She is such a nice lady too... just got a memory like a sieve I think.

I also text my clients now and its quite rare that they don't show.

I do have one or two clients however that will cancel with only 30mins to go for their appointment and that bugs the hell out of me.

Since working from home I only have had 1, but when I was at the salon I had a few more.

Some weeks we used to get a lot of no-shows. Then I introduced our cancellation policy which is adhered to & that's really cut down on them.

Their 1st no show they get a warning, which is noted on their record card. Any more n/s they get charged.

We may have lost 1 or 2 clients but at least we don't get messed around anymore by them. Some clients were an absolute nightmare - they can be unreliable elsewhere :)

I get them occassionally.
Last week I had 2 cancel on me well within my 24 hour policy, I emailed them both and thanked them for letting me know in plenty of time and that if their was a problem could I help them with it. I haven't heard from either.

I know one of them, her husband's been made redundant so I've been expecting her to stop her appointments, the other one was relatively new so don't know whats going on.

I do text new clients, but it depends what contact details the receptionists have taken for me.

Latest posts

Back