How often do you re-Bob?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you change your brush?

• Every millenium

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • When the hair count gets below 5

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • After 12 months

Votes: 52 16.6%
  • Between 6-12 months

Votes: 110 35.1%
  • Between 3-6 months

Votes: 95 30.4%
  • Ever day becuase Im rich

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters
:sad: ....I was told at college to dip my brush into Brush Cleaning fluid (famous brand) and gently wipe and repear then wash brush with mild soap...yesterday brush got ill, turned plastic container yellow, brush looking v.sad....but nearly as sad as me...£30 of brush b****ed...

why do they make manufacturers make this stuff if it's clearly so bad for brushes? Would love to know the answer? Geek could you offer a response :|

In school we used CND exclusively AND we were taught to clean our brush in acetone! Yikes. It wasn't till I got out of school and on the 'net that I found out you clean it in monomer. Needless to say, my original "Larva" is no longer with us..... :sad:

Laura

The Nail Geek said:
Sorry to lead this off topic... but had to say "brilliant". Many state boards in the US require this and it is a breath of fresh air to see youtah not.

*back on topic*

Anyhooo... do tell... what was the answer regarding the brush cleaning.
I'm from the US, and in Pennsylvania, we too were not allowed to use the nippers Nor were we allowed to use it in school. I just assumed it was a universal law...Guess there are some places that do that for licenses. I'm thinking maybe they should allow this, because, if your cutting something your not suppose to, should you be a practicing tech?....hmmmm would make a good poll LOL
Margie

ps....oh yea....just got a new brush, cuz dummy me used the brush cleaner, and it destroyed my brush! WHat was I thinking? After 4 years i never used a brush cleaner, and for some reason, i purchased some thinking hmmmm....maybe they sell this for a reason and i should be using it. Silly me
My brushes name is My brush lol

How often do i change my brush?

At present you seem to get so many differences of opinion its really hard to say. I would love someone to just give me one straight answer. It seems everyone is taught in different ways (so which way is right) if anyone one else is confused great cause i'm not the only one. Surely such things like how to clean your brush should be standard procedure on how we are taught, especially when you're paying someone to teach you the correct procedures. And why do they sell brush cleaning fluids if not really needed?

Shelley:|

I clean my brush in a cheep momoner that I got on e-bay.

Does it matter what type of momomer is used to clean a brush also what does cleaning a brush in brush cleaned do?

yup... to avoid cross contamination... clean your brush out in the same brand of monomer you use ;)

Must admit I had not realized that one is suposed to clean with monomer, until coming on this site, we were taught to use brush cleaner, well this was back in 96 when I was training but did not go right threw, when doing proper course last year (not CND unfortunatly) the tutors at this course did not even mention cleaning the brushes, and looking at all my reference information there is not referal in there either, so one would probably hazard a guess at how you would clean the brush if not for this site.

I would like to ask how others clean there Gel brushes also, I usualy wipe mine with a bit of non acetone remover and then pop the cover over, seams to be ok, well until you get it over the wooden handle, seems to melt that bit lol.

I think this site should become compulsery for all nail tech's, as it is so helpful and then perhaps there would be less errors in the nail world hey. :lol:

Grace x

You can clean your gel brushes in acetone, brush cleaner, or something like ScrubFresh as they are synthetic hairs so they wont freak like Kolinsky Sable. :D

The Nail Geek said:
You can clean your gel brushes in acetone, brush cleaner, or something like ScrubFresh as they are synthetic hairs so they wont freak like Kolinsky Sable. :D
Oh lordy lordy I'm getting puzzled now (OK nothing new there :lol: )

Replacing "to be named" isn't an issue for me yet as "to be named" is only a month old but if I don't get this sorted I may be doing it more often than I would like :| .

I've been taught to clean my BioScupture brush with the Sterilizer (made of Isopropyl alcohol & water) which I assume is similar to scrub fresh BUT my brush is sable (well thats what it says in the BioSculpture literature).

Help!! :confused:

Karen

Hey Whats Up ?i Prefer To Change My Brush Head Every 6 Months Or So...not Because Im Rich Or Anything ,i Just Feel More Comfortable Doing This.like Sammy I Prefer That Crisp Edge From A New Head.my Master Series Brush Does Have A Name ......little Guru! Lol
Nice Thread Sammy.

Well blow me!!!

I went on a 'very extensive' (not) 2 day course at a local cash and carry (hide with humiliation).

Since that fated day (THE september 11th coincidentally) I have practised and practised and about a year after the professional training i realised what i was taught was s**t. I was not even told I needed to clean my brush "just wipe it off on some old kitchen roll" Ha Ha.

So I soon went through the old brushes to quick to name 'em. Now I use gel and I am a happy bunny. I still have two of the old brushes I will name them dolly - after the weird and woolly sheep and kevin as in keegan with a perm. Now I must go and apologise to my old brushes kevin and dolly.

ps I did find out from a separate source that you should use monomer to clean brushes - it is the only decent thing to do - and also on this very site geeg advises to use wipe off solution to clean gel brushes.

mt brush is perfect and av been using it for 2 years - no hair loss, no clogging etc its brill - its an opi golden oval - you pay abit more but they are worth it

The Nail Geek said:
I was in discussion with someone the other day about some problems they were having with some discolourisation.
I suspected the culprit in the 80's styled florescent colouring of their product had to do with a brush that should have had 'Do not resuscitate' stamped along its ferrule.
She popped in with the knackered brush that was hooked up to a mobile oxygen tank and my suspicions were proved correct.

Along side of a bad case of alopecia areata that Rogaine couldn’t touch... it had looked like it had been given a bad perm by a construction worker.

How long had she had this brush for? It seems she had actually purchased it the very same day Moses parted the red sea.

To top it all off with...

She didn’t even have a name for it. :shocker:

I feel that this was half the problem. If it didn’t have a name... how could it be put down for a final rest with a blank tombstone?

I advised:
1. Get a new brush
2. Name it
3. Love
4. Stop washing it in brush cleaners

We then held a proper procession and laid it down to rest. Its duty had been more than fulfilled. It was time to go to the great Kolinsky in the sky.
We christened it 'Mo' and laid it to rest.

So... how often do you change your ____________ ? (fill in the blank with your brushes name)

tooooooooodles

Although I don't use brush cleaner, I do use acetone. Is acetone really that bad for the hairs?? Also...I just toss my brush in with my other nail supplies,:o in no particular order...and when product gets stuck in the hairs...I-I-I snip it off with scissors ...:eek: What a horrible thing to do to a brush, I know.
Seriously, I thought that cleaning in monomer would just help the product stick, my thinking was that if acetone soaks off enhancements, it must be fine to clean my brush in as well...
...boy do I feel misguided...:cry:

...and I haven't named it yet, although Tweety sounds good.:D

I only got my new brush when I did my CND conversion in November last year and I already knew to clean in monomer, lay horizontal, wrap in tissue etc but I have noticed that at the end of the service when i am cleaning it I do get some neon colour on the tissue :cry: What could I have done to cause this? and does that mean that the brush needs to be replaced? :eek:

By the way, I didnt have a name for my brush, but I have now decided to call him ..... Bazil....BOOM BOOM!!! :D

I do change mine every 3-6 months as i do use it alot, i never ever use brush cleaner and if i have ever got some product stuck in my brush then i stick it to a wall with blue tac and so the brush just dangles in monomer!!!

Yellowing usually down to contamination in the ferule, leave it to soak in monomer for an hour or two. It should come out. Thats if its a pretty new brush an not one which is 10yrs old:eek:

Snipping the brisstles off:cry: Noooooo way, ok if you wanna completely ruin yer brush!!!!

Amanda

I am still on my first brush, and bruce lives hairs down in a pot (like a pen). There is a small hole in the lid to allow any excess monomer to drain from the hairs. Much better place for old brucey to live.

I changed my brush after 3 months wih my first one. It got contaminated after as I don't think it was cleaned very well.:cry: Unfortunately, that ones spirit will never rest, as I threw it in the bin. :evil: ME!!! Oh, dear, plus I never named him!!

I was desperate and must confess that I bought a cheap and really nasty brush from a beauty supplies. I tried using it and was not impressed. That poor mungrel never deserved a name anyway. It got sent back to be put down.

Then I bought the CND master series pro styler. Louurvely!! It had lasted me so far and is still leaving pure coloured enhancements. I only ever use monomer and store it horizontely in a little black 'coffin' with tissue wrapped around it. I love my brush dearly, but unfortunately I have not named him. I feel so guilty now, I didn't know we were supposed to do this.

Nobody ever told me in training. Can we add this to any future notes so that no new nail techs make this very same mistake? ...Just an idea!! Maybe on the exam aswell.

I'm going to call mine Robbie. Just a name that springs to mind when I think of someone I love. Sorry Pete (my husband).

I have to say i was always taught to clean in monomer only which was good. Plus i was always taught to get a plastic pippet and snip the thin bit off and use the large part to store my brush in, therefore stopping it getting covered in dust.

In my learning stage though i did the most horrid thing.....i let someone else use my brush....!!!!!!!! NEVER let anyone else use your brush!!!

Mine was ruined. The next time i used it, it was clogged up and not useable. Not too bad when you don't pay alot for brushes, but now i have my EZ Flow 508, there's no way anyone is ever getting their hands on mine!!

Ellen, (my brush) is lovely and worth the extra money that i paid for her. I think its worth paying more for something, that lets face it, is the reason you earn money in a sense. Look after your brush and she will look after you.

I always store mine with her cover on, in a brush down position in a slot in the side of my box. So she's vertical, protected and always secure. I have had Ellen for 6 months, and would say she will go on for another 6 as long as i look after her. I voted over 12 months to replace my brush, but i would say replace it when its either losing bristkes or gets contaminated.

If it ain't broke, then don't need fixing.

I call mine Bazil!!
Jules:biggrin:
The Nail Geek said:
I was in discussion with someone the other day about some problems they were having with some discolourisation.
I suspected the culprit in the 80's styled florescent colouring of their product had to do with a brush that should have had 'Do not resuscitate' stamped along its ferrule.
She popped in with the knackered brush that was hooked up to a mobile oxygen tank and my suspicions were proved correct.

Along side of a bad case of alopecia areata that Rogaine couldn’t touch... it had looked like it had been given a bad perm by a construction worker.

How long had she had this brush for? It seems she had actually purchased it the very same day Moses parted the red sea.

To top it all off with...

She didn’t even have a name for it. :shocker:

I feel that this was half the problem. If it didn’t have a name... how could it be put down for a final rest with a blank tombstone?

I advised:
1. Get a new brush
2. Name it
3. Love
4. Stop washing it in brush cleaners

We then held a proper procession and laid it down to rest. Its duty had been more than fulfilled. It was time to go to the great Kolinsky in the sky.
We christened it 'Mo' and laid it to rest.

So... how often do you change your ____________ ? (fill in the blank with your brushes name)

tooooooooodles

I just got my brush in my Creative kit from college last Saturday - I'm going to call him Basil - i thought that was clever until about seventeen other people said their's was called that too! xxx

Latest posts

Back