How often do you re-Bob?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you change your brush?

• Every millenium

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • When the hair count gets below 5

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • After 12 months

Votes: 52 16.6%
  • Between 6-12 months

Votes: 110 35.1%
  • Between 3-6 months

Votes: 95 30.4%
  • Ever day becuase Im rich

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters
naaa... if your brush isnt losing its hair and your not having problems with contamination... then you are doing it right!
No need to ever change your brush if your not really having probs.
I change mine between 3-6 months as I love a strong *snap* to my Bob.

Tooooooooodles

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I was in discussion with someone the other day about some problems they were having with some discolourisation.
I suspected the culprit in the 80's styled florescent colouring of their product had to do with a brush that should have had 'Do not resuscitate' stamped along its ferrule.
She popped in with the knackered brush that was hooked up to a mobile oxygen tank and my suspicions were proved correct.

Along side of a bad case of alopecia areata that Rogaine couldn’t touch... it had looked like it had been given a bad perm by a construction worker.

How long had she had this brush for? It seems she had actually purchased it the very same day Moses parted the red sea.

To top it all off with...

She didn’t even have a name for it. :shocker:

I feel that this was half the problem. If it didn’t have a name... how could it be put down for a final rest with a blank tombstone?

I advised:
1. Get a new brush
2. Name it
3. Love
4. Stop washing it in brush cleaners

We then held a proper procession and laid it down to rest. Its duty had been more than fulfilled. It was time to go to the great Kolinsky in the sky.
We christened it 'Mo' and laid it to rest.

So... how often do you change your ____________ ? (fill in the blank with your brushes name)

tooooooooodles

Ok, maybe I am doing something really right or really wrong, but I can't beleive that most change brushes every 3 to 6 months! I have been using a brush for over 2 years! :shock: I baby my"Baby" She is only washed in monomer and sleeps in a nice pencil box during down times. I have two other brushes that I use also, but not as often. I never have any problems with yellowing so I assume she is not contaminated. Am I just fooling myself and do I really need to change that often?? :?:

Old subject but new entertaining twist! lol

You know what, I am always surprised when "brush cleaner" is sold for acrylic brushes. I thought that it was common knowledge that you only clean with monomer. Have I just been conditioned by CND? Or do other companies recommend monomer as well? And who is telling these poor unsuspecting nail techs to clean their brush in "brush cleaner" ? Isn't it acetone?

Most non CND techs clean with acetone or brush cleaners and are unaware of the damaging effect it has on brushes. Why? Many companies actually sell brush cleaners. And yup... it’s mostly acetone or derivative thereof :)

toooodels

Hello everybody, or just those that deign to read my ramblings,

I was advised to change my brush every 3-4 months and also to keep it horizontal.

I didn't carry out the first part (oddly enough!), but I did carry out the second, thus my brush continually trailed a lovely shade of yellow (bless :? ). Having then spoken to my trainer again, it was pointed out that it should be kept vertical and head down (I would swear that she said horizontal, but hey :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I'm now pleased to tell that my bonny brush has no more shades of yellow trailing after it's every move and this one's been around for about 6 months.

So, pray tell, how should my brush be kept, vertical, horizontal (head up) or horizontal (head down)?

Adele

Ps.. Would also like to say that all my past brushes get given a passing farwell, a ceremonial washing and then laid to rest until required by one of my little darlings for those special painting sessions! :D

I just attended a CND class today at our trade show at Mystic Lake, MN and the instructor said to lay the brush on a paper towel in a dust free area, I guess the monomer left in the brush attracts dust etc that can contaminate the brush. I dont have a name for my brushes but they last me about 3 years and they are never tortured in brush cleaner or my name is Harvey :rolleyes: . Does anyone besides the Geek name their brushes and if so what do you call them :?:

I have 3 brushes. For 3 different purposes.

I have:

* a CND umm... the big one... for sculpting
* another CND ummm... smaller one... pro-styler?? for general work, and
* my EzFlow brush for glitter acrylics

I have had my EzFlow brush for 2 years, my pro-styler for about 18mths and I have just recently acquired the scultping one.

When I bought my EzFlow master kit I received a bottle of bottle cleaner - which I promptly threw out. I only clean my brushes in monomer and have never had a problem with them. Gosh I went thru the brushes when I first started though... was always getting dried product in them! :oops:

In school, we were taught to always clean our brushes in monomer. However, on my state exam for licensure,( multiple choice) there was the question: What is the proper way in which to clean your acrylic brush? "In monomer" was not an answer option!....

Georgie Porgie said:
In school, we were taught to always clean our brushes in monomer. However, on my state exam for licensure,( multiple choice) there was the question: What is the proper way in which to clean your acrylic brush? "In monomer" was not an answer option!....

I am not overly suprised... Did you have to demonstrate 'cutting the cuticle?' (um... the eponychium would be more accurate... and no... you should never cut it). Do tell what the choices were (if you remember)

Toodles

The Nail Geek said:
I am not overly suprised... Did you have to demonstrate 'cutting the cuticle?' (um... the eponychium would be more accurate... and no... you should never cut it). Do tell what the choices were (if you remember)

We were taught in school NEVER to cut the eponychium, and no, at state boards we were not required to demonstrate. Actually nippers were not allowed at all. However, even though we had already properly manicured one hand, we were required to properly manicure each finger before enhancement procedure.

I have only been doing nails for a year and two months and I still have the same brush,in excellent condition. I have never used brush cleaner only monomer to clean it. I guess I just have to wait and see how much longer it will last for me.

:flower:

Georgie Porgie said:
We were taught in school NEVER to cut the eponychium, and no, at state boards we were not required to demonstrate. Actually nippers were not allowed at all. However, even though we had already properly manicured one hand, we were required to properly manicure each finger before enhancement procedure.

Sorry to lead this off topic... but had to say "brilliant". Many state boards in the US require this and it is a breath of fresh air to see youtah not.

*back on topic*

Anyhooo... do tell... what was the answer regarding the brush cleaning.

Can i just ask, cos no-one seemed to answer...what is the best/correct way in which to store your brush?

Ive had my brush for 9 months now and i was told in the Creative Foundation course to store it horizontally, so i went and bought a CND brush box and i have a little piece of blue-tac in there to stop it "bobbing" around (excuse the pun Mr Geek!) and possibly getting damaged. :?

I have to say that i have not had any problems with it as yet, apart from one scary moment when there seemed to be some product stuck in it...i was so upset that i am a little paranoid about cleaning it now. :rolleyes:

nicolajanejohnson said:
Can i just ask, cos no-one seemed to answer...what is the best/correct way in which to store your brush?

Sorry nicolajane! :oops:
I believe that the correct way to store your brush is horizontal, and covered as to keep the dust off. I have done this with my "betsy" for over a year, and have never had any problems with contamination.
As for stuck product, you might try soaking it in monomer for a bit.( I have heard others mention doing this... I personally haven't gotten any product "stuck" in my betsy since I learned that little tidbit, so I honestly can't tell you if it works). I would try it first though, before I gave up on betsy, or dowsed her with cleaner.

The Nail Geek said:
anyhooo... do tell... what was the answer regarding the brush cleaning.

I honestly don't know the correct answer. Monomer was the only way I knew of at the time, so I flat out guessed on this one :oops:. I am sure I missed it....lol
However, my choices were these (as close as I can remember):
a. mild soap and water
b. professional brush cleaner
c. antibacterial brush wash
d. any of the above

Georgie Porgie said:
c. antibacterial brush wash

WTF could this one be?

Brush cleaners and monomer would be considered as 'self disinfecting' as no pathogens could grow within the environment.
Go figure. I would have guessed they wanted 'Brush Cleaner'.

I replace Pat's head about every six months. I am trying to more tender and loving to Pat. He doesn't seem to mind losing his head twice a year. This time, I got pat a bigger head!

When Pat goes to bed, he lays horizontally in the box that his body came in. I always clean Pat in monomer!

I love Pat!!!

I have had the unfortunate expense of changing my brush every 3-6 months, due to bad training in the past (cleaning in brush cleaner,getting aliens clinging to the hairstyle, etc)
Since finding creative I now only clean my brush in monomer but I`ve still had a problem with aliens and neon hair colouring.
I have to say that since buying a coffin to store it in I still suffered with neon hair so I now make sure that the coffin is kept vertical and so far (I pray every day) its behaving for me.
I do have to confess though I have no name for my brush

Well about a week ago now i have treated myself to a master seris brush a lovely silver handled job which i love to bits!! and yup it has its own little coffin which it sleeps in i always wrap it in a clean peice of couch roll after cleaning it in monomer before it goes to bed! ooooo i love my brush just gotta think of a name for it now any suggestions geek? :green:

Latest posts

Back