How often should you keep your nails bare between polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickagirll

Reaction score
As the title reads.. whats a good amount of time to keep your nails bare between manicures?

I've been addicted to polishing my nails with no breather in between changes.. and that's just really bad.. so.. I was just wondering how long is a good amount of time between changes?

no time! :)

nails dont need a break, or a breather, they cant breathe as they have no lungs :D

it is actually better to keep some sort of coating on your nails to protect them from splitting etc, :)

hth's! :) x

Agree... as long as you use a good base coat and good polish it's fine not to give them a break xxx

Really? Interesting! I've just been given some advice that it's recommended to keep the nails bare once inawhile so they can "breathe" I guess this isn't true? Is there anything that is recommended to do between changes then? Maybe some kind of cuticle oil/solar oil treatment or anything specific?

Could you guys recommended a good base coat?

I've been trying to keep away from any polish that contains all those bad chemicals.. and mainly been sticking with OPI.. but I've soo been addicted to using seche vite fast dry top coat.. I couldn't give that up.. but base coat is where i'm missing the best from.

nope! they defiently dont need to breathe, :)

using a cutcile oil morning and night will ensure you're nails are in tip top condition! :) solar oil by CND is said to be really good, i have had no experiences using it though, but OPI make a good one too called avoplex :)

x

Although i'm not a great fan of Jessica polishes (like you i love O.P.I) I think their base coats are fab! They also do a really good almond oil.
The matrix is what you want to look after (this is just near your cuticle but you cant see it)
because this determines the nails growth. So rubbing oil on your cuticles will definitely do your nails some good. Maybe book in for a warm oil manicure. Some therapists dont like to paint after this treatment though xxx

yes its ok not to give your nails a "break" as wearing polish (providing your wearing a basecoat to prevent staining) acts as a barrier to damage - atleast thats what i was told in my training. i agree too nails dont have lungs, they dont need to breathe

If your nails are "naked," they are exposed to everything you DO to them- and when you don't have ANYTHING on your nails, you are more likely to do things you KNOW you shouldn't- ie: scrubbing bathrooms, floors, doing dishes, all without gloves. And the nails natural oils are being stripped completely by harsh cleaning mixtures and WATER- with no protection in the form of base coat, 2 coats of color, and a good strong top coat.

Think of wood, and how it's treated to repel water and other elements with a good oil and a varnish of some sort. Your nails are alot like wood, the way keratin sits, and how natural oils leech out easily- also in how absorbant they actually are. If you have a solid wood table, you treat it with oil to keep it conditioned and supple right? Do the same to your nails. They don't breathe or sweat, and need protection from everyday elements like handwashing. :)

Solar Oil is meant to be used daily, the best time to use it is right before bed; your nails absorb emollients better while you sleep. I like to put it on and then rub a good moisturizer in (my fave is grapefruit scentsations). It kind of "seals" the Solar Oil in :)

CND base coats are meant to "anchor" the polish to your nail, and CND Polishes are truly 3 free (DBP, Formaldehyde, and toulene). Not to mention the fun you can have with the new Color and Effects line, 50 cream colors that apply super smooth, dry 50% faster, and are meant to be layered with any of the 15 different "Effects" enamels (that also dry super fast and go on super smooth)to give more than 800 color combinations in 75 bottles!

That sounds like a really fun way to protect your nails to me ;)

If your nails are "naked," they are exposed to everything you DO to them- and when you don't have ANYTHING on your nails, you are more likely to do things you KNOW you shouldn't- ie: scrubbing bathrooms, floors, doing dishes, all without gloves. And the nails natural oils are being stripped completely by harsh cleaning mixtures and WATER- with no protection in the form of base coat, 2 coats of color, and a good strong top coat.

Think of wood, and how it's treated to repel water and other elements with a good oil and a varnish of some sort. Your nails are alot like wood, the way keratin sits, and how natural oils leech out easily- also in how absorbant they actually are. If you have a solid wood table, you treat it with oil to keep it conditioned and supple right? Do the same to your nails. They don't breathe or sweat, and need protection from everyday elements like handwashing. :)

Solar Oil is meant to be used daily, the best time to use it is right before bed; your nails absorb emollients better while you sleep. I like to put it on and then rub a good moisturizer in (my fave is grapefruit scentsations). It kind of "seals" the Solar Oil in :)

CND base coats are meant to "anchor" the polish to your nail, and CND Polishes are truly 3 free (DBP, Formaldehyde, and toulene). Not to mention the fun you can have with the new Color and Effects line, 50 cream colors that apply super smooth, dry 50% faster, and are meant to be layered with any of the 15 different "Effects" enamels (that also dry super fast and go on super smooth)to give more than 800 color combinations in 75 bottles!

That sounds like a really fun way to protect your nails to me ;)

What a great post Heather ... it explains perfectly. :hug:

It is strange to see all the old 'nail myths' that pop up from time to time when as professionals we know they are so inaccurate: Like nails needing to breathe and calcium being good to 'feed' your nails and nails needing a 'break' or a holiday from wearing polish etc etc .. there are so many! :)

It is pretty easy to understand that none of these things are true, when you understand that the natural nail plate is composed of non living keratinised cells and all you can really do to it to have any real effect on it is to clean it , and moisturise it. You cannot feed it, it doesn't breathe and things that claim to contain calcium are of no benefit whatsoever. (very like hair).

So it is not 'really bad' to keep your nails polished for as long as you want but do keep them moisturised at the same time. A good cuticle oil such as Solar Oil from CND will penetrate right through polish to keep nails healthy and flexible. Nails that are allowed to dry out, eventually become brittle and break.

cool video .... though she didn't sanitise first (we all know she did).

she also didn't dehydrate all those lovely oils before the base coat (we all know she did)

But we get the point.

Brilliant sales video for clients.

CND is all big 3 free?

The one I have "stickey" has some.. if i'm not mistaken.. has their formula changed?

CND is all big 3 free?

The one I have "stickey" has some.. if i'm not mistaken.. has their formula changed?

The formula HAS changed, and the new line was launched in September of this year :)

And it's even better now, can't believe how fast drying or how easy to apply, and that it only needs one coat of colour under effects....:green:

Latest posts

Back