How old for nose piercing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
My daughter (14) wants to get her nose pierced and has asked us when she can.

I think she should wait a while and be sure she wants it as I think it can impact on how you are perceived, and if she's sure, then no point while still at school as they're not allowed to wear earrings let alone anything else.

Her dad says 18.

Does anyone know if she could go and get it done without parental consent anyway? I wondered if any therapists who offer piercings knew what the requirements were?

Thanks x

I had my nose peirced at 18, and still love it, most peircers will pierce without parent consent at the age of 16. Some times 18 depends where you go x

At about that age I begged and begged my mum to let me have that done but she didn't want me to. I thought she was being so mean but it then took for my older cousin to draw a picture of a nose with a piercing that had gone wrong to put me off.
Personally I'm glad I did get put off the idea.
It's funny what you think you want at 14 and then a few years later you think that god I changed my mind.
Maybe look for pictures on the internet of it going wrong and see if it puts her off like it did me!

I wanted all sorts pierced at 14, my mum eventually gave in to my belly button when I got my 1st job.

At 17 I went on to get my nipple pierced & my tongue at 18.

I dont wear any of these piercings now. & Im glad she didnt give in to the top of my ear, the inside of my ear & my nose all of which I begged for.

I think the age for piercings are 16 unless its changed.

Xx

I had my nose pierced at 14 & still love it aged 28, I wear a very minimal diamond effect stud. I feel lost with out it.
It did however get me in to lots of trouble at school & probably caused a lot of hassle, had I waited to 16 I & the school could of done with out lol I had it pierced at the begin of the summer hols & it still wasn't quite heeled enough by the sept to be taken in & out constantly for school so was a little sore but I looked after it so didn't become infected.
My advice would be wait until year 11 is finished if poss. :)
Editing to say although my mom gave me permission she didn't come with me. & I strolled in no questions asked about my age I expected to make an appointment & I got it done there & then. I hope things are abit different 14 years on!
HTH

Last edited:
My eldest started asking for more piercings (had ears done as a tot) from the age of 12...
She had one as a birthday gift each year from 13.
13 - 2nd earrings
14 - nose
15 - bellybutton
16 - tongue
17 - tregus
18 - lip
19 - ear stretching began with tunnels/cones
22 - tattoo (small star behind ear)
23 - nipple

Shes 25 now and every[\u] piercing other than first earring holes are out/closed by choice.

When I had my nose pierced back when I was 19 it was done with an Earpiercing gun, nice and quick.
My daughters was done with a needle and she said if she'd seen it done before then she wouldn't have had it done... She thought it would be quick and painless.

Maybe speak to the local piercing salon and see if she can sit in and watch one being done, she may decide to put it off a few years... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had my nose pierced at 13, I'm 19 now and still love it I wear a little diamond stud.
I got mine a little young but 16ish sounds reasonable to me, it's your choice! x

I think it's 16 with consent and over 18 without, although if you can find a place to do it at that age the school will just make her take it out and if she doesn't they will exclude her... They did to my OH brother when he wore ear stretchers

My mum allowed me to have my nose done at 14, but she researched all the piercing studios and made sure she took me to a reputable one, I loved it! I only wore a very tiny diamond so it was barely noticeable it just glinted in the light, I don't wear it anymore and I don't have a visible scar from it, ultimately it's your choice but personally I think it's a fairly tame piercing, and if you really don't want her to have it be assured she can't have it without your permission until she's 16 :) xxx

My daughter (14) wants to get her nose pierced and has asked us when she can.

I think she should wait a while and be sure she wants it as I think it can impact on how you are perceived, and if she's sure, then no point while still at school as they're not allowed to wear earrings let alone anything else.

Her dad says 18.

Does anyone know if she could go and get it done without parental consent anyway? I wondered if any therapists who offer piercings knew what the requirements were?

Thanks x

Hi I'm a professional body piercer, there is no legal age in piercing, but if under 16 you have to have a parents consent, I pierce with no parent consent at age 18 but ask for ID, hope that helps.

Hi I'm a professional body piercer, there is no legal age in piercing, but if under 16 you have to have a parents consent, I pierce with no parent consent at age 18 but ask for ID, hope that helps.

My daughter had 30 piercings and 4 tattoos under 16 and she was at school.. seriously if they want it and they are determined, they will get it. All of hers came from professional salons she went back to the same two salons as once she got past the door the first time they remembered her so just kept on giving them out.

And no, I didn't know she had some of them as they were dermals that were hidden on the back of her neck and on the tops of her arms, both nipples, vaginal piercings, noise rings that went up her nose so you couldn't see them, rings in her mouth that would be hidden etc. . .

I wasn't happy. They are slowly coming out. She had 17 in her face alone (at 17) but now probably has 10 left, mainly in her ears the one thing that really upsets me is she stretched her ear to 30 mm. . That's just wrong. . I've seen the infections - they made me sick. .. She didn't bat an eyelid. I was horrified.

... and yes I spent many times at the school but she was never excluded. She wouldn't take them out for all the riches in the world, even when I stood in front of her cried my eyes out and begged.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
My daughter had 30 piercings and 4 tattoos under 16 and she was at school.. seriously if they want it and they are determined, they will get it. All of hers came from professional salons she went back to the same two salons as once she got past the door the first time they remembered her so just kept on giving them out.

And no, I didn't know she had some of them as they were dermals that were hidden on the back of her neck and on the tops of her arms, both nipples, vaginal piercings, noise rings that went up her nose so you couldn't see them, rings in her mouth that would be hidden etc. . .

I wasn't happy. They are slowly coming out. She had 17 in her face alone (at 17) but now probably has 10 left, mainly in her ears the one thing that really upsets me is she stretched her ear to 30 mm. . That's just wrong. . I've seen the infections - they made me sick. .. She didn't bat an eyelid. I was horrified.

... and yes I spent many times at the school but she was never excluded. She wouldn't take them out for all the riches in the world, even when I stood in front of her cried my eyes out and begged.

All I can say to that is "bloody hell!".

All I can say to that is "bloody hell!".

I know MM. I've said more than bloody hell!.

There was just no stopping her, I don't believe it is anything to do with being a bad parent either. My girl takes after me, once I'm determined nothing will stop me however, there is an element of respect that is missing in situations like this. ... Probably for another thread....

Most places won't pierce without parental consent until they are 16 then it's 18. Atleast that's the way it is here in scotland. I didn't have any other piercings done until I was 16 my mum forbid me to get my lip done even when I was 16, she left me money to spend since she went on holiday and I went and got it done and sent her a photo saying "hope you enjoy your holiday! I got this done" I got my belly button pierced and I got in trouble for it at school because it kept causing me problems and kept figiting with it and I actually found out it was rejecting so now I have a lovely scar on my stomach. It's my biggest regret out of all 9 piercings I currently have.

I know alot of piercers though and I've took my mum along and introduced them and she's watched me get them done. So she knows. She very much has the attitude of "if you were meant to have holes in your body god would have given you them" but no, my attitude is I've been given a blank canvas to do what I want.

Basically, find a local recommended, reputable piercer and ask them what their age is :)

My daughter and her friend had their belly buttons done at 14, I was required to sign them over... I wasn't checked who I was.
I had initially checked with friends parents!!

Once I had signed the paperwork I was free to leave them, so I did.

My eldest has been and had piercings done from 12, some I knew about, most not.

Wow. And my 12 year old refuses to even wear nail varnish. I'm changing her name to "Saffie" as she is Saffron from Ab Fab. I disgust her.

I know MM. I've said more than bloody hell!.

There was just no stopping her, I don't believe it is anything to do with being a bad parent either. My girl takes after me, once I'm determined nothing will stop me however, there is an element of respect that is missing in situations like this. ... Probably for another thread....

You must be far to kind !! I was petrified of my mother growing up and even now I dont really want to chip her off...

Beauty at your finger tips!

I begged from being 11 to have my belly button pierced... I was allowed at 14 as a reward for getting my first job as a Saturday girl in a salon.

At 16 I got a tattoo & showed my rather unimpressed Mum who called the tattoo place threatening to sue them if they didn't pay for removal. After calling a few places she found it could leave scarring so left me (grounded) with my tattoo.

At 17 I got my nipple pierced on a whim with a friend (learnt my lesson & didn't tell my Mum).

Another legal tattoo on my 18th.

My tongue was a complete no go with my Mum, so after a row at 18 I went to stay with a friend & got it done anyway.

Ive only got my ears pierced now, think its a 'growing up' phase/rebellion/trend to want all sorts done.

I did like that my Mum rewarded my grown up behaviour (getting a job) with something Id really wanted, which made me feel even more grown up.

Xx

I have no advice but I have two daughters and if this is what I have to come ....... F*** lol x

Latest posts

Back