How on earth do you do a set in 2 hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodacious

Reaction score
I cant say that I hang about in what I do but am amazed at how you guys do a set in 2 hours!

I am still at four and I think the longest part for me is the nail tip selection and application! I take it that eventually you do become faster at this along with your blending!

When I started doing nails after graduation from nail school (which is nearly 6 months here in Wisconsin) it took what seemed to be forever.However with lots of practice on friends and family (and myself ,I used an electric file on myself when i started so i could feel what people experience and find my groove with it.Always seek training when using an e-file and never use on natural nail surfaces.) I soon got it down to about two hours.
I FOUND MYSELF IN THE DESIRABLE POSITION OF INTERNING AT A HIGHLY RESPECTED SALON(WHICH IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE MISS AMERICA PAGEANT AND THEY PROVIDED ALL THE GUINEA PIGS FOR ME TO TORTURE AND APPLY HUGE UNSIGHTLY NAILS UPON.AND I WILL BE FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR THIS EXPERIENCE.
After i was introduced to the art of sculptured nails by a fantasticly talanted nail artist by the name of Jules ,I soon realized that I could do a full set of sculpts much faster than a set of tips.I received my license in May of 2003. I started my salon part time in November 2003 and soon devoted my time exclusively to MY BUSINESS and left the other salon.I have my time for a set of p/w at 1.5 hours and regular polished sculpts to right about an hour give or take my mood and talkative-ness.I presume I am doing a effective service as I have many clients, charge a considerable amount and am booked now four days a week.
Good Luck in your quest, try sculptured acrylic, and practice practice practice

Na
Nailman
http://nailtrips.com

Yes you do.

But there are many ways to helpyrself to speed up a bit without risking the quality of your work.

I have discussed many of these way before and suggest you search 'speed' or 'timing' and see what yu can find there.

For sure 4 hours is a LONG time. If you have the time you wil take the time. Set yourself some realistic goals like " prep tippng and blending 1 hour"
2Product application 45 minutes" "Finishing 50 minutes" For starters.

Then start to reduce those times little by little.

Hi (Bodacious !!)

Four hours is a long time but practice brings it down all the while.
When we have new girls in our studio we book them "model sets" at £10 a time and hammer into them that the time taken does not matter at the start -only QUALITY counts. If you get the quality right, the time taken comes down naturally. We have seen plenty of youngsters who think that it is speed that makes a good nail tech. This is completely wrong, our experience is that if they work so fast when they begin that they get the time right (ie approx 1 and a half hours for a set of L&P) but the quality poor they can never fix the quality.
As long as you are happy with your work your times will come down - hang on in there.

Mark .Y.

Hi Bodacious,

Really don't worry too much about your speed in the beginning. As was said previously QUALITY is better than QUANTITY. When i first started i was doing a full set of pink and white L&P in five hours!!

Now i do a full set of L&P in 2 and a 1/2 hours. practise i'm afraid is the key, the more you do the quicker you will get. I have to say i really don't know where it improved but as Geeg said, your speed will come down on its own as you do more sets.

One thing i have noticed though, is the more regular clients you get, sometimes your time increases because your clients love a good chat....lol.

Do a search for the thread "How Long Should A Full Set Take". Thats the thread that has the really helpful stuff from Geeg in it and its amazing how much of it does apply and will help.

Yep, my first set was 5 1/2 hours and that was with a white tip no blending :lol: :lol:

But now I am far quicker and skilled, one of the main things I have learnt is look at your clients nails not their face when you are working, I spent far to much time stopping and looking up to talk to the client - now, its heads down and on with the job..HOPE this helps and dont worry abut time for now concentrate on developing your technique...hth

I too am new ... quite recently completed college course. My first set took me 4 hours and was HARD work... now with practice I am at the 2 1/2 hours mark depending on my energy levels!! I hate it when a client asks how long it will take to complete a set!! I still find completing a set very hard work, but have learnt that spending time on the application of l&p, rather than the filing time really does you favours!

As for the nail tip selection, i always record the size of the tips I have used on the client record card for when (if!!!) they return.

The most important thing though, like everyone has said, is definately QUALITY... they wont return if they were rushed and not up to scratch.

Thanks for that guys, and kimberley that is a good tip ref nail numbers!

I will go off in searh of said thread. The bigger problem I have now is that yet again I have lost my main nail technician (handed in notice this morning)

So I am now really stuck as you cant hire any round here for love nor money it seems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back