How quick your luck can change

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazemalone

Reaction score
So I just thought I'd start this thread as my luck seems to be changing. So to start from 12 months ago (won't bore you any further than this) I had a job ( didn't love it but good money and in recessionary times) my wedding was booked for July I lost the weight I wanted to things were going well. Between June and September a lot happened. My mam passed away, I got pregnant, I was made redundant , I got married, I lost the baby, my husband had his appendix out and part of his bowel as the appendix was stuck to it so he was extremely sick and was out of work for 6 weeks and now sports a whopper scar, 22 staples for his troubles. So then I started back to my beauty background and added shellac and minx to my menu. Then life just cruised along. Last night we were invited to the Marie Keating annual valentines ball. There was gifts donated in my mams name from her old company. I was presented with a bouquet and then I won a hamper of Dior skin care worth €250. Well what a boost. Well I wanted to know if any of you have experienced huge ups and downs and have come out smiling, positive and with the light at the end of the tunnel in sight. X

That's great that things have turned around for you! I can't imagine how hard it must have been losing your child. I'm so sorry that you had to endure that, after losing your mam. :sad:

I think back to myself a year ago and I'm really proud. I was just working doing massage therapy. I had broken up with the love of my life and the only thing making me happy was the fact that I had lost a ton of weight. I had suffered a back injury in Dec of '10 which reared it's ugly head in May 2011. I ended up in the hospital with suspected cauda equina, which essentially means that my herniated disc was pressing so severely on my spine that I lost all feeling and function of my lower body.

I was on bed rest for all of June and gained almost all of the weight back. I was so depressed and on huge amounts of medication that there are entire weeks I don't remember. During that time I planned opening my beauty studio with my mom's help. I opened it in July with a lot of help from family and friends. I've been extremely successful so far and have begun to lose the weight again. The love of my life and I are back on and planning the rest of our life together.

Everything has rectified itself and my life is so great. I have my rough days, but whenever I do, I just go back and read my story that was featured in Nails Magazine and remember how far I've come.

I live by the saying "This too shall pass".

Wow you really did an amazing job by the sounds of it. I can only imagine the pain you were in. Never mind being bed bound,so to not sink lower and to fall into depression but to plan your business is a huge achievement and really is in my opinion climbing a mountain. So for your life and love i wish you all the best and better. X

Twenty something years ago as a young couple, my husband and I were living large. My husband had a great job with a great company but then the company shut down and my husband couldn't find another job in the industry. Our world came crumbling down. We lost everything. At the same time, my birth control failed. My husband couldn't find a job. I was pregnant and we were broke.

Kellen was born and my husband still hadn't found a job. A month after his birth, Ron finally found a job but it was 1/3 of his previous salary. We had to start over...and with a baby. I remember times when there was only enough money to buy formula for the baby so there would be no meat to go with dinner. I remember one time in particular, I was so sick. I really needed to go to the doctor but I couldn't because the money it would cost I had to spend on diapers.

When Kellen was two, I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer. In a year's time, I underwent seven surgeries, radiation therapy and chemo. In that same year, I broke my leg so severally that it required surgery, the installation of a plate and pins. All the time, I was raising a two year old, finishing up my master's degree and trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy.

About two years later, we had saved enough for my husband to start his own side business, a landscape maintenance company. It thrived. At the same time, our full-time positions' incomes increased significantly as well. Shortly after that, we began purchasing distressed real estate properties and turning them over for profit as well as purchasing rental properties. Our fortunes had finally changed.

I've never forgotten those lean years.

Last edited:
Tammie you are so incredible!

If I can be half the woman you are in 20 years, I'll be doing good. :D :D :D

Twenty something years ago as a young couple, my husband and I were living large. My husband had a great job with a great company but then the company shut down and my husband couldn't find another job in the industry. Our world came crumbling down. We lost everything. At the same time, my birth control failed. My husband couldn't find a job. I was pregnant and we were broke.

Kellen was born and my husband still hadn't found a job. A month after his birth, Ron finally found a job but it was 1/3 of his previous salary. We had to start over...and with a baby. I remember times when there was only enough money to buy formula for the baby so there would be no meat to go with dinner. I remember one time in particular, I was so sick. I really needed to go to the doctor but I couldn't because the money it would cost I had to spend on diapers.

When Kellen was two, I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer. In a year's time, I underwent a seven surgeries, radiation therapy and chemo. In that same year, I broke my leg so severally that it required surgery, the installation of a plate and pins. All the time, I was raising a two year old, finishing up my master's degree and trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy.

About two years later, we had saved enough for my husband to start his own side business, a landscape maintenance company. It thrived. At the same time, our full-time positions' incomes increased significantly as well. Shortyly after that, we began purchasing distressed real estate properties and turning them over for profit as well as purchasing rental properties. Our fortunes had finally changed.

I've never forgotten those lean years.

Wow. Now thats an inspirational story if ever i heard one. Feeling rather embarassed by my 'woe is me' attitude of late. Thankyou for sharing this xxxx

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

Tammie that really is a fabulous turn around. Your a very strong woman and an incredible mother. your story is truly amazing. Fighting cancer is a true battle, well done. It's easy to just see the tough road ahead, your clearly a fighter. congratulations on you and your family's success. P.s I seen a pic of your son he is a total hottie ;)

Wow, very inspirational stories. It just proves women are much stronger than we're often given credit for. I can't imagine losing a child or fighting cancer, but I do understand about balancing finances to the point of choosing between buying formula for the baby or groceries for us.

On the grand scheme of things, life isn't that bad. I have a roof over my head and two gorgeous boys. Yes, money's tight, but you've proved no-one knows what's over the next hill. Here's to a bright and beautiful future.

Belle beauty I was thinking the same thing women might be the softer sex on the outside but were are definatley the stronger on the inside x

Truly inspirational stories, thank you all for sharing. Going through lean times currently, so truly appreciate your openess. All the best, all....

Latest posts

Back