How seriously do you take hygiene?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here
It's funny but I just couldn't imagine NOT washing your hands ... and I do it before and after a treatment.
Same here, all the best therapists have dehydrated skin on their hands cos we wash them like we've got OCD.:lol: Seriously after touching all the intimate and/or sensitive areas I couldn't not wash my hands.:eek:

I can't think straight or do anything until I've cleaned up my area, washed and sanitized tools, then properly wash my hands between each client!!

Definitely report this place - that is beyond disgusting and way below health standards. It is our duty as professionals to not let this kind of thing go unnoticed by the proper authorities!

Hygiene should be paramount for everyone, and not just in a salon environment. With so many bugs about that are so easily transmitted nowadays you have to be careful.

Unfortunately not all places and people feel like this.

Same here
Same here, all the best therapists have dehydrated skin on their hands cos we wash them like we've got OCD.:

That's why you should be using product with skin conditioners.

Washing your hands and sanitizing them in between clients doesn't have to dry your skin out.

You really can have the best of both worlds!

This was a lot to do with why I didn't stay at the salon that I had a brief stint in. My first question was where is the sanitizer, she had to look for it:eek:
My alarm bells were ringing from that moment on, I soon became the butt of a lot of jokes about how anal I was about cleanliness, I was expected to use the same file, client after client without sanitizing it first and in the end I took my own files in and sanitizer! I would not compromise my standards for anyone.

Your situation in that salon is shocking, good on you for sticking to your guns.

I am 100% anal when it comes to hygiene.

I actually suffered from OCD when I was 6, scrubbing my hands red raw through fear of contamination - and to be honest, it has never left me! I dont have the major urge to wash my hands after everything I touch now, lol, but hand washing just comes naturally! Before and after every single client, hand gel too!

All new clients usually say 'Ooh, it looks so nice and clean in here' :) - mainly due to the fact that the only other 2 salons that are my competition are NSS - enough said!!

Hygiene wins me clients, they DO notice and appreciate a nice clean environment. I tell them what barbicide is - I use a brand new file for every client.

x

This was a lot to do with why I didn't stay at the salon that I had a brief stint in. My first question was where is the sanitizer, she had to look for it:eek:
My alarm bells were ringing from that moment on, I soon became the butt of a lot of jokes about how anal I was about cleanliness, I was expected to use the same file, client after client without sanitizing it first and in the end I took my own files in and sanitizer! I would not compromise my standards for anyone.

Your situation in that salon is shocking, good on you for sticking to your guns.

trust me i have got ridd of lots of used files who were just being used and used all the time with no brushing and sanitising...first thing i did was gave them a list of things i needed...i put down anti-dust facial masks as one of the needed things...she asked me what do u need that for none of my girls never asked for any ??????5 packs of files...."But u have lots of files"showing the horrible ones...
I went mad when i found in the pedicure draw used foot files with the dead skin on them...how the hell can they get that out in front of the client i dont know...i guess the client is relaxed and just trusts the therapist...:(

Hygiene should be paramount for everyone, and not just in a salon environment. With so many bugs about that are so easily transmitted nowadays you have to be careful.
quote]

Well i dont know how come they were not aware of that...

That's why you should be using product with skin conditioners.

Washing your hands and sanitizing them in between clients doesn't have to dry your skin out.

You really can have the best of both worlds!

i am gonna do my own thing so ill get your products xx

I can't think straight or do anything until I've cleaned up my area, washed and sanitized tools, then properly wash my hands between each client!!
quote]

thats exactlly how i am ...i cant just ignore things that need doing...they affect my brain

It's funny but I just couldn't imagine NOT washing your hands ... and I do it before and after a treatment.

i dont touch anything ...untill ive washed my hands...and always use antiseptic ...i cant imagine any other way

Unfortunately I don't think this is an isolated situation.

There are many salons out there who just don't see the need for high standards in salon hygiene - or indeed any standards!

The owner told me that if i go from there i wont find anything better cause all are the same...they just dont like cleaning...:( unbelivable

The owner told me that if i go from there i wont find anything better cause all are the same...they just dont like cleaning...:( unbelivable
:eek:Shocking!:eek:

I was talking to a friend who stayed over the weekend, who is not from our area, and she asked me, "how do I know which nail bars to choose?"

My reply was,"The first thing you want to look for is the hygiene, if they don't sanitize their or your hands before doing anything, walk out, because if they can't keep up a simple thing like hygiene standards, god knows what they'll be doing to you next....not worth the risk!"

Well all I can add here is that you stick to your guns, keep your standards high and with a little bit of help:wink2: let the buggers hang themselves.

Sorry, that's really got my back up!

lol its allright u not the only one

Good news...ive done all u guys suggested to do,contacted enviromental health...best part is that TODAY i've found out that they have sold the salon lol...someone else is taking over...Dont know if my actions had anything to do with it but sounds like u can never run away from the CAUSE and EFFECT law lol:green:

xxxxxx

Good news...ive done all u guys suggested to do,contacted enviromental health...best part is that TODAY i've found out that they have sold the salon lol...someone else is taking over...Dont know if my actions had anything to do with it but sounds like u can never run away from the CAUSE and EFFECT law lol:green:

xxxxxx

That's a relief. You did the right thing. Some just turn a blind eye. Reporting conditions like these help everyone in the industy. Hopefully the new owners turn things around.... x

Hiya

Been there and got the TShirt, Used them and also worked in one.

The salon i worked in Tipped away Dirty Pedi water all over cups and saucers (YUCK i put a stop to that)
Reception girls read magazines all day, when bins were over filling and not changed for days, never offered clients a drink, made loads of mistakes on appointments....alway's took advantage of half price treatments.
Trainee was allowed to do full body massage on people who had back problems(OMG:eek:)
Beauty rooms had layers of floating fluff on the floor

As you can imagine i did not last long..i just could not keep all that cleaning and work up by myself.

When i mentioned it to the owner..several times..nothing was ever done..i got bored with my own voice in the end

When i did leave, i left on very good terms with all staff. It makes me shudder everytime i think about those dark and dirty corners of that beauty salon.

Keep up your chin you are better than that, there are better things for you out there.

Love Jenx
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

If it really is that bad a phone call to environmental health wouldn't go amiss. After all a client could get an infection or something if it's really that bad.

Dobbing them in is all well and good, but keep in mind one word ............
You are not there anymore, why not just let it be? It's their lesson to learn ..... not yours to bring about.

I'm fanatcial about hygiene and practise aseptic techniques when doing permanent make up and I carry this over into my waxing. I also have my Hep B jabs.

I always say that the dirtiest thing in the room is the client............after all, they've just come in off the street. So a good way to work is to think about protecting yourself and then you can't go wrong.

Dobbing them in is all well and good, but keep in mind one word ............
You are not there anymore, why not just let it be? It's their lesson to learn ..... not yours to bring about.

Well ive actually added a good cause for my karma by doing that...i have probably made a change for many other people who would have visited that place...u dont just let them be if they r causing harm to other people...i found it was my responsability to say something about it...u cant just let wrong things go on forever because then u are part of them just by closing your eyes and pretend u havent seen anything....

xxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back