How seriously do you take hygiene?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilyme

Reaction score
I have had a very bad experience...worked in a salon for a month,very close to where i live ...first day when i got back home i was sooo dissapointed and amazed about what ive seen in that place...Since then i talked to the owner several times ,with the girls aswell ...ended up saying that i will leave because i dont agree with what is happening in there...Ive been told to ignore and do my own thing which got me even more upset...Ive been told i have too high standards...The owner asked me if i could stick arround untill they get a new nail tech in but yesterday at the staff meeting all the girls teamed up against me ...so in short ...i brought up all the bad stuff that is going on in there and in stead of dealing with the problem they just made me go...and plus the guy started to boss me arround aswell...:(...Coudnt put up with it anymore...I felt horrible yesterday...

So sad how some people are only interested in taking the money and nothing else...

Have u ever come across such a situation?

I take it very seriously......what are you saying? The salon has no hygiene at all?

Exactlly...since ive been there the've changed a couple of things because i was complaining but after me leaving they r gonna get back to their usual stuff...i assume...

By the sounds of it you are better off out of there,iv just qualified my training and my teacher said to me what ever you do or where you go to work dont lower your standards and what i have taught you! i always remeber that as the hygiene is there for a reason.Good luck in ya future xx

If it really is that bad a phone call to environmental health wouldn't go amiss. After all a client could get an infection or something if it's really that bad.

Is that where i call if i wanna report them?

Yes or the local council if they need a license.

The thing is they have a health and safety license...they have the Habia Health and safety book in there...and half of the things they ticked in are not true...:(

It still will pay to put a quick phone call in and let a health inspector pay a unannouced visit to them.
Think of it this way hun, You are protecting the public from them!

Good luck

Just to give u an idea...there r 3 footbaths in there..not very often happens to have 3 pedicures in the same time...but it did and it was my second day there...they r usually on top of each other so obviouslly the last one wich i was about to use had green moldy horrible stuff in it...prooff that it hasnt been used and touched or cleaned since last used either...the only time when i saw them cleaning the footbaths was yesterday ....after a month...i cleaned and kept mine separatelly so only i work with it...They never cleaned not to say desinfect their footbaths after each clients...NEVER...

:Scared: I often think about these things when I go get a pedicure and therefore have stopped going to "strange" places and stick with the stylist at my salon to give me a pedi.
There have been major write ups here about peeps getting nasties from getting pedi's that were not santitized correctly. Our state health boards are coming down hard on it.

Now you must do your part and make that phone call to keep the public safe!
Salons like this as you have described make a bad reputation for ALL salons.:irked:

It sounds completely grim, a spot visit will be interesting to say the least. Let them know all the hygiene probs that you feel are going on there so they can check them all out.

I will definatelly cause i am seriouslly pissed off...people who work like that shouldnt be allowed to...

Unfortunately I don't think this is an isolated situation.

There are many salons out there who just don't see the need for high standards in salon hygiene - or indeed any standards!

A few days ago the World health Organisation published a report that stated that infectious diseases are spreading at a faster rate than any other time in history.

Many of these are 'new' to our shores due to extensive overseas travelling, and so it highlights the need to have high standards of hygiene in place.

The sad thing is that it is neither costly or time consuming. In fact, it is good for business as clients feel reassured that the salon is safe and so tell other people about it.

It also protects the health of all those working there too.

Sadly, it is these salons who neglect their responsibility regarding hygiene that give the industry a bad reputation - as highlighted last year by the report from Bristol Area Health.

My advise to anybody would be to have high standards in hygiene and to stick to them at all times. All it would take is a client to pick up an infection and to seek compensation - and it could be the end of your business.

Couldn't agree more Nigel, I am an absolute stickler for hygiene. My clients love that I use the Footsie Bath and so have a new liner per client ... and of course I wipe around the bath with a Mundo wipe lol! I disinfect all my tools. I always make a point of washing my hands before any new beauty client, and I always use a hand sanitiser at the start of a nail treatment.

I am even more conscious of this now when a client who is a nurse said to me that she was pleased to see that I took my hygiene so seriously as MRSI is so prevalent today and explained how easy it is for us to catch and that so many of us are carriers without even knowing it. Made me sit up and think i can tell you! It may seem a little OTT, but I'd rather that than the unthinkable ... if there is a risk, even minimal then it's best to be thorough.

I am even more conscious of this now when a client who is a nurse said to me that she was pleased to see that I took my hygiene so seriously as MRSI is so prevalent today and explained how easy it is for us to catch and that so many of us are carriers without even knowing it.

In the UK it's estimated that 40% of the population carry MRSA and are unaware! How many people are carrying other diseases and are unaware.

Just to give u an idea...there r 3 footbaths in there..not very often happens to have 3 pedicures in the same time...but it did and it was my second day there...they r usually on top of each other so obviouslly the last one wich i was about to use had green moldy horrible stuff in it...prooff that it hasnt been used and touched or cleaned since last used either...the only time when i saw them cleaning the footbaths was yesterday ....after a month...i cleaned and kept mine separatelly so only i work with it...They never cleaned not to say desinfect their footbaths after each clients...NEVER...

omg that is horrible! just think, you don't know who's feet might have been in there! eugh!:Scared:

I wold def let environmental health know. I had one check up on me about 2 months ago - it was a routine spot check. They check everything and the salon has no notice about the check to prepare. My salon was fine and since then the council have told habia about my salon and they are awarding me with a award at the end of the month! Its nice to get reconised for this and its free advertising for my buisiness.

Michellex

. and of course I wipe around the bath with a Mundo wipe lol! I disinfect all my tools. I always make a point of washing my hands before any new beauty client, and I always use a hand sanitiser at the start of a nail treatment.

This is state law in the washington state. The hand sanitizer is a new one they just came out with. But even hairstylist must wash and disinfect inbetween each client.

I just enforced in the salon that anyone who waxes..must use the hand sanitizers after washing their hands before touching the next client.
Can you imagine getting a eyebrow wax right after a client who had a bikini wax done?:irked:
I had one stylist tell me that she just sometimes "didn't have time" to wash her hands..UGH!:rolleyes:

It's funny but I just couldn't imagine NOT washing your hands ... and I do it before and after a treatment.

Latest posts

Back