How Shellac compares to soak off gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashastalons

Reaction score
Hi guys I am loving using shellac but have a questions.

I am finding it difficult to explain how shellac is different from soak off gels, I know its crossed between a polish and gel, it removes faster, no abraisives on natural nail and isnt as strong or thick but I would like to explain more benefits for it for when Im trying to sell my treatments to my clients, I just get clients saying its just like gel but thinner then? and Im like well......yeh lol.

Also I soaked some shellac off the other day and removed it with an orange wood stick but nails were still bitty (not smooth) so I have to go over nails with a white block which I didnt want to do as I thought with shellac you didnt have to do.

And one last question lol with the french when applying the white im finding it more difficult to do due to the sticky residue from the base coat, its looks ok but im a perfectionist with french polish and thought it would be easier if i wiped the sticky residue off the base coat before applying the white or wouldnt this be a good idea?

Sorry for long drawn out post lol hope you can help xx

Hi guys I am loving using shellac but have a questions.

I am finding it difficult to explain how shellac is different from soak off gels, I know its crossed between a polish and gel, it removes faster, no abraisives on natural nail and isnt as strong or thick but I would like to explain more benefits for it for when Im trying to sell my treatments to my clients, I just get clients saying its just like gel but thinner then? and Im like well......yeh lol.

Also I soaked some shellac off the other day and removed it with an orange wood stick but nails were still bitty (not smooth) so I have to go over nails with a white block which I didnt want to do as I thought with shellac you didnt have to do.

And one last question lol with the french when applying the white im finding it more difficult to do due to the sticky residue from the base coat, its looks ok but im a perfectionist with french polish and thought it would be easier if i wiped the sticky residue off the base coat before applying the white or wouldnt this be a good idea?

Sorry for long drawn out post lol hope you can help xx

First of all read this http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/112879-defining-shellac-u-v-colour-coat-system.html

Next remember that clients want to know what is in it for THEM so keep it simple and skip too much of the science .. they don't need to know and they don't really want to know.

If clients love their natural nails and wear polish then promising them 14 days and more of flawless wear is usually enough to get them to try the product.

Telling a client there is ZERO dry time is enough to get them to try the product.

And once they have worn it they will be hooked.

As for the inhin¡bition layer (or sticky residue) of course you can wipe it clean off if you want to. It has no function whatever for adhesion so if you want to wipe it clean off you can. I have written all about the inhibition layer in the Shellac lovers group.

As for soaking off, usually once you have removed any last bits, you only need to wipe firmly with Scrubfresh and a gauze pad and the surface wipes clean .. if it doesn't and you don't want to use a soft buffer then you need to leave your wraps on a little longer in the first place. You can open up a wrap and check how far the product has been disolved (like hair dressers open up foils to see if colour has taken or bleach bleached lol) if it hasn't gone far enough then wrap it up again or add a bit more D-solve with a pipette to the pad of the wrap.

Allot depends on how thickly you have polished .. how many layers you applied .. how long the client has worn her Shellacked nails and how much Acetone or D-Solve you have put on the pad (keep a note on the CRC). Normally 10 minutes covers it but depending on the things listed, it can take longer. D-solve is your quickest soak off ... not product remover. Use the right tools and life is easier.

Remember too that Shellac is 3 FREE ... coloured gels are not. I have heard of no other coloured gels or 'supposed' gel polishes that are also 3 Free and hypoallergenic like Shellac. No others can make that claim.

Remember too that Shellac is 3 FREE ... coloured gels are not. I have heard of no other coloured gels or 'supposed' gel polishes that are also 3 Free and hypoallergenic like Shellac. No others can make that claim.

I don't know about other brands, but Jessica's GELeration gel-polishes are 3-free, like all their other polishes have been long since others jumped on the bandwagon.

hi havnt tried shellac yet but have had a good go at the geleration range as i do peeland spmu clinics within the esporta group of health clubs and they have taken on the geleration i try my hardest to upsell there treatments for them when im there can you explainto me what 3 free means please

I explain to my clients that the difference with Shellac is that it is cheaper and quicker for those clients who have problem free nails and just want a groomed effect without chipping, etc.

For clients with extremely weak nails and needing added strength, I recommend Biosculpture which I can customise accordingly. I only use Biosculpture as an NNO. It takes longer to appy than Shellac.
I get the same natural looking effect with both products and the soak off time is similar.

I am still getting familiar with Shellac but so far so good without me having to sacrifice any other brand I have already invested in.

One question I have is can we retail D-solve to the public? Although Shellac is recommended only for 2 weeks, my clients are the type to push the boundaries, especially in these times of financial uncertainty. If I could retail or advise my clients how to remove themselves at home if they wish to go beyond the 2 weeks, I would have a bigger market for it. :)

Glad you added that information Martin .. however I don't call improving a brand necessarily 'jumpìng on the bandwagon' (kind of negative comment) surely it is a positive thing for the whole industry.

Unfortunately it takes a longer amount of time to completely redesign and reformulate and re bottle and relabel and remanufacture a brand that world wide is huge compared to a brand that world wide is not. Logistics.

As we have found out also .. launching a fantastic product line like Shellac is also a logistical nightmare when the demand is 10 times bigger than the supply forcast :irked: but thankfully that is now beginning to level out as the world wide Shellac market is stocked up. Lessons learned and it is not fun being a victim of ones own success. No one likes to get their ass kicked but it's good from time to time ... brings one down to earth and reaffirms that no one is sitting pretty all the time and makes one work even harder. Doesn't take away from the fact that Shellac is awesome and that there is nothing else like it.

One question I have is can we retail D-solve to the public? Although Shellac is recommended only for 2 weeks, my clients are the type to push the boundaries, especially in these times of financial uncertainty. If I could retail or advise my clients how to remove themselves at home if they wish to go beyond the 2 weeks, I would have a bigger market for it. :)

Yes you can retail both D-Solve and the wraps to clients.

Last edited:
Yes you can retail both D-Solve and the wraps to clients.

That is excellent news for me Gigi! I know you don't advocate beyond 2 weeks for Shellac but the fact that I can accommodate those who do want to push the boundaries by retailing them a D-Solve & Wraps Kit, makes it even more marketable. Thanks!:):hug:

That is excellent news for me Gigi! I know you don't advocate beyond 2 weeks for Shellac but the fact that I can accommodate those who do want to push the boundaries by retailing them a D-Solve & Wraps Kit, makes it even more marketable. Thanks!:):hug:

It is not that we don't advocate longer than 3 weeks (I am a 3 weeker every time) but we don't guarantee beyond 2 weeks .. because ... you know clients!!! :lol: Say 3 weeks and they will complain after 2 .. say 2 weeks and they will be the first to boast, "oh I went 3 weeks no problem." Love em!!!

Last edited:
can someone explain what 3 free means for me and also does shellac ,gellish or geleration contain mehq

If you search 3Free then you will find exactly what it means .. it has been posted about so often here on the site. I thought everyone knew what it meant especially if they are a distributor of nail products as I believe you are and certainly all professionals should know.

Mehq is not a banned substance in profesional use only products and I suggest that you get hold of the MSDS of the relevant products you are interested in.

Last edited:
Glad you added that information Martin .. however I don't call improving a brand necessarily 'jumpìng on the bandwagon' (kind of negative comment) surely it is a positive thing for the whole industry.

That's ok about adding the information. The "jump on the bandwagon" comment wasn't meant as negative, rather I meant it in terms of others joining a growing & existing movement because it is seen to be the way forwards.

Unfortunately it takes a longer amount of time to completely redesign and reformulate and re bottle and relabel and remanufacture a brand that world wide is huge compared to a brand that world wide is not. Logistics.

I suppose then that being huge worldwide isn't always better if it means it is hard to reformulate etc to keep up with changes & trends in the industry?

3 free cant find anything to explain this phrase have typed in 3 free in search box my quest for information has nothing to do with product distribution or self or brand promotion its a personal quest to learn more about potential effects on my own health ,being exposed to lots of chemicals etc not just mehq !!! acetone ,mma ,parabens etc i am aware mehq is not banned in proffessional products just wondering if theese hybrid products were swaying more to the natural nail care approach /treatment ingredients etc merely being curious THATS ALL

I suppose then that being huge worldwide isn't always better if it means it is hard to reformulate etc to keep up with changes & trends in the industry?

Quite right Martin ... it isn't alwyas an advantage ... in this case it certainly has not been but it will come right and life will go on and things will be good for Shellac users and Shellac clients.

No intrruptions in supply, at this early stage, will take away from the interest in Shellac by customers and for those who are smart, they will be using this time to gain interest and market to a whole new clientele who know very little about this new service.

Already in a short 2 months peoples' businesses have grown on the back of using Shellac. Plenty of new clients out there in a market that has not formerly come to we professionals for nail services. The future's great for Shellac and Shellac users.

Thanks guys!

I think clients are going to like how quickly its applied and a polish that is dry when you walk out the door.

Also was thinking about selling acetone and wrap kits too!
Can i buy d-solve from cnd?

Im so amazed at my nails wih shellac on I thought id never take my acrylic nails off but I think ive been converted, so much easier than putting a new set on yourself!

Dont get too hot and sweaty either as you do when your doing a rebalance har har!

xx

Gosh Martin i usually enjoy your posts,but at the moment i dont like them.

Shellac is the word on everyones lips,call it marketing,call it good product,but its true-Shellac Shellac Shellac is all everyone is buzzing about.
No doubt other products are later to market,and they will do great too but stop being such a downer on a product that delivers what clients want- but got there first!
Thats what Cnd is all about- my love,
Karen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gosh Martin i usually enjoy your posts,but at the moment i dont like them...stop being such a downer on a product that delivers what clients want- but got there first

Erm? I'm at a loss to find where I've been a "downer" on Shellac, I only pointed out that Jessica's GELeration is also 3-free as that has been one of their core features for many years now. The "bandwagon" comments referred to the fact that many other brands have since decided to go 3-free with their polishes like Jessica, it wasn't referring to gel-polish technology.

Martin hasn't said any thing bad about shellac, just that he is pleased with his own product choice. If somebody is a Jessica stockist already you would expect them to continue with the brand, no?

Clearly hybrid gel/polishes (or whatever you picky nail people wanna call them) are the way forward for the industry. It was about time something came along to excite the people who don't want nail extesions.

Shall we start out on the right foot today and not pick or exacerbate any more arguments??? Let's just stop the attacks. I'm sure Martin can defend his own choices. Love & Peace all.
xx from an ever so picky nail technician. :lol:

When retailing the d-solve are there small retail sizes now that we can retail to clients or would they have to buy a full size?

When retailing the d-solve are there small retail sizes now that we can retail to clients or would they have to buy a full size?

They would need to buy the full size which is very good value and not that big. I have had no trouble selling it at all. If there is only one size then they just buy it ... no one can say it is expensive. They can also use it to remove ordinary nail polish if they need to. I also have a full 500 box of the Magis wraps and I retail an envelope of 25 to the clients that wish to wrap off at home plus a wooden cuticle stick. Nice little retail pack all made up and ready for them.

Latest posts

Back