How should I complain? Hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla

Reaction score
Hi
I coulld really do with some advice regarding my daughters hair extensions.
Firstly I am nothing to do with hair I do nails and tanning but hoping to do a hair extension course this month.
I went with my daughter just over a week ago to sit with her whilst she had her extensions fitted in one of the most popular salons in our town must admit I sat down and just noticed how dirty and shabby it was but they have a huge stock of hair in which is why they are probably popular as no waiting for hair to be ordered and arrive.
I have had great lenghts extensions in before( they were amazing) and I have had hairdreams extensions in(fitted in the middle east fitted correctly but not blended in so they were a let down) so having them in I had a good idea what they should be like although I know there are many different methods of fitting.
I watched the lady fitting my daughters extensions and it really was shocking after cutting the hair from a weft she used the glue gun to try and put the cluster of hair together sometimes it stuck and sometimes it didnt after doing this then applied more glue and attached it to my daughters hair the bonds in my daughters hair are really really big.
3 Hours later after hearing a therapist talking of how she had had her head in a clients crack for the last half an hour (gobsmacked how she was talking about a client in front of other clients) my daughter was done I knew she would not be happy with them but she loved having the long hair.She signed the sheet and got a sheet of paper advising her what to do and what not to do. I had a special hair brush from when I had my extensions so I gave her that and told her how to brush it. 3 days later she had to return to the shop as two of the extensions had already fallen out and she had not yet washed her hair. The owner of the shop was very nasty with my daughter saying that it must be her fault and something that she must have done she also went on to say that my daughters natural hair was a mess, daughter was upset to me on phone telling me what had been said so I said they are bound to say that to cover their arses.
I did my daughters friends nails for her on saturday for her birthday and she was telling me how she had aload of my daughters extension hair in her bag as they were out and the hair was just falling out everywhere so she was putting it in her bag.
My daugher called me today to ask if I would go into the shop with her to complain as they have not even been in 2 weeks(it will be 2 weeks on Wednesday since they were fitted) the enormous bonds are still attatched to her hair but there is very little left of the pieces that were put in( hope you understand what I mean.
I am just wondering how we should go about this I would really like that they remove them and refund my daughter.
I know with the treatments I do if it turns out to be me that is at fault for whatever reason I will amend things as I like my clients to be happy.
Any advice would be really apprecaited.
Thank you

Was their after care advice followed not yours that may have been from a different brand and method? X

Yes my daughter has followed what the sheet they gave her said for her to do

Then take the products that have been used, the brush and hair in, dont complain, just ask them how it could have happened. Point out the size of the bonds etc... And ask them to rectify it xoxo

This Is the fusion method, to get small bonds you have to take small sections of hair and ensure that the extension hair has enough adhesive on it create a small rice grain bond once it's attached to the clients hair. I have removed lots of bonds that looks like bullets. I find that this method has a lot of shedding.

I didn't even know of this method until idseen this site, I only knew of the pre bonded hair and wefts u apply a little bonding under the cotton bits to keep them in with, never a complaint with them xoxo

Thank you very much Tomme I will tell her to get everything together for wednesday when we go in.

It's ok, after all, it may have been a problem like her hair may have had too much product build up on it or something, but huge bonds are not acceptable, and I'm not an extensionist.
Don't go in all fires balzing, be calm and polite and you should get a lot further. I doubt they will refund as refunds are rare in hairdressing, but refitting free of charge is usual practice, such as myself if I got a colour complaint, then a free recolour if found to be my fault would be offered, but never a refund xoxo

I do fusion hair extensions as then you can use bulk hair. It does shed more than pre bonded even if applied correctly but should not shed that much nor come out so easily, especially if the bonds are really big. You need to attach small amounts of hair and a little bit of glue. I dont really apply the glu straight to the hair i have a special method when applying fusion to ensure bonds are small and attach correctly. It sounds like they hadnt fully soaked the hair in the bonding resin so the hair didnt stick and also the bond was not closed correctly to ensure it would stay in her natural hair. I would go in and tell them the situation and be completely honest with what she has been doing. I always welcome critisism from my clients as it helps me do my job better.

Im a fully qualified extensionist working in all methods and if you was just complaining about shedding then this is something that does happen with the bulk hair and is hard to know if its something the clients doing or in the fitting, thats why I prefer pre-bonds you dont get any shedding and micro rings are even better!. But when you talk about bonds that is a different matter altogether. If you can clearly see the bonds are huge and bulky blobs of glue that is purely down to the extensionist, so regardless of what they say about aftercare etc etc the bonds are their doing.
Now if this extensionist fits hair like that I'd say shes not qualified long or not very good at what she does, if this is the case her colleagues will be well aware of this and has more than likely had complaints before.
Go in polite at first and try to speak to someone other than who fitted them, get them to look at the bonds and you will tell by the look on their face if they arent right. Say your not looking for a refund at all as the whole point was to have long hair and ask if another stylist would fit a new full head.
See how you get on. Good luck :) Just out of interest what area are you in? Im in the west midlands if I can be of any help in the future xx

Your daughter should be the one to complain as she was the client and the contract is between her and the Salon, but no reason why you shouldn't be there for support.

If she believes that the service provided was inadequate, then she can request a full refund under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994.

I agree that as a hairdresser myself, I would prefer the opportunity to put things right. However, the Salon cannot insist on this.

If they refuse, as they might well do, her only course of action would be to sue them in the County Court. Depending on the evidence presented, she may well win.

I know many geeks on here hate the idea of litigation, but my feeling is that if more genuine consumers took action, it might eventually deter the poorly qualified (non-hairdressers), unprofessional Salons and therapists from operating and giving the industry a bad reputation. :D

I had this situation happened with one of my clients, I was away and she went to someone else to fit her hair extensions. It was the same situation as with your daughter she used glue gone and was cutting hair from the wefts. First of all my personal opinion is that
glue gun is last century, this method was used before pre tipped strands appeared on the hair extensions market such as great lenght, balmain, racoon etc. I understand that it is cheaper way of doing extensions, rather then buying strands which already have keratin on them. Doesn't matter how accurate you fit extensions with the help of the glue gun, they will never stay as good and will shed. I also find this method very damaging for the hair as you can't control temperature of the glue gun.
My client complained to this lady who was fitting her extensions and asked for refund.
Extensions lady ignored her and then my client sue her in the County Court, got her money back and £300 pounds compensation.

Hi
I just thought I would put an update on here. I have added some pictures in an album so that you can all see and hopefully understand what I mean.
My daughter has been back into the salon what they are wanting her to do is to forget about the £150 pounds she paid only 2 weeks ago for the exensions put in and have said the would offer her a weave fitted for free but she needs to buy the hair from them which is £75.
I feel this is wrong and would be intrested to know what you hair extension pros think now there are some pictures to see and how we would go about taking it further.
Thank you

Hi
I posted a thread on here which has been moved to the consumer queries. I have updated it and also created an album with the pics of my daughters extensions. I would be very grateful if you ladies could just take a look an advice me what we should do now.
Thank you all in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel so sorry for your daughter hun ): those are sooo bad! I dont know what to say regarding a refund but i think she should have them taken out as the exta weight from the massive bonds could damage her natural hair. £150 is relativley (spelling :/) cheap for a full head of extensions. I would deffo NOT give them anymore money for a weave. You say they are a popular salon in town? I know this may be abit drastic but cant you go to the papers about it? Tell them you might be thinking of doing it if they dont sort it out (as youve already tried with them but they eill not doing anything about it) its THEIR fault her hairs like this & its up to THEM to sort it out! Where abouts d you live? Xx

Hi All dolled up
Thanks for the reply.
I am not going to name the salon as I am hoping we can get this sorted out but it is in Doncaster South Yorkshire.
My daughter has started taking the extensions I think she was just picking at the bonds and they were coming out easily.
Once again thanks

Hi this is my first post on here as I am a bit shy so have been lurking lol..but feel after looking at your photos I must post something..OMG in my opinion these extensions need to be removed asap!!! the width of the sections are far to wide and to close to the scalp this will cause breakage and bold spots; the bonds are far to big and not sealed properly so would cause the extensions to slid out. Also the colour does not match. Is your daughters scalp sore, does she have little lumps where the extensions have been applied?
I would ask for them to be removed and a full refund. x

Last edited:
I have just seen your photos and the bonds are massive far too big, I see an awful lot of clients who come to my salon to have these removed.

My bonds are small and I am am always trying to get them smaller, after seeing them I think I will pat myself on the back. If I had someone in my salon turning work out like that they would be sacked immediately that is horrendous.

I feel for your daughter

Hi All dolled up
Thanks for the reply.
I am not going to name the salon as I am hoping we can get this sorted out but it is in Doncaster South Yorkshire.
My daughter has started taking the extensions I think she was just picking at the bonds and they were coming out easily.
Once again thanks
Ive PM'd you :) xx

Get her to a professional and have them removed asap! !!!!:hug:

Latest posts

Back