How should I handle the most shameless client ever?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening geeks, hope all have had a g££d saturday!
unfortunately mine ended on a horrible note, and i'm a bit unsure of how to handle the situation with a client so any advice from experience will be well appreciated, so here goes....
1stly i set up a salon & Spa 10months ago in India, and my usp is that i'm a NVQ qualified Hairdresser and BTEC Beauty therapist of ....10 years now (I think) so buisness is going well and i have this 1 client who on the surface is so flashy, but is always cutting her own costs.... in ways like 'i didnt have a file and polish for £2, i only had the polish for £1' (I have stocked OPI!... we also have to tend to have to remove her old polish before new application) she has masses of hair and fusses over having to pay £7.50 for a blowdry, and so i ended up taking £5. and since i'm a new salon trying to attract clients i had just been letting it go BUT THEN....
18th jan She called to ask charges of eye make up- £15 and wanted to book, but asked if she could drop the money in after a week, as she comes in around 3 times a month it wasn't a problem for me.
I got a call from her 3 nights ago to book again for eye make up the following morning @ 11, Done. My staff who does the make up was going to be off but re arranged ti be available. The following morning when she hadn't arrived by 11.15 i gave her a call and she was having problems setteling her baby, but assured me once she had, she'd be along. by 2pm it was apparent she wasn't coming..... i'm reasonable and it wasn't too much of a issue but a phone call would be nice and my poor staff missed something important she could andshould have attended but hey ho, we all no clients.
ANYWAY this eveing arounf 6pm she called to ask what the last appointment she could get for make up as she was going somewhere at 10pm. I told her the salon closes at 8pm, the makeup girl leaves by 7, this was too early or her so as we were busy and probably be around till 8.30 anyway i told the client i would ask the girl if she'd stay till 8 to do it, she said she would so i confirmed 8pm appointment with the client. 8.15, no show so we called her and she said she was on her way, 8.30 still not arrived called again, said she was on her way... i said if she hadn't left then we'd have to cancel as it was already so late but she insisted she had. She finally arrived at 8.40 (i have her record card and know she lives 5-7 mins from the salon) With her masses of hair wet.
so we got to work... I blowdried her hair, while the MUA started her eyes, agfter they were done she asked the MUA to conceal her blemishes with our products and proceeded to pull her MAC primer, foundation lipstaick and what not from her handbag, and i strictly stated that this would now become a full Make up £4000, which she declined. so i asked the MUA to set the blowdried hair and headed to wind down the rest of the salon as it was now 10pm after a very long 12 hr day!
The client called me after sometime to which i surprisingly saw that she has now had her full base applied, with contouring and highlighting, hair beautifully pinned up, nails f***ing polished and now her outfit pinned.
My poor staff's brother had come to pick her up so off she trotted 10.45pm
Now the client asked what her bill was, so when i calculated
Full make up £25 (otherwise £15 for eye make up £35 for for full, i decided as it was her main base and our time and effort we'd meet half way)
Blowdry £5
Hairdo £5
nail polish £2
She told me point blank NO, i can't do that.... that the make up should be £20 hair £5 and polish £1
the next 20 mins became pretty heated, as i tried to explain to her the staff would cost me 3hours overtime, look how late it is, this is a buisness that aslong as some1 is sitting in a chair it costs me money.... interms of rent, electricity, staff, plus we are professionals whose experience knowledge and skill has a value. Guys... i could go on and on about how i explained it to her and he kept refusing, telling me not to make it an issue (madam.... YOU stop making the issue) saying she would only pay £26, of which she gave me £20 and £6 she would drop in tomorrow PLUS THE PAYMENT PENDING FROM 18TH JAN.
Sooooooo i definately learnt a few things..... importantly advance payments will help plus make it clear any work out of hours will have additional charges, but is this a client i should not give a S%!t about retaining....
or has anyone any experience like this where the client can be retained and pay properly?!?!
Thank you SO much for taking the time to read my EXTREMELY long rant.... Can't wait to see your thoughts
Monisha xXX

I'm sorry you had an experience like this. In future you need too be firm with clients otherwise they will walk all over you. Do not let her book anything else without the money she owes you then give her a price list and tell her these are the prices no bartering. If she refuses too pay tell her it's theft and you will have too take necessary steps. She is acting the way she is because your allowing it. If you loose her then so be it do you really want clients like her? Xxx

Good evening geeks, hope all have had a g££d saturday!
unfortunately mine ended on a horrible note, and i'm a bit unsure of how to handle the situation with a client so any advice from experience will be well appreciated, so here goes....
1stly i set up a salon & Spa 10months ago in India, and my usp is that i'm a NVQ qualified Hairdresser and BTEC Beauty therapist of ....10 years now (I think) so buisness is going well and i have this 1 client who on the surface is so flashy, but is always cutting her own costs.... in ways like 'i didnt have a file and polish for £2, i only had the polish for £1' (I have stocked OPI!... we also have to tend to have to remove her old polish before new application) she has masses of hair and fusses over having to pay £7.50 for a blowdry, and so i ended up taking £5. and since i'm a new salon trying to attract clients i had just been letting it go BUT THEN....
18th jan She called to ask charges of eye make up- 1500Rs and wanted to book, but asked if she could drop the money in after a week, as she comes in around 3 times a month it wasn't a problem for me.
I got a call from her 3 nights ago to book again for eye make up the following morning @ 11, Done. My staff who does the make up was going to be off but re arranged ti be available. The following morning when she hadn't arrived by 11.15 i gave her a call and she was having problems setteling her baby, but assured me once she had, she'd be along. by 2pm it was apparent she wasn't coming..... i'm reasonable and it wasn't too much of a issue but a phone call would be nice and my poor staff missed something important she could andshould have attended but hey ho, we all no clients.
ANYWAY this eveing arounf 6pm she called to ask what the last appointment she could get for make up as she was going somewhere at 10pm. I told her the salon closes at 8pm, the makeup girl leaves by 7, this was too early or her so as we were busy and probably be around till 8.30 anyway i told the client i would ask the girl if she'd stay till 8 to do it, she said she would so i confirmed 8pm appointment with the client. 8.15, no show so we called her and she said she was on her way, 8.30 still not arrived called again, said she was on her way... i said if she hadn't left then we'd have to cancel as it was already so late but she insisted she had. She finally arrived at 8.40 (i have her record card and know she lives 5-7 mins from the salon) With her masses of hair wet.
so we got to work... I blowdried her hair, while the MUA started her eyes, agfter they were done she asked the MUA to conceal her blemishes with our products and proceeded to pull her MAC primer, foundation lipstaick and what not from her handbag, and i strictly stated that this would now become a full Make up £4000, which she declined. so i asked the MUA to set the blowdried hair and headed to wind down the rest of the salon as it was now 10pm after a very long 12 hr day!
The client called me after sometime to which i surprisingly saw that she has now had her full base applied, with contouring and highlighting, hair beautifully pinned up, nails f***ing polished and now her outfit pinned.
My poor staff's brother had come to pick her up so off she trotted 10.45pm
Now the client asked what her bill was, so when i calculated
Full make up £25 (otherwise £15 for eye make up £35 for for full, i decided as it was her main base and our time and effort we'd meet half way)
Blowdry £5
Hairdo £5
nail polish £2
She told me point blank NO, i can't do that.... that the make up should be £20 hair £5 and polish £1
the next 20 mins became pretty heated, as i tried to explain to her the staff would cost me 3hours overtime, look how late it is, this is a buisness that aslong as some1 is sitting in a chair it costs me money.... interms of rent, electricity, staff, plus we are professionals whose experience knowledge and skill has a value. Guys... i could go on and on about how i explained it to her and he kept refusing, telling me not to make it an issue (madam.... YOU stop making the issue) saying she would only pay £2600, of which she gave me £20 and £6 she would drop in tomorrow PLUS THE PAYMENT PENDING FROM 18TH JAN.
Sooooooo i definately learnt a few things..... importantly advance payments will help plus make it clear any work out of hours will have additional charges, but is this a client i should not give a S%!t about retaining....
or has anyone any experience like this where the client can be retained and pay properly?!?!
Thank you SO much for taking the time to read my EXTREMELY long rant.... Can't wait to see your thoughts
Monisha xXX

I am a professional, with many years of experience.
I am proud of my skills and the service I offer.....
**** OFF :p

Last edited:
Bartering AFTER she's had the service?? She has zero respect for you and is treating you as her personal flunky. Why are you allowing her to do that? You are making no money from her in reality if you also factor in all the cancellations and delays.
I also think in turn, you are treating your staff pretty badly requiring them to stay later than agreed and changing their own plans at short notice to suit the Salon. Imagine how fed up they must feel? They'll start to lose respect for you too if you carry on letting this woman walk all over you.

Just sack her as a client and refuse to accept her bookings. Let her find another mug.

In my experience, people like that only get worse the more you give in to them. Nightmare clients only remain nightmares until you wake up. I wouldn't accept any more bookings from her, the money she owes you would lose by keeping her as a client anyway the way she underpays for everything. She has no respect for the prices you have set to keep your business afloat, no respect for the work you do and no respect for you or your staff, why should you respect her or try to appease her?

Welcome to India ! Hahahah it's quite common behaviour to be quite honest with you from certain ladies who in their opinion we as workers are below them socially, we have no life. We are to her , as good as a servant. Firstly they don't pay secondly they will be the first to inconvenience you, they will drive porches and fancy cars , sooooo
What I have done to those said clients who did exactly word for word how you explained : happened to me. Except my client has a helicopter in her backyard ! Also asked for "eye make up" lands having extra and refuses to pay bcoz its "her own products" why should she pay.

So simple: next time she calls I afraid I am fully booked. If she asked to book say prices have increased is she willing to pay : before she comes into the salon ; make sure you agree before !!!! Do not so a stitch of work other then that.

Good luck !!!!

Bartering AFTER she's had the service?? She has zero respect for you and is treating you as her personal flunky. Why are you allowing her to do that? You are making no money from her in reality if you also factor in all the cancellations and delays.
I also think in turn, you are treating your staff pretty badly requiring them to stay later than agreed and changing their own plans at short notice to suit the Salon. Imagine how fed up they must feel? They'll start to lose respect for you too if you carry on letting this woman walk all over you.

Just sack her as a client and refuse to accept her bookings. Let her find another mug.

The bartering is part of the culture , it's not necessarily a sign of disrespect but can be annoying and time consuming. I deal with this daily, so I solve issue by getting price fixed paid before I start work on them.

Next time she contacts you you should politely decline to book her appointment.

You should advise her that you think;

'this salon may not be the one for her and she may be better suited at a salon elsewhere, where the prices and opening times are more to her liking'.

Honestly, you do not need that BS xx

The bartering is part of the culture , it's not necessarily a sign of disrespect but can be annoying and time consuming. I deal with this daily, so I solve issue by getting price fixed paid before I start work on them.

Exactly! Agree the price before starting work. Its not the bartering itself that's the issue as such. I enjoy the thrill of bartering in those countries where it's part of the culture.

But it's the fact she did it AFTER having the service clearly intending all along not to pay the price she was initially given. She should have negotiated on the price and given the Salon owner the opportunity to decide whether she was willing to work for xx price.

That's what I considered disrespectful and rude.

Ya it is rude , especially since she came late ! I would not have done her app and still charged her for it!

I would either cut your losses with her or say any further payments must be made upfront!
And as above tell her no bartering and maybe put up a cheeky sign
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487512135.401559.jpg
[emoji12]

Don't do it or make her pay for her treatments in advance, if she hasn't paid 48hours in advance cancel her booking xxxxx

Wow, what a loverly person

Sometimes we forget that we are the bosses, it's our business, it's us that fix our prices.

Sometimes we also forget that we don't have to take every client that calls.

Quite simple, lose the money that she owes you, and fire her. Just say you have no appointments available. Peace of mind and a great sleep at nights are far more important than the crap people give sometimes

Oh my word, you poor thing!

Take whatever she's offering and then inform her that you're not running a charity and cannot afford to retain clients who won't pay the going rate - apart from anything else, it's really unfair on all your lovely clients who ARE paying up. What would they think if they knew? I know they probably won't find out but you get my point.

She is going to bleed you dry, do yourself a favour and get rid.

You will feel sooooo much better! Imagine never having to deal with her again. Feels good eh? ;)

Oh, and establishing the price before the service is always the best way. :)

Get rid! She's costing you more than she's worth! X

I would've locked up and gone home. Stuff that

Hope you are :) To begin with she is a problem , honestly i would not even give that appointment , she doesn't respect your service , skill nothing , you should stop giving her any appointment in future , Must better of without this terrible client... In my experience people who wants bargain can never be our loyal and respectful client .... Good Luck

People will only treat you the way you let them treat you. You made too many allowances in the first place starting with the polish which then led to her thinking 'I wonder how much more I can get away with' and eventually 'this girl is a pushover and acts like my servant to I will treat her that way.

Personally when she was late the first time I wouldn't have even rang her, she is an adult and knows how to tell the time and get herself to an appointment on time. I would have sent the staff home after she was half hour with still no sign and if she had turned up I would have said "sorry, I assumed you weren't coming since its over half an hour past the start of your appointment and I hadn't heard from you." This would not be telling her but showing her that her behaviour is unacceptable and will only cause her to loose out.

Secondly when it came to the second appointment I would never have stayed open later for her knowing what she was like and would have said I am sorry but after missing your appointment this morning I am not prepared to wait around again.

Next, when she got to the price I would never have agreed for things to be paid later as you are teaching her thats ok, shes got a flash car etc, cough up, simple. Negotiating the price should have been done before and I would have told her this and I would have also said there and then, it's full price and no discounts, if she had insisted I would have said ok you can have it at discount, then taken her money she had at the time, told her not to worry about the rest she owes but also to find another salon. I would have said the thing about not bothering with dropping the rest of the money in simply because otherwise she would think 'I won't drop that money I , that will show her', you are running a business not a charity and last j checked even charity doesn't help it's cause unless it's in profit in which case the profits go to the cause.

You don't need this crappy, you bent over backwards for her and she quite frankly took the p**s out of you and your staff. Be firm in future, think of yourself and the people who really matter like your staff and valuable clients and kick people like this to the curb, and remember...people only treat you the way you let them treat you. I hope you got rid of her so you can enjoy running your salon or spa which I bet is a lovely place xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back